Resize Cluster to 16K on the boot drive

Dattron

Resize Cluster to 16K on the boot drive
Can vista 32 pro install on an ntfs partition formated with 16k clusters. If
so how can I format the drive to 16k clusters using the vista boot cd, are
there any steps or commands I need to do during the boot sequence? And are
there any "stable" third party programs or suggestions so I don't have to
dump the current os that is on the drive? As I believe that the image file
restores the cluster size.

thanks, any thoughts?
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Resize Cluster to 16K on the boot drive
Why are you desiring 16k clusters? That is a very wasteful
parameter.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Dattron" <Dattron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6E1C62ED-EEBB-4DE0-B68D-700E408CA092@microsoft.com...
Can vista 32 pro install on an ntfs partition formated with 16k clusters. If
so how can I format the drive to 16k clusters using the vista boot cd, are
there any steps or commands I need to do during the boot sequence? And are
there any "stable" third party programs or suggestions so I don't have to
dump the current os that is on the drive? As I believe that the image file
restores the cluster size.

thanks, any thoughts?
Dattron

Re: Resize Cluster to 16K on the boot drive
Shadow copies may be lost when you defragment a volume

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312067/en-us

Article ID : 312067

SYMPTOMS
When you run Disk Defragmenter on a volume with shadow copies activated, all
or some of your shadow copies may be lost, starting with the oldest shadow
copies.

After the shadow copies are lost, events that are similar to the following
may be logged in the System log:

RESOLUTION
If the file system's cluster size is 16 KB or larger, the provider can
recognize disk defragmentation I/O and handle it correctly. Microsoft
recommends that you use a 16-KB or larger cluster allocation unit size when
you format the volume if you plan to defragment volumes that are used for
shadow copies of shared folders, .

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Why are you desiring 16k clusters? That is a very wasteful
> parameter.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Desktop Experience -
> Windows Vista Enthusiast

> "Dattron" <Dattron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6E1C62ED-EEBB-4DE0-B68D-700E408CA092@microsoft.com...
> Can vista 32 pro install on an ntfs partition formated with 16k clusters. If
> so how can I format the drive to 16k clusters using the vista boot cd, are
> there any steps or commands I need to do during the boot sequence? And are
> there any "stable" third party programs or suggestions so I don't have to
> dump the current os that is on the drive? As I believe that the image file
> restores the cluster size.
>
> thanks, any thoughts?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Resize Cluster to 16K on the boot drive
The KB article you referenced only applies to
Windows Server 2003 editions and not Vista.

--

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Why are you desiring 16k clusters? That is a very wasteful
> parameter.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Desktop Experience -
> Windows Vista Enthusiast

> "Dattron" <Dattron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6E1C62ED-EEBB-4DE0-B68D-700E408CA092@microsoft.com...
> Can vista 32 pro install on an ntfs partition formated with 16k clusters. If
> so how can I format the drive to 16k clusters using the vista boot cd, are
> there any steps or commands I need to do during the boot sequence? And are
> there any "stable" third party programs or suggestions so I don't have to
> dump the current os that is on the drive? As I believe that the image file
> restores the cluster size.
>
> thanks, any thoughts?

Dragor

Re: Resize Cluster to 16K on the boot drive

you could try recovery console. Must find a way to open it after booting
off Vista DVD though. Once inside, use format <volume> /a:16K

--
Dragor

My rig: Intel Core2Duo E6300 @1.86GHz, 1.5GB DDR2SDRAM 667MHz, nVidia
GeForce 6600 256MB PCI-E, ASUS P5LD2VM-SE [Intel 945 Chipset] mobo, 400
W PSU.
Dattron

Re: Resize Cluster to 16K on the boot drive
Carey my mistake, however there is a similar one posted for vista, I will
link the url later as I am on my way out the door and need to search for it.

Mike

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> The KB article you referenced only applies to
> Windows Server 2003 editions and not Vista.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Desktop Experience -
> Windows Vista Enthusiast

> "Dattron" <Dattron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B38C0601-71CE-43CD-8D29-5A3496FBF229@microsoft.com...
> Shadow copies may be lost when you defragment a volume

> Article ID : 312067
>
> SYMPTOMS
> When you run Disk Defragmenter on a volume with shadow copies activated, all
> or some of your shadow copies may be lost, starting with the oldest shadow
> copies.
>
> After the shadow copies are lost, events that are similar to the following
> may be logged in the System log:
>
> RESOLUTION
> If the file system's cluster size is 16 KB or larger, the provider can
> recognize disk defragmentation I/O and handle it correctly. Microsoft
> recommends that you use a 16-KB or larger cluster allocation unit size when
> you format the volume if you plan to defragment volumes that are used for
> shadow copies of shared folders, .
>

> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Why are you desiring 16k clusters? That is a very wasteful
> > parameter.
> >
> > --
> > Carey Frisch
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows Desktop Experience -
> > Windows Vista Enthusiast

> > "Dattron" <Dattron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6E1C62ED-EEBB-4DE0-B68D-700E408CA092@microsoft.com...
> > Can vista 32 pro install on an ntfs partition formated with 16k clusters. If
> > so how can I format the drive to 16k clusters using the vista boot cd, are
> > there any steps or commands I need to do during the boot sequence? And are
> > there any "stable" third party programs or suggestions so I don't have to
> > dump the current os that is on the drive? As I believe that the image file
> > restores the cluster size.
> >
> > thanks, any thoughts?

Dattron

Re: Resize Cluster to 16K on the boot drive
Sorry Carey can't locate the vista article on the subject. .....I'll keep
looking