Microsoft Deployment Toolkit = Vista BSOD

madean59

Microsoft Deployment Toolkit = Vista BSOD
I give up. I read countless documents and did several Virtual Labs yet I
still can not deploy Vista using MDT. I can do this blind folded with XP.
Fresh installs or custom installs work with XP but as soon as I dod Vista all
I get is BSOD.
I have to deploy over 1000 pc's with the next few months. In preparation for
this deployment I've been testing with MDT. I have just 3 IBM/Lenovo models
to test from. T43, T60 and T61. All 3 work with Vista if I use the DVD to
install from. I also got the autounattend.xml to work w the DVD. However,
once I add the source files to MDT and try to do a fresh install, bam BSOD on
the first time it needs to reboot. I see that MDT deploys the image and I see
that all the files appear to be installing. When MDT finishes the and it
needs to reboot, well say hello to BSOD. I get the same results when I
capture a newly created Vista image.
Michael Niehaus [MS]

RE: Microsoft Deployment Toolkit = Vista BSOD
Do you know what the blue screen crash is? Is it a STOP 0x7B or something
similar?

MDT just uses Windows Vista SETUP.EXE to do the installation, started from a
custom Windows PE image. Did you add any additional drivers into the MDT
distribution share?

-Michael Niehaus
mniehaus@microsoft.com

madean59

RE: Microsoft Deployment Toolkit = Vista BSOD
This was the error:
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGE_AREA
Technical Information:
*** STOP : 0x00000050 (0xFFFF4C85, 0x0000000, 0x818834f3, 0x00000000)

but it turns out that on a fresh install of Vista Enterprise I have to
disable the step for “Inject Drivers” under the “Non-OSD only” group in the
Task Sequence. Once I stop the drivers from installing I 'm good. The issue
appears to be the mixing of XP and Vista drivers. I've been using BDD/MDT
exclusively for XP and now that I want to add Vista I don't know how to
separate the drivers or direct Vista to specific set of drivers. Any
suggestions?

"Michael Niehaus [MS]" wrote:

> Do you know what the blue screen crash is? Is it a STOP 0x7B or something
> similar?
>
> MDT just uses Windows Vista SETUP.EXE to do the installation, started from a
> custom Windows PE image. Did you add any additional drivers into the MDT
> distribution share?
>
> -Michael Niehaus
> mniehaus@microsoft.com

Michael Niehaus [MS]

RE: Microsoft Deployment Toolkit = Vista BSOD
Yes, that's definitely a driver issue. If you have a mini-dump from the
crash, we could tell you which one.

-Michael

"madean59" wrote:

> This was the error:
> PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGE_AREA
> Technical Information:
> *** STOP : 0x00000050 (0xFFFF4C85, 0x0000000, 0x818834f3, 0x00000000)
>
> but it turns out that on a fresh install of Vista Enterprise I have to
> disable the step for “Inject Drivers” under the “Non-OSD only” group in the
> Task Sequence. Once I stop the drivers from installing I 'm good. The issue
> appears to be the mixing of XP and Vista drivers. I've been using BDD/MDT
> exclusively for XP and now that I want to add Vista I don't know how to
> separate the drivers or direct Vista to specific set of drivers. Any
> suggestions?
>

> "Michael Niehaus [MS]" wrote:
>
> > Do you know what the blue screen crash is? Is it a STOP 0x7B or something
> > similar?
> >
> > MDT just uses Windows Vista SETUP.EXE to do the installation, started from a
> > custom Windows PE image. Did you add any additional drivers into the MDT
> > distribution share?
> >
> > -Michael Niehaus
> > mniehaus@microsoft.com

madean59

RE: Microsoft Deployment Toolkit = Vista BSOD
I would love to comply however, when I started this project I normally wipe
out the previous OS then format the HD and since Vista never truly runs
though it's setup process there is no mini-dump. Am I missing something?
Anyway, I thought of deleting the drivers and just re-import the XP ones.
Then create group that holds Vista drivers. The challenge would be to direct
the OS to the appropriate group. Is this possible? Mr. Arwidmark response was
-> "using driver grouping and then assign the correct driver group the
correct Task Sequencer..
How can I accomplish that?

