Another boot problem

Michal Kawecki

Re: Another boot problem
Look at my previous post and try using command 'bootsect /nt52 c:
/force'. Or simply boot your XP installation CD nad run 'fixboot c:'
command from Recovery Console. Additionally you can also correct your
Boot.ini file with command bootcfg /rebuild.
--
Michal Kawecki [Windows - Shell/User MVP]
Warsaw, PL

"Jack" <replyto@it> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I have dual boot system with WinXP installed on drive C and
> Vista installed on drive D.
> Drive D is the second hard drive not a partition.
> I need some work to have done on my computer so I disconnected D drive
> from the system,
> thinking I can still boot from WinXP.
> No sir.
> First of all there is not Vista boot manager popping up or at least I
> think it is not Vista Boot manager because screen looks differently.
> And it does not matter what I select from the menu:
> 'Boot in the last known good configuration'
> or
> 'Normal mode'
> or
> 'Save mode'
> booting just restarts computer to the same menu available.
> I have tried to use F8 button at the start and once I was even able to
> have:
> Windows XP Professional menu to click on but each time it leads to
> restarting the computer.
>
> Is there any way to start my WinXP with Vista drive removed from the
> system?
> Your thoughts appreciated,
> Jack

John Barnett MVP

Re: Another boot problem
It's not working because the boot manager files for Vista are on the XP
drive and because it can't find Vista the boot files are creating a
continuous loop and you can't boot into XP. The boot manager files need to
be removed in order for you to boot back into XP. Maybe the easiest way
would be to refit your Vista drive and then boot as normal. Download the
free application VistaBootPro and install it. Run VistaBootPro and there
should be a tab for bootloader. Click the bootloader tab and then choose to
'uninstall the vista bootloader' This will then remove the Vista boot files.
If you now reboot only XP will be available. After you close down you can
then remove your Vista drive.

After having your pc returned from the repairer then the fun starts.
Re-connect the Vista drive and nothing will work again. To get it to work
you will need your Vista DVD (visit this link on my website:
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/vista_d...er_options.htm )

Choose the Startup repair option and this will replace the boot manager
files and you should be able to dual boot once again with XP and Vista.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Jack" <replyto@it> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I have dual boot system with WinXP installed on drive C and
> Vista installed on drive D.
> Drive D is the second hard drive not a partition.
> I need some work to have done on my computer so I disconnected D drive
> from the system,
> thinking I can still boot from WinXP.
> No sir.
> First of all there is not Vista boot manager popping up or at least I
> think it is not Vista Boot manager because screen looks differently.
> And it does not matter what I select from the menu:
> 'Boot in the last known good configuration'
> or
> 'Normal mode'
> or
> 'Save mode'
> booting just restarts computer to the same menu available.
> I have tried to use F8 button at the start and once I was even able to
> have:
> Windows XP Professional menu to click on but each time it leads to
> restarting the computer.
>
> Is there any way to start my WinXP with Vista drive removed from the
> system?
> Your thoughts appreciated,
> Jack

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

Re: Another boot problem

"John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote

John...

Would you have a look at this thread please...

"Dual Boot" - Thursday, March 15, 2007 1:14 PM

Beginning with this post": news:7WgKh.13946$rp4.10205@trnddc02

Cheers,

DM

John Barnett MVP

Re: Another boot problem
David, if you already have XP installed on your PC then all you need do is
create a new partition for Vista and then install Vista on the new
partition. XP currently is on partition C:, i assume your CD/DVD-ROM takes
up D: so ,theoretically, the next partition your create will be E: (or
whatever it is) Install Vista to this partition. After install, and when you
reboot, you will see a boot menu appear giving you the option to boot into
XP or Vista. Now if you boot into XP then the drive letter will be C: and
your Vista will be E (or whatever). If you boot into Vista first you will
find that Vista takes the C: drive letter and XP takes the E: drive letter.
Either way, whichever operating system you are using at the time the drive
letter for that operating system will always be C:

I dual boot with XP professional and Vista Ultimate. For simplicity always
make sure you install XP first followed by Vista.