Dual boot - private / company

Michel777

Dual boot - private / company
Dear community,

our notebooks should be used non-corporate and corporate.

Corporate: the Windows is frozen, unmanaged. No updates, no patches and only
an application is running and only this application can communicate with the
server (db replication). The user can only wiht this application interact, he
has no other access (application, filesystem, USB, network,...).

Non-Corporate: no restrictions, the user bears responsibility for updates,
virusscanning, etc. But in this mode the access to corporate network ist not
allowed. Access to other networks is allowed (e.g. internet provider).

Because of that we need two Windows. Questions regarding this:

1. How to install the two windows, that the corporate Windows never be
damaged ?
2. How to distinguish in the corporate network, which Windows is trying
access the network ? A simply safe way would be using two different network
cards, but is surely not mandatory.
3. Is there any further aspect to consider ?

Thank you in advance,

Michel
Kerry Brown

Re: Dual boot - private / company
With some notebooks the hard drive can be changed in a few seconds. Look for
a notebook with this feature then issue two drives with each notebook.

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

"Michel777" <Michel777@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dear community,
>
> our notebooks should be used non-corporate and corporate.
>
> Corporate: the Windows is frozen, unmanaged. No updates, no patches and
> only
> an application is running and only this application can communicate with
> the
> server (db replication). The user can only wiht this application interact,
> he
> has no other access (application, filesystem, USB, network,...).
>
> Non-Corporate: no restrictions, the user bears responsibility for updates,
> virusscanning, etc. But in this mode the access to corporate network ist
> not
> allowed. Access to other networks is allowed (e.g. internet provider).
>
> Because of that we need two Windows. Questions regarding this:
>
> 1. How to install the two windows, that the corporate Windows never be
> damaged ?
> 2. How to distinguish in the corporate network, which Windows is trying
> access the network ? A simply safe way would be using two different
> network
> cards, but is surely not mandatory.
> 3. Is there any further aspect to consider ?
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> Michel

Michel777

Re: Dual boot - private / company
Hi Kerry,

we have already the devices. There is no chance to change the driver without
screwdriver.

Additional information: the two Windows will be different: XP and Vista.

Thanks in advance,

Michel

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> With some notebooks the hard drive can be changed in a few seconds. Look for
> a notebook with this feature then issue two drives with each notebook.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/
>

> "Michel777" <Michel777@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Dear community,
> >
> > our notebooks should be used non-corporate and corporate.
> >
> > Corporate: the Windows is frozen, unmanaged. No updates, no patches and
> > only
> > an application is running and only this application can communicate with
> > the
> > server (db replication). The user can only wiht this application interact,
> > he
> > has no other access (application, filesystem, USB, network,...).
> >
> > Non-Corporate: no restrictions, the user bears responsibility for updates,
> > virusscanning, etc. But in this mode the access to corporate network ist
> > not
> > allowed. Access to other networks is allowed (e.g. internet provider).
> >
> > Because of that we need two Windows. Questions regarding this:
> >
> > 1. How to install the two windows, that the corporate Windows never be
> > damaged ?
> > 2. How to distinguish in the corporate network, which Windows is trying
> > access the network ? A simply safe way would be using two different
> > network
> > cards, but is surely not mandatory.
> > 3. Is there any further aspect to consider ?
> >
> > Thank you in advance,
> >
> > Michel

Kerry Brown

Re: Dual boot - private / company
You'll need a 3rd party app then. I've used Acronis Disk Director Suite for
other tasks but I've never tried the boot manager. It looks like it should
work.

http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/pr...tibooting.html

I've heard good things about this product. I've used it in the past but have
no current experience. It worked well with XP when I was using it.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/boo...generation.htm

There are other products that should work as well. Whatever you use will
need to be compatible with Vista and able to hide the partition not in use.