Remove or KILL KMS server?

Karl Mitschke

Remove or KILL KMS server?
We have a vista PC that is regestered in DNS as a KMS server (nslookup -q=SRV
_VLMCS._TCP shows this PC)

How can we have the person who is running this PC kill the KMS service so
we can create a valid KMS on a Server 2003 or 2008 box?

Thanks

Karl

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

RE: Remove or KILL KMS server?
Hello Karl,
Change the product key back to the generic volume key.
The keys are listed per sku in the Planning Guide
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...83E-C8A5-4475-
B025-66C6B38B46E3&displaylang=en#filelist

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
| >Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 14:08:19 +0000 (UTC)
| >From: Karl Mitschke <kmitschke@somestate.gov>
| >Subject: Remove or KILL KMS server?
| >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
| >
| >We have a vista PC that is regestered in DNS as a KMS server (nslookup
-q=SRV
| >_VLMCS._TCP shows this PC)
| >
| >How can we have the person who is running this PC kill the KMS service
so
| >we can create a valid KMS on a Server 2003 or 2008 box?
| >
| >Thanks
| >
| >Karl

Karl Mitschke

RE: Remove or KILL KMS server?
Hello Darrell Gorter[MSFT],

Do you have a page number, or any other reference, cause I searced all through
the planning document, as well as several others, and see nothing.

Thanks

Karl

> Hello Karl,
> Change the product key back to the generic volume key.
> The keys are listed per sku in the Planning Guide
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...=9893F83E-C8A5
> -4475-
> B025-66C6B38B46E3&displaylang=en#filelist
> Thanks,
> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
> rights
> --------------------
> | >Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 14:08:19 +0000 (UTC)
> | >From: Karl Mitschke <kmitschke@somestate.gov>
> | >Subject: Remove or KILL KMS server?
> | >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
> | >
> | >We have a vista PC that is regestered in DNS as a KMS server
> (nslookup
> -q=SRV
> | >_VLMCS._TCP shows this PC)
> | >
> | >How can we have the person who is running this PC kill the KMS
> service
> so
> | >we can create a valid KMS on a Server 2003 or 2008 box?
> | >
> | >Thanks
> | >
> | >Karl

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

RE: Remove or KILL KMS server?
Hello Karl,
Sorry it's in the Deployment Guide, not the planning guide
Page 19.
I had multiple documents open and referenced the wrong one.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
| >Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 19:44:02 +0000 (UTC)
| >From: Karl Mitschke <kmitschke@somestate.gov>
| >Subject: RE: Remove or KILL KMS server?
| >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
| >
| >Hello Darrell Gorter[MSFT],
| >
| >Do you have a page number, or any other reference, cause I searced all
through
| >the planning document, as well as several others, and see nothing.
| >
| >Thanks
| >
| >Karl
| >
| >> Hello Karl,
| >> Change the product key back to the generic volume key.
| >> The keys are listed per sku in the Planning Guide
| >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...=9893F83E-C8A5
| >> -4475-
| >> B025-66C6B38B46E3&displaylang=en#filelist
| >> Thanks,
| >> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
| >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
| >> rights
| >> --------------------

| >> (nslookup
| >> -q=SRV

| >> service
| >> so

Karl Mitschke

RE: Remove or KILL KMS server?
Hello Darrell Gorter[MSFT],

Just to be clear;

On page 19 I see "KMS Client Setup Keys"

Should I have my user use one of those "Windows Vista Enterprise" keys, and
if so, what's the difference between 'Windows Vista Enterprise" and "Windows
Vista Enterprise N" ?

Karl

> Hello Karl,
> Sorry it's in the Deployment Guide, not the planning guide
> Page 19.
> I had multiple documents open and referenced the wrong one.
> Thanks,
> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
> rights
> --------------------
> | >Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 19:44:02 +0000 (UTC)
> | >From: Karl Mitschke <kmitschke@somestate.gov>
> | >Subject: RE: Remove or KILL KMS server?
> | >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
> | >
> | >Hello Darrell Gorter[MSFT],
> | >
> | >Do you have a page number, or any other reference, cause I searced
> all
> through
> | >the planning document, as well as several others, and see nothing.
> | >
> | >Thanks
> | >
> | >Karl

> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...=9893F83E-C8A5
> no

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

RE: Remove or KILL KMS server?
Hello Karl,
Yes those are the default installation keys, the media comes with those
keys. Those keys are used by KMS client machines. During setup of Volume
License Windows VIsta media those are the keys that are used to complete
setup so you are not prompted for a key.
Those keys will look for a KMS server to activate with.
Which sku did you install? You need to use the key of the installed OS

Windows Vista Enterprise N is the sku without Media Player.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
| >Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 13:52:21 +0000 (UTC)
| >From: Karl Mitschke <kmitschke@somestate.gov>
| >Subject: RE: Remove or KILL KMS server?
| >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
| >
| >Hello Darrell Gorter[MSFT],
| >
| >Just to be clear;
| >
| >On page 19 I see "KMS Client Setup Keys"
| >
| >Should I have my user use one of those "Windows Vista Enterprise" keys,
and
| >if so, what's the difference between 'Windows Vista Enterprise" and
"Windows
| >Vista Enterprise N" ?
| >
| >Karl
| >

| >> Hello Karl,
| >> Sorry it's in the Deployment Guide, not the planning guide
| >> Page 19.
| >> I had multiple documents open and referenced the wrong one.
| >> Thanks,
| >> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
| >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
| >> rights
| >> --------------------

| >> all
| >> through

| >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...=9893F83E-C8A5
| >> no

Karl Mitschke

RE: Remove or KILL KMS server?
Hello Darrell Gorter[MSFT],

I had my users do this:

1. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs,
click Accessories, right-click command prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

2. To install the KMS key, at the command prompt type the following, and
then press Enter: cscript \windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ipk YFKBB-PQJJV-G996G-VWGXY-2V3X8
3. Reboot the Vista PC

This did not work. They recreated their SRV records.

