Upgrade Windows XP Professional to Windows Vista

mcp111

Upgrade Windows XP Professional to Windows Vista
If I upgrade Windows XP Professional to Windows Vista, do I need to reinstall
my programs or will Vista automatically recognize them?
Mike Brannigan

Re: Upgrade Windows XP Professional to Windows Vista
"mcp111" <mcp111@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If I upgrade Windows XP Professional to Windows Vista, do I need to
> reinstall
> my programs or will Vista automatically recognize them?

If you upgrade and all your apps are Vista compatible then they will all
just continue to work.

--

Mike Brannigan

mcp111

Re: Upgrade Windows XP Professional to Windows Vista
Thanks.
Why are we not able to install Vista on a USB drive? I have 80gb free on my
usb drive but I can't install Vista. Why this limitation?

"Mike Brannigan" wrote:

> "mcp111" <mcp111@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > If I upgrade Windows XP Professional to Windows Vista, do I need to
> > reinstall
> > my programs or will Vista automatically recognize them?

> If you upgrade and all your apps are Vista compatible then they will all
> just continue to work.
>
> --
>
> Mike Brannigan

Bruce Chambers

mcp111 wrote:
> Thanks.
> Why are we not able to install Vista on a USB drive? I have 80gb free on my
> usb drive but I can't install Vista. Why this limitation?

It's by design, to help prevent software piracy, as an external drive
can be easily moved from on computer to another. (Of course, if those
computers aren't identical, Vista would have to be reinstalled each time
the drive is moved to a new computer, so there'd be no point in adding
the capability.) All Microsoft OS's have this "limitation."

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Upgrade Windows XP Professional to Windows Vista
USB external drives are for backups and file storage only.
Windows Vista must be installed on an internal hard drive.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP