Microsoft not fully supporting 64 bit?

Greg

Microsoft not fully supporting 64 bit?
I built a Vista PC a month ago and transferred my settings from my now
defunct XP PC. However, when I tried to transfer my apps so I could avoid
installing most of them again, the Easy Transfer Companion program said it
would not run on a 64 bit OS. So an MS product (WETC) does not support
another MS product, Windows Vista 64-bit?!? How hard is it for them to
create a 64-bit version of WETC?
Nonny

Re: Microsoft not fully supporting 64 bit?
On Tue, 6 May 2008 09:18:01 -0700, Greg
<Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I built a Vista PC a month ago and transferred my settings from my now
>defunct XP PC. However, when I tried to transfer my apps so I could avoid
>installing most of them again, the Easy Transfer Companion program said it
>would not run on a 64 bit OS.

AFAIK there is no way to keep from having to reinstall your programs
once you've done a clean install.

You can transfer email and IE settings and data as well as particular
directories (your choice) but you will still have to reinstall your
programs.

I just went through all of that last week.

BTW... transferring Program File directories will help you keep
individualized settings in your programs when you reinstall them.
Greg

Re: Microsoft not fully supporting 64 bit?
Thanks for the advice of copying program folders from the old PC after I
reinstall the programs on Visat. The old PC is gone but its c: drive is in
an external case I can access from the Vista PC.

"Nonny" wrote:

> On Tue, 6 May 2008 09:18:01 -0700, Greg
> <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I built a Vista PC a month ago and transferred my settings from my now
> >defunct XP PC. However, when I tried to transfer my apps so I could avoid
> >installing most of them again, the Easy Transfer Companion program said it
> >would not run on a 64 bit OS.

> AFAIK there is no way to keep from having to reinstall your programs
> once you've done a clean install.
>
> You can transfer email and IE settings and data as well as particular
> directories (your choice) but you will still have to reinstall your
> programs.
>
> I just went through all of that last week.
>
> BTW... transferring Program File directories will help you keep
> individualized settings in your programs when you reinstall them.

Curious

Re: Microsoft not fully supporting 64 bit?
You will most likely still have to reinstall the apps since first not all of
their files are stored in their C drive folder and since none of their
Registry entries are in their C drive folder.
"Greg" <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the advice of copying program folders from the old PC after I
> reinstall the programs on Visat. The old PC is gone but its c: drive is
> in
> an external case I can access from the Vista PC.
>
> "Nonny" wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 6 May 2008 09:18:01 -0700, Greg
>> <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I built a Vista PC a month ago and transferred my settings from my now
>> >defunct XP PC. However, when I tried to transfer my apps so I could
>> >avoid
>> >installing most of them again, the Easy Transfer Companion program said
>> >it
>> >would not run on a 64 bit OS.

>> AFAIK there is no way to keep from having to reinstall your programs
>> once you've done a clean install.
>>
>> You can transfer email and IE settings and data as well as particular
>> directories (your choice) but you will still have to reinstall your
>> programs.
>>
>> I just went through all of that last week.
>>
>> BTW... transferring Program File directories will help you keep
>> individualized settings in your programs when you reinstall them.

Bender

Re: Microsoft not fully supporting 64 bit?
The Easy Transfer Companion the OP is referring to is not the Windows Easy
Transfer program used to transfer files and settings. The Companion version
is designed to transfer programs as well.
I tried to use it but could not get it to work through my local network.
Also it is only available on computers set to US English settings on both
computers. It would also appear that it only works on the 32 bit versions of
Windows by the OP's comments.