"Michael Niehaus [MS]" wrote:

> Yes, that's definitely a driver issue. If you have a mini-dump from the
> crash, we could tell you which one.
>
> -Michael
>
> "madean59" wrote:
>
> > This was the error:
> > PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGE_AREA
> > Technical Information:
> > *** STOP : 0x00000050 (0xFFFF4C85, 0x0000000, 0x818834f3, 0x00000000)
> >
> > but it turns out that on a fresh install of Vista Enterprise I have to
> > disable the step for “Inject Drivers” under the “Non-OSD only” group in the
> > Task Sequence. Once I stop the drivers from installing I 'm good. The issue
> > appears to be the mixing of XP and Vista drivers. I've been using BDD/MDT
> > exclusively for XP and now that I want to add Vista I don't know how to
> > separate the drivers or direct Vista to specific set of drivers. Any
> > suggestions?
> >

> > "Michael Niehaus [MS]" wrote:
> >
> > > Do you know what the blue screen crash is? Is it a STOP 0x7B or something
> > > similar?
> > >
> > > MDT just uses Windows Vista SETUP.EXE to do the installation, started from a
> > > custom Windows PE image. Did you add any additional drivers into the MDT
> > > distribution share?
> > >
> > > -Michael Niehaus
> > > mniehaus@microsoft.com

Michael Niehaus [MS]

RE: Microsoft Deployment Toolkit = Vista BSOD
You can enable the dump, but it gets a little tricky - you'd have to get to
the boot menu and enable it.

To specify the driver group, you can either edit CustomSettings.ini (the
Rules tab for the deployment point) to specify something like this in the
[Default] section:

DriverGroup001=My Driver Group

However, that would apply to all task sequences (Vista and XP) so if you
need to do both just add a "Set Variable" step to the task sequence that sets
variable "DriverGroup001" to "My Driver Group" (substituting the name you
really want to use).

-Michael

"madean59" wrote:

> I would love to comply however, when I started this project I normally wipe
> out the previous OS then format the HD and since Vista never truly runs
> though it's setup process there is no mini-dump. Am I missing something?
> Anyway, I thought of deleting the drivers and just re-import the XP ones.
> Then create group that holds Vista drivers. The challenge would be to direct
> the OS to the appropriate group. Is this possible? Mr. Arwidmark response was
> -> "using driver grouping and then assign the correct driver group the
> correct Task Sequencer..
> How can I accomplish that?
>

> "Michael Niehaus [MS]" wrote:
>
> > Yes, that's definitely a driver issue. If you have a mini-dump from the
> > crash, we could tell you which one.
> >
> > -Michael
> >
> > "madean59" wrote:
> >
> > > This was the error:
> > > PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGE_AREA
> > > Technical Information:
> > > *** STOP : 0x00000050 (0xFFFF4C85, 0x0000000, 0x818834f3, 0x00000000)
> > >
> > > but it turns out that on a fresh install of Vista Enterprise I have to
> > > disable the step for “Inject Drivers” under the “Non-OSD only” group in the
> > > Task Sequence. Once I stop the drivers from installing I 'm good. The issue
> > > appears to be the mixing of XP and Vista drivers. I've been using BDD/MDT
> > > exclusively for XP and now that I want to add Vista I don't know how to
> > > separate the drivers or direct Vista to specific set of drivers. Any
> > > suggestions?

madean59

RE: Microsoft Deployment Toolkit = Vista BSOD
Yahoo!!! You did it. Your explaination was perfect. I was able to understand
it and implement it. That's a 1st for me. Thank you. U Da Man! I will now
try this on several other PC's to see if this wasn't a one hit wonder. Thanks
again.