VISTA UNINSTALL

=?Utf-8?B?dGVwZWNv?=

VISTA UNINSTALL
I want to replace VISTA Home Premium with Windws XP Home. My question is, if
I do this with a brand new computer, will XP recognize all of the drivers for
the hardware that is installed on this new machine. Is it likely that I might
loose benefit of anything? I know the question is general in nature, but is
it likely that XP will recognize everything?

I have no interest in VISTA. It's pretty, it is not productive for me.
Malke

Re: VISTA UNINSTALL
tepeco wrote:
> I want to replace VISTA Home Premium with Windws XP Home. My question is, if
> I do this with a brand new computer, will XP recognize all of the drivers for
> the hardware that is installed on this new machine. Is it likely that I might
> loose benefit of anything? I know the question is general in nature, but is
> it likely that XP will recognize everything?
>
> I have no interest in VISTA. It's pretty, it is not productive for me.

There is no way to answer your question. You should go to the computer
mftr.'s website and see if there are XP drivers for that specific model
machine. If there are, download them and burn to CD-R. If there aren't,
then you will just need to try the XP install to find out. You can still
get new computers with XP in certain lines such as business and high-end
gaming. Contact the OEM to find out for sure.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
=?Utf-8?B?cGF1bA==?=

Re: VISTA UNINSTALL
Did you ever successfully install xp sp2 over vista? i want to do the same
but i can't get vista to recognize that i have an xp sp2 cd in the cd drive
at startup. and when i try to install with vista running, nothing happens...
thx for any advice / help!

"Malke" wrote:

> tepeco wrote:
> > I want to replace VISTA Home Premium with Windws XP Home. My question is, if
> > I do this with a brand new computer, will XP recognize all of the drivers for
> > the hardware that is installed on this new machine. Is it likely that I might
> > loose benefit of anything? I know the question is general in nature, but is
> > it likely that XP will recognize everything?
> >
> > I have no interest in VISTA. It's pretty, it is not productive for me.

> There is no way to answer your question. You should go to the computer
> mftr.'s website and see if there are XP drivers for that specific model
> machine. If there are, download them and burn to CD-R. If there aren't,
> then you will just need to try the XP install to find out. You can still
> get new computers with XP in certain lines such as business and high-end
> gaming. Contact the OEM to find out for sure.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

pete

Re: VISTA UNINSTALL
You cannot go back......you will need to format Vista off the drive and then
install XP
If you start your machine with the XP Cd in place it should boot to the XP
installer...new installation....format the drive Vista is on....continue
with the onscreen instructions

peter
"paul" <paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Did you ever successfully install xp sp2 over vista? i want to do the
> same
> but i can't get vista to recognize that i have an xp sp2 cd in the cd
> drive
> at startup. and when i try to install with vista running, nothing
> happens...
> thx for any advice / help!

DanR

Re: VISTA UNINSTALL
Are you saying you want to remove Vista?
Do you have a Vista DVD? If so... boot to it. Click on install now and when
you get to the page where you type in your product key, leave it blank and
continue. After a few pages you will come to a page with "disk utilities".
(or similar wording) From there you can delete the Vista partition. Then
exit... Do Not Continue. Vista and everything is now gone. You should now be
able to boot to the XP cd and format and install XP.
You should have as many XP drivers on hand as possible before you delete
Vista. Chipset, NIC, and other stuff. Burn these to CD and install after XP
loads.
So, make sure there are XP drivers for your machine first. If your computer
shipped with Vista and you have no Vista DVD you can borrow one. Any Vista
DVD will do this for you.
If by chance you have a similar problem to mine where I could not boot to
any bootable CD... check your bios for RAID settings. I had to change RAID
ON to RAID Auto-Detect.
Beware that you will need a valid install key for XP. May cost you some $$.

"paul" <paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Did you ever successfully install xp sp2 over vista? i want to do the
> same
> but i can't get vista to recognize that i have an xp sp2 cd in the cd
> drive
> at startup. and when i try to install with vista running, nothing
> happens...
> thx for any advice / help!
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> tepeco wrote:
>> > I want to replace VISTA Home Premium with Windws XP Home. My question
>> > is, if
>> > I do this with a brand new computer, will XP recognize all of the
>> > drivers for
>> > the hardware that is installed on this new machine. Is it likely that I
>> > might
>> > loose benefit of anything? I know the question is general in nature,
>> > but is
>> > it likely that XP will recognize everything?
>> >
>> > I have no interest in VISTA. It's pretty, it is not productive for me.

