dual boot

Jack Posthumus

dual boot
I have a dual boot system with XP as the primary drive and vista as the
second. I wanted to try Vista before I committed to it by itself.
Question, what is the best way to make the Vista partition the primary
partition, remove XP, and resize to one partition? Is this asking too much
or can GParted do this???

John Barnes

Re: dual boot
You should double check, but odds are that your boot files for Vista are on
the XP partition. If so, at the very least, you will have to make the Vista
partition the active partition and run the startup repair using the Vista
install DVD. Then you should be able to delete the XP partition and expand
the Vista partition using Disk Management. If Disk Management won't expand
forward, Try what ever partition software you want, but make backups.

"Jack Posthumus" <jackposthumus@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I have a dual boot system with XP as the primary drive and vista as the
>second. I wanted to try Vista before I committed to it by itself.
> Question, what is the best way to make the Vista partition the primary
> partition, remove XP, and resize to one partition? Is this asking too much
> or can GParted do this???

Don

Re: dual boot
John Barnes wrote:
> You should double check, but odds are that your boot files for Vista are
> on the XP partition. If so, at the very least, you will have to make
> the Vista partition the active partition and run the startup repair
> using the Vista install DVD. Then you should be able to delete the XP
> partition and expand the Vista partition using Disk Management. If Disk
> Management won't expand forward, Try what ever partition software you
> want, but make backups.

I just checked Disk Management, which refuses to expand the Vista system
partition. I worry about gparted supporting Vista's new flavor of NTFS,
but I don't know the facts, just a worry. I do know for sure that the
latest build (2160) of Acronis Disk Director is Vista aware, so that is
definitely what I would use for this task, since I already have it ;o)

> "Jack Posthumus" <jackposthumus@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I have a dual boot system with XP as the primary drive and vista as
>> the second. I wanted to try Vista before I committed to it by itself.
>> Question, what is the best way to make the Vista partition the primary
>> partition, remove XP, and resize to one partition? Is this asking too
>> much or can GParted do this???

Richard Urban

Re: dual boot
Acronis Disk Director Suite build 2160 is Vista compatible. This means that
it will install and function with partitions (other than the system
partition) under Vista.

If you want to work with the system partition, which has many locked files
when you are in Vista, you must create the bootable emergency CD. Then
reboot into the CD you just created. Do your system partition work from
there.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban MVP
Microsoft Windows Shell/User

"Don" <don195702@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> John Barnes wrote:
>> You should double check, but odds are that your boot files for Vista are
>> on the XP partition. If so, at the very least, you will have to make
>> the Vista partition the active partition and run the startup repair
>> using the Vista install DVD. Then you should be able to delete the XP
>> partition and expand the Vista partition using Disk Management. If Disk
>> Management won't expand forward, Try what ever partition software you
>> want, but make backups.

> I just checked Disk Management, which refuses to expand the Vista system
> partition. I worry about gparted supporting Vista's new flavor of NTFS,
> but I don't know the facts, just a worry. I do know for sure that the
> latest build (2160) of Acronis Disk Director is Vista aware, so that is
> definitely what I would use for this task, since I already have it ;o)
>

>> "Jack Posthumus" <jackposthumus@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> I have a dual boot system with XP as the primary drive and vista as
>>> the second. I wanted to try Vista before I committed to it by itself.
>>> Question, what is the best way to make the Vista partition the primary
>>> partition, remove XP, and resize to one partition? Is this asking too
>>> much or can GParted do this???

John Barnes

Re: dual boot
Is it both Vista86 and Vista64 compatible? I've been reluctant to try it on
my Vista64.

> Acronis Disk Director Suite build 2160 is Vista compatible. This means
> that it will install and function with partitions (other than the system
> partition) under Vista.
>
> If you want to work with the system partition, which has many locked files
> when you are in Vista, you must create the bootable emergency CD. Then
> reboot into the CD you just created. Do your system partition work from
> there.
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban MVP
> Microsoft Windows Shell/User
>

> "Don" <don195702@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> John Barnes wrote:
>>> You should double check, but odds are that your boot files for Vista are
>>> on the XP partition. If so, at the very least, you will have to make
>>> the Vista partition the active partition and run the startup repair
>>> using the Vista install DVD. Then you should be able to delete the XP
>>> partition and expand the Vista partition using Disk Management. If Disk
>>> Management won't expand forward, Try what ever partition software you
>>> want, but make backups.

>> I just checked Disk Management, which refuses to expand the Vista system
>> partition. I worry about gparted supporting Vista's new flavor of NTFS,
>> but I don't know the facts, just a worry. I do know for sure that the
>> latest build (2160) of Acronis Disk Director is Vista aware, so that is
>> definitely what I would use for this task, since I already have it ;o)

Richard Urban

Re: dual boot
I don't use 64 bit so I can not answer.