Can I install Windows Vista on another computer after decommisioning the one on which it was installed previously?

Anurag Mathur

Can I install Windows Vista on another computer after decommisioning the one on which it was installed previously?
Hi Gurus,

I have an old computer on which I have installed my purchased copy of
Windows Vista Ultimate edition. It has reached its end-of-life and I am
about to decommission it.

I want to purchase a customized desktop and install the same copy of Windows
Vista Ultimate on it after removing it from the old machine (formatting old
machine's hard drive). Can I install Windows Vista on another computer after
decommissioning the one on which it was installed previously? Is this legal?
Do I need to notify Microsoft about it? How can this be achieved? Do I need
to re-activate the copy of Windows Vista?

regards,
Anurag

Nonny

Re: Can I install Windows Vista on another computer after decommisioning the one on which it was installed previously?
On Mon, 5 May 2008 23:00:47 +0530, "Anurag Mathur"
<mathuranurag1982@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Can I install Windows Vista on another computer after
>decommissioning the one on which it was installed previously? Is this legal?

Yes, and yes.

>Do I need to notify Microsoft about it? How can this be achieved? Do I need
>to re-activate the copy of Windows Vista?

You will have to activate it again.
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Can I install Windows Vista on another computer after decommisioning the one on which it was installed previously?
Since you state it's a retail copy, yes you can install it on a second PC
after decommissioning the older one.

You will have to activate it again (just like last time)... it may activate
online, but if it doesn't, use the telephone option and explain that that
old PC is no longer working. It will only take a few minutes and in most
cases, is a toll free call.
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

"Anurag Mathur" <mathuranurag1982@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Gurus,
>
> I have an old computer on which I have installed my purchased copy of
> Windows Vista Ultimate edition. It has reached its end-of-life and I am
> about to decommission it.
>
> I want to purchase a customized desktop and install the same copy of
> Windows Vista Ultimate on it after removing it from the old machine
> (formatting old machine's hard drive). Can I install Windows Vista on
> another computer after decommissioning the one on which it was installed
> previously? Is this legal? Do I need to notify Microsoft about it? How can
> this be achieved? Do I need to re-activate the copy of Windows Vista?
>
> regards,
> Anurag

.Joe

Anurag Mathur;703418 Wrote:
> Hi Gurus,
>
> I have an old computer on which I have installed my purchased copy of
> Windows Vista Ultimate edition. It has reached its end-of-life and I am
> about to decommission it.
>
> I want to purchase a customized desktop and install the same copy of
> Windows
> Vista Ultimate on it after removing it from the old machine (formatting
> old
> machine's hard drive). Can I install Windows Vista on another computer
> after
> decommissioning the one on which it was installed previously? Is this
> legal?
> Do I need to notify Microsoft about it? How can this be achieved? Do I
> need
> to re-activate the copy of Windows Vista?
>
> regards,
> Anurag

Anurag:

This tutorial may assist you with reactivating Vista:
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/84...sta-phone.html

Best wishes,

--
.Joe

_[image:
http://uswave.net/vistax64/joetmvx64.png] (\"http://uswave.net/vistax64/joetmvx64.png\")_
_*::Vista_Forums::* (\"http://www.vistax64.com/\")_
_Geekbench_Score:_4031 (\"http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/51273\")_
_CPU-Z (\"http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=345866\")_

Bonanza is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Can I install Windows Vista on another computer after decommisioning the one on which it was installed previously?
I’ve decided to throw in the towel after spending far too many hours trying to debug Vista64 Home Premium issues on a brand new machine. It’s a full retail copy – how do I decommission it in the unlikely event that I would want to install it on another computer?
Rick Rogers

Re: Can I install Windows Vista on another computer after decommisioning the one on which it was installed previously?
Hi,

You don't "decommission" it, you simply install it on a new machine when
you're ready. When you go to activate, if the existing activation is still
in the database, you will be prompted to phone in the new activation as it
will show that the license is currently in use. When you make the call you
need only tell them you are installing it on a different system and have
removed it from the original one and you will be provided with a new
activation code.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Bonanza" <Bonanza.3npwo2@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> I’ve decided to throw in the towel after spending far too many
> hours trying to debug Vista64 Home Premium issues on a brand new
> machine. It’s a full retail copy – how do I decommission it
> in the unlikely event that I would want to install it on another
> computer?
>

> --
> Bonanza

Mick Murphy

Re: Can I install Windows Vista on another computer after decommis
Just install the retail version of Vista that you have on another computer.
You will have to do a phone activation, as you will get a "key already in
use".

Then install an Operating System on the computer in question, deleting the
existing Vista partition, formatting, etc.

Or use Boot and Nuke:
http://www.dban.org/about
--
Mad Mike

"Bonanza" wrote:

> I’ve decided to throw in the towel after spending far too many
> hours trying to debug Vista64 Home Premium issues on a brand new
> machine. It’s a full retail copy – how do I decommission it
> in the unlikely event that I would want to install it on another
> computer?
>

> --
> Bonanza

John Barnett MVP

Re: Can I install Windows Vista on another computer after decommisioning the one on which it was installed previously?
Just remove it from the old machine and then re-install it on the new
machine. On activation you will be told that 'the product key is already in
use' and that you cannot activate over the internet. Simply use the
'telephone' option instead and it should activate. The telephone option is
automated. If you have any problems just stay on the line after the
automated sequence has finished and you will be put through to a 'real'
person who will be able to help you activate.

John Barnett MVP
Windows XP Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://www.winuser.co.uk