Karl

> Hello Karl,
> Yes those are the default installation keys, the media comes with
> those
> keys. Those keys are used by KMS client machines. During setup of
> Volume
> License Windows VIsta media those are the keys that are used to
> complete
> setup so you are not prompted for a key.
> Those keys will look for a KMS server to activate with.
> Which sku did you install? You need to use the key of the installed OS
> Windows Vista Enterprise N is the sku without Media Player.
>
> Thanks,
> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
> rights
> --------------------
> | >Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 13:52:21 +0000 (UTC)
> | >From: Karl Mitschke <kmitschke@somestate.gov>
> | >Subject: RE: Remove or KILL KMS server?
> | >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
> | >
> | >Hello Darrell Gorter[MSFT],
> | >
> | >Just to be clear;
> | >
> | >On page 19 I see "KMS Client Setup Keys"
> | >
> | >Should I have my user use one of those "Windows Vista Enterprise"
> keys,
> and
> | >if so, what's the difference between 'Windows Vista Enterprise" and
> "Windows
> | >Vista Enterprise N" ?
> | >
> | >Karl

> no

> searced
> nothing.

> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...=9893F83E-C8A5
> confers
> microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
> TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP01.phx.gbl!TK2MSF TNGP02.phx.gbl

> server

> the KMS

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

RE: Remove or KILL KMS server?
Hello Karl,
This should have only been done on the machine that was acting as the KMS
host machine.
Not the rest of the clients.
So when you said you have your users change to this product key, which
users did you have change to that key?
The machines running as KMS clients or the machines running as KMS host
machines?
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
| >Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 19:01:23 +0000 (UTC)
| >From: Karl Mitschke <kmitschke@somestate.gov>
| >Subject: RE: Remove or KILL KMS server?
| >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
| >
| >Hello Darrell Gorter[MSFT],
| >
| >I had my users do this:
| >
| >1. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All
Programs,
| >click Accessories, right-click command prompt, and then click Run as
administrator.

| >2. To install the KMS key, at the command prompt type the following, and
| >then press Enter: cscript \windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ipk
YFKBB-PQJJV-G996G-VWGXY-2V3X8
| >3. Reboot the Vista PC
| >
| >This did not work. They recreated their SRV records.
| >
| >Karl
| >

| >> Hello Karl,
| >> Yes those are the default installation keys, the media comes with
| >> those
| >> keys. Those keys are used by KMS client machines. During setup of
| >> Volume
| >> License Windows VIsta media those are the keys that are used to
| >> complete
| >> setup so you are not prompted for a key.
| >> Those keys will look for a KMS server to activate with.
| >> Which sku did you install? You need to use the key of the installed OS
| >> Windows Vista Enterprise N is the sku without Media Player.
| >>
| >> Thanks,
| >> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
| >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
| >> rights
| >> --------------------

| >> keys,
| >> and
| >> "Windows

| >> no

| >> searced
| >> nothing.

| >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...=9893F83E-C8A5
| >> confers
| >> microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
| >> TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP01.phx.gbl!TK2MSF TNGP02.phx.gbl

| >> server

| >> the KMS

Karl Mitschke

RE: Remove or KILL KMS server?
Hello Darrell Gorter[MSFT],

This was done on the two machines that show SRV records of _VLMCS._TCP

Karl

> Hello Karl,
> This should have only been done on the machine that was acting as the
> KMS
> host machine.
> Not the rest of the clients.
> So when you said you have your users change to this product key, which
> users did you have change to that key?
> The machines running as KMS clients or the machines running as KMS
> host
> machines?
> Thanks,
> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
> rights
> --------------------
> | >Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 19:01:23 +0000 (UTC)
> | >From: Karl Mitschke <kmitschke@somestate.gov>
> | >Subject: RE: Remove or KILL KMS server?
> | >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
> | >
> | >Hello Darrell Gorter[MSFT],
> | >
> | >I had my users do this:
> | >
> | >1. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click
> All
> Programs,
> | >click Accessories, right-click command prompt, and then click Run
> as
> administrator.
> | >
> | >2. To install the KMS key, at the command prompt type the
> following, and
> | >then press Enter: cscript \windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ipk
> YFKBB-PQJJV-G996G-VWGXY-2V3X8
> | >3. Reboot the Vista PC
> | >
> | >This did not work. They recreated their SRV records.
> | >
> | >Karl

> of
> installed OS

> no

> Enterprise"
> Enterprise" and

> confers
> microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
> TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP01.phx.gbl!TK2MSF TNGP06.phx.gbl

> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...=9893F83E-C8A5
> and

> KMS

> kill
> box?

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

RE: Remove or KILL KMS server?
Hello Karl,
What is the output of the those machines for the description line.

When you doing the following.
C:\Windows\system32>slmgr -dlv
Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.7

Software licensing service version: 6.0.6001.18000
Name: Windows(TM) Vista, Enterprise edition

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]