Vista OEM and new mobo

Javier L贸pez-E

Vista OEM and new mobo
Hello, I ask your help to solve a dilemma
I have a P4 team assembled by me with windows vista view OEM running.
I want to retire this PC and change it to a new mobo and micro
completely different. I know I need another license of Windows
to activate the new equipment.
My question is can I use a new W.V. ultimate OEM licence and, incidentally,
upgrade from business that I have installed? or must be
necessarily another bussiness OEM or Retail?
What would happend i I simply take my old computer's hard drive, just
as is, put in new PC and then upgrade to ultimate? will it boot still
unactivated?
I would like to keep all programs installed as they are now, is this possible?
I would appreciate a clear answer, because after much navigate through
forums I'm no very clear on how to proceed. I do not want format my HD or
make a
"clean installation"
I know there are many doubts, but my head thrown smoke at this stage, so
any suggestions would be very grateful
greetings, Javier
P.D.: Forgive my bad english

Ron Martell

Re: Vista OEM and new mobo
Javier L髉ez-E <JavierLpezE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello, I ask your help to solve a dilemma
>I have a P4 team assembled by me with windows vista view OEM running.
>I want to retire this PC and change it to a new mobo and micro
>completely different. I know I need another license of Windows
>to activate the new equipment.
>My question is can I use a new W.V. ultimate OEM licence and, incidentally,
>upgrade from business that I have installed? or must be
> necessarily another bussiness OEM or Retail?
>What would happend i I simply take my old computer's hard drive, just
>as is, put in new PC and then upgrade to ultimate? will it boot still
>unactivated?
>I would like to keep all programs installed as they are now, is this possible?
>I would appreciate a clear answer, because after much navigate through
>forums I'm no very clear on how to proceed. I do not want format my HD or
>make a
>"clean installation"
>I know there are many doubts, but my head thrown smoke at this stage, so
>any suggestions would be very grateful
>greetings, Javier
>P.D.: Forgive my bad english

If you move your installed hard drive to the new computer then you
will need to reactivate because of the changed hardware.

You should be able to use Magic Jelly Bean
(http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml ) to change the
product key to the new one and then it should activate okay.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2008)
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."
Javier L贸pez-E

Re: Vista OEM and new mobo
thank you Ron, I'll try what you recomend

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> Javier L贸pez-E <JavierLpezE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hello, I ask your help to solve a dilemma
> >I have a P4 team assembled by me with windows vista view OEM running.
> >I want to retire this PC and change it to a new mobo and micro
> >completely different. I know I need another license of Windows
> >to activate the new equipment.
> >My question is can I use a new W.V. ultimate OEM licence and, incidentally,
> >upgrade from business that I have installed? or must be
> > necessarily another bussiness OEM or Retail?
> >What would happend i I simply take my old computer's hard drive, just
> >as is, put in new PC and then upgrade to ultimate? will it boot still
> >unactivated?
> >I would like to keep all programs installed as they are now, is this possible?
> >I would appreciate a clear answer, because after much navigate through
> >forums I'm no very clear on how to proceed. I do not want format my HD or
> >make a
> >"clean installation"
> >I know there are many doubts, but my head thrown smoke at this stage, so
> >any suggestions would be very grateful
> >greetings, Javier
> >P.D.: Forgive my bad english

> If you move your installed hard drive to the new computer then you
> will need to reactivate because of the changed hardware.
>
> You should be able to use Magic Jelly Bean
> (http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml ) to change the
> product key to the new one and then it should activate okay.
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2008)
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
>
> "Anyone who thinks that they are too small to make a difference
> has never been in bed with a mosquito."

Mick Murphy

Re: Vista OEM and new mobo
If you move your hard drive to a new computer, the chances are that it will
NOT boot, as the vista OS will assume that the new Hardware changes, are a
NEW computer.
An OEM licence is for 1 computer, and is non-transferable.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia