Problems with Vista Ultimate

Martin Hazel

Problems with Vista Ultimate
I bought a new copy of Vista Ultimate when it came out, and have had minor
niggles, but this one has realy got me going. First I tried to install SP1
which failed saying it couldn't write some files to disk (after the reboot
step 1 of 3) then ever since this has happened on reboot the PC goes into
CHKDisk and insists on checking the disk every time. Its also locked my USB
keyboard up until the boot screen appears so I can't go into bios or CD to
boot from cd

Anyone any ideas how I can fix this without a full re-install?

Nonny

Re: Problems with Vista Ultimate
On Tue, 6 May 2008 09:10:56 +0100, "Martin Hazel"
<martin.hazel(n0spaM)@btclick.com> wrote:

>I bought a new copy of Vista Ultimate when it came out, and have had minor
>niggles, but this one has realy got me going. First I tried to install SP1
>which failed saying it couldn't write some files to disk (after the reboot
>step 1 of 3) then ever since this has happened on reboot the PC goes into
>CHKDisk and insists on checking the disk every time. Its also locked my USB
>keyboard up until the boot screen appears so I can't go into bios or CD to
>boot from cd

Windows can't "lock" your USB keyboard up when it's not running, so if
you're unable to get into the BIOS, it's not a Windows problem, it's a
problem with however you are trying to get into the BIOS, or you have
a keyboard problem.
Martin Hazel

Re: Problems with Vista Ultimate
The Keyboard is Fine, it works on all my other machines, And Yes Windows can
lock up drivers whilst its booting. When the windows bar appears if you
normally press F8 you get the load options, not here though.
"Nonny" <nonnymoose@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 6 May 2008 09:10:56 +0100, "Martin Hazel"
> <martin.hazel(n0spaM)@btclick.com> wrote:
>
>>I bought a new copy of Vista Ultimate when it came out, and have had minor
>>niggles, but this one has realy got me going. First I tried to install SP1
>>which failed saying it couldn't write some files to disk (after the reboot
>>step 1 of 3) then ever since this has happened on reboot the PC goes into
>>CHKDisk and insists on checking the disk every time. Its also locked my
>>USB
>>keyboard up until the boot screen appears so I can't go into bios or CD to
>>boot from cd

> Windows can't "lock" your USB keyboard up when it's not running, so if
> you're unable to get into the BIOS, it's not a Windows problem, it's a
> problem with however you are trying to get into the BIOS, or you have
> a keyboard problem.

Mike Hall - MVP

"Martin Hazel" <martin.hazel(n0spaM)@btclick.com> wrote in message
> The Keyboard is Fine, it works on all my other machines, And Yes Windows
> can lock up drivers whilst its booting. When the windows bar appears if
> you normally press F8 you get the load options, not here though.
> "Nonny" <nonnymoose@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 6 May 2008 09:10:56 +0100, "Martin Hazel"
>> <martin.hazel(n0spaM)@btclick.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I bought a new copy of Vista Ultimate when it came out, and have had
>>>minor
>>>niggles, but this one has realy got me going. First I tried to install
>>>SP1
>>>which failed saying it couldn't write some files to disk (after the
>>>reboot
>>>step 1 of 3) then ever since this has happened on reboot the PC goes into
>>>CHKDisk and insists on checking the disk every time. Its also locked my
>>>USB
>>>keyboard up until the boot screen appears so I can't go into bios or CD
>>>boot from cd

>> Windows can't "lock" your USB keyboard up when it's not running, so if
>> you're unable to get into the BIOS, it's not a Windows problem, it's a
>> problem with however you are trying to get into the BIOS, or you have
>> a keyboard problem.

Connect a PS/2 keyboard, go into BIOS, and then enable Legacy USB support
and anything else to do with USB..

After having done this, re-connect your USB keyboard..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Nonny

Re: Problems with Vista Ultimate
On Wed, 7 May 2008 11:52:13 +0100, "Martin Hazel"
<martin.hazel(n0spaM)@btclick.com> wrote:

>The Keyboard is Fine, it works on all my other machines, And Yes Windows can
>lock up drivers whilst its booting. When the windows bar appears if you
>normally press F8 you get the load options, not here though.

I wasn't talking about waiting until you see Windows loading.

When the Windows bar appears, it's too late.

You have to hit F8 during POST... when all the white text is flowing
showing you the system memory, etc. - or your manufacturer's screen.

To enter the BIOS, same thing. Start tapping your DEL key as soon as
you see the first screen/screens BEFORE you see Windows is loading.
Martin Hazel

"Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@remove_mvps.com> wrote in message
> "Martin Hazel" <martin.hazel(n0spaM)@btclick.com> wrote in message
>> The Keyboard is Fine, it works on all my other machines, And Yes Windows
>> can lock up drivers whilst its booting. When the windows bar appears if
>> you normally press F8 you get the load options, not here though.
>> "Nonny" <nonnymoose@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> Windows can't "lock" your USB keyboard up when it's not running, so if
>>> you're unable to get into the BIOS, it's not a Windows problem, it's a
>>> problem with however you are trying to get into the BIOS, or you have
>>> a keyboard problem.

> Connect a PS/2 keyboard, go into BIOS, and then enable Legacy USB support
> and anything else to do with USB..
>
> After having done this, re-connect your USB keyboard..
>
> --
> Mike Hall - MVP
> How to construct a good post..
> http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm
> How to use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups..
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...help&style=toc
> Mike's Window - My Blog..

Hi Mike.

Tried that already I can get into the BIOS and the USB keyboard lights up as
if its active, yet it gets to the Windows Loading screen (the one with the
scrolling dots) then goes into windows startup recovery but locks the
keyboard out again completely so you have to wait for the countdown to
finish before it goes into Checking Filesys, CHKDSK stages 1-5 every single
time. Once I manage to get the machine loaded I've done a disk diag and come
up with no bad sectors, I've defragged and still keep coming back to the
same problem

Martin