Removing Vista

D.Duck

Removing Vista
I'm currently dual booting Vista and WinXP. I would like to delete Vista
and keep XP.

What is the proper way to remove Vista from the system?

Malke

Re: Removing Vista
D.Duck wrote:

> I'm currently dual booting Vista and WinXP. I would like to delete Vista
> and keep XP.
>
> What is the proper way to remove Vista from the system?

It depends on where you've installed both operating systems. Separate hard
drives? Separate partitions? XP on C:\ and Vista on some other
drive/partition? More details are needed to give you an accurate answer.

How to Post:

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
D.Duck

Re: Removing Vista

> D.Duck wrote:
>
>> I'm currently dual booting Vista and WinXP. I would like to delete Vista
>> and keep XP.
>>
>> What is the proper way to remove Vista from the system?

> It depends on where you've installed both operating systems. Separate hard
> drives? Separate partitions? XP on C:\ and Vista on some other
> drive/partition? More details are needed to give you an accurate answer.
>
> How to Post:
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Usenet
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375 - How to Ask a
> Question
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> Don't Panic!

XP and Vista are on the same hard drive.

XP was installed first on the C:\ partition. Sometime later Vista was
installed on the D:\ partition.

One thing I notice is that when Vista is running the two partition's letter
designations are reversed from the original XP install. In other words,
when XP is running the partition with XP's files are on the partition
labeled C:\ and the Vista files are on D:\. When Vista is running the it's
just the reverse.

Thanks.

Malke

Re: Removing Vista
D.Duck wrote:

> XP and Vista are on the same hard drive.
>
> XP was installed first on the C:\ partition. Sometime later Vista was
> installed on the D:\ partition.
>
> One thing I notice is that when Vista is running the two partition's
> letter
> designations are reversed from the original XP install. In other words,
> when XP is running the partition with XP's files are on the partition
> labeled C:\ and the Vista files are on D:\. When Vista is running the
> it's just the reverse.

The drive letter assignments will be different from within each operating
system. The important thing is that XP is apparently on the first partition
which means its boot files, currently not in use, are there too. Simply
format your D:\ partition from within XP's Administrative Tools>Computer
Management>Disk Management. Obviously you should have any data saved in
Vista backed up elsewhere! Then reboot your computer with your XP install
CD in the drive so you can get to the Recovery Console (command line). At
the command line do:

fixboot [enter]
fixmbr [enter]
exit [enter]

Remove the CD and boot into XP.

Malke

> D.Duck wrote:
>
>> XP and Vista are on the same hard drive.
>>
>> XP was installed first on the C:\ partition. Sometime later Vista was
>> installed on the D:\ partition.
>>
>> One thing I notice is that when Vista is running the two partition's
>> letter
>> designations are reversed from the original XP install. In other words,
>> when XP is running the partition with XP's files are on the partition
>> labeled C:\ and the Vista files are on D:\. When Vista is running the
>> it's just the reverse.

> The drive letter assignments will be different from within each operating
> system. The important thing is that XP is apparently on the first
> partition
> which means its boot files, currently not in use, are there too. Simply
> format your D:\ partition from within XP's Administrative Tools>Computer
> Management>Disk Management. Obviously you should have any data saved in
> Vista backed up elsewhere! Then reboot your computer with your XP install
> CD in the drive so you can get to the Recovery Console (command line). At
> the command line do:
>
> fixboot [enter]
> fixmbr [enter]
> exit [enter]