>> There is no way to answer your question. You should go to the computer
>> mftr.'s website and see if there are XP drivers for that specific model
>> machine. If there are, download them and burn to CD-R. If there aren't,
>> then you will just need to try the XP install to find out. You can still
>> get new computers with XP in certain lines such as business and high-end
>> gaming. Contact the OEM to find out for sure.
>>

>> Malke
>> --
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

=?Utf-8?B?dGVwZWNv?=

Re: VISTA UNINSTALL
I do have the VISTA installation disc and a legal copy of XP. I'll give this
a go. Thank you.
Larry

"DanR" wrote:

> Are you saying you want to remove Vista?
> Do you have a Vista DVD? If so... boot to it. Click on install now and when
> you get to the page where you type in your product key, leave it blank and
> continue. After a few pages you will come to a page with "disk utilities".
> (or similar wording) From there you can delete the Vista partition. Then
> exit... Do Not Continue. Vista and everything is now gone. You should now be
> able to boot to the XP cd and format and install XP.
> You should have as many XP drivers on hand as possible before you delete
> Vista. Chipset, NIC, and other stuff. Burn these to CD and install after XP
> loads.
> So, make sure there are XP drivers for your machine first. If your computer
> shipped with Vista and you have no Vista DVD you can borrow one. Any Vista
> DVD will do this for you.
> If by chance you have a similar problem to mine where I could not boot to
> any bootable CD... check your bios for RAID settings. I had to change RAID
> ON to RAID Auto-Detect.
> Beware that you will need a valid install key for XP. May cost you some $$.
>

> "paul" <paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Did you ever successfully install xp sp2 over vista? i want to do the
> > same
> > but i can't get vista to recognize that i have an xp sp2 cd in the cd
> > drive
> > at startup. and when i try to install with vista running, nothing
> > happens...
> > thx for any advice / help!

> >> There is no way to answer your question. You should go to the computer
> >> mftr.'s website and see if there are XP drivers for that specific model
> >> machine. If there are, download them and burn to CD-R. If there aren't,
> >> then you will just need to try the XP install to find out. You can still
> >> get new computers with XP in certain lines such as business and high-end
> >> gaming. Contact the OEM to find out for sure.
> >>

> >> Malke
> >> --
> >> Elephant Boy Computers
> >> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> >> "Don't Panic!"
> >> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Hugh Wyn Griffith

Re: VISTA UNINSTALL
It is not a notebook is it? If it is think many times before you
commit. More important -- check that the manufacturer has XP files for
your model of notebook.

=?Utf-8?B?dGVwZWNv?=

Re: VISTA UNINSTALL

"Hugh Wyn Griffith" wrote:

> It is not a notebook is it? If it is think many times before you
> commit. More important -- check that the manufacturer has XP files for
> your model of notebook.
>
>No Hugh, it is not a notebook. I am however running into problems from Gateway. They tell me they don't have drivers for XP and to contact Intel, the maker of the motherboard and I can't seem to get anyone at Intel to unserstand what I need. They tell me to contact Gateway. Makes you feel like a ping-pong ball.

Based upon this crappy service, I think I'm just going to return this
computer to Costco and get another one with XP already installed. I truly do
NOT like Vista. It's an pretty interface, but as an OS it totally slows me
down.
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Re: VISTA UNINSTALL
In article <2B32B68B-43F4-4CBA-8567-F607D6B6D08A@microsoft.com>, Tepeco
wrote:

> I think I'm just going to return this*
> computer to Costco and get another one with XP already installed.

If you can find what you want this is much the best solution IMO --
even if I do not dislike VISTA.

It has some features that I've been lusting for in XP -- simple things
like sort by date or other property regardless of how the View is set
in File Open and that these settings are sticky.

I like the VISTA view of Control Panel since it lists things to do
rather than things to do them with <g>

But I wouldn't go out an buy it and I definitely would not try to
upgrade a notebook. I'd make sure all my external hardware had fully
featured drivers too.