Recovery Disc

Zygy

Recovery Disc
After my PC was burned out by lightening through my Broadband connection I
received a new PC from my insurers with Win.Vista Business, but I did not
received (and will not) the Windows Installation CD.

Whilst setting up the new PC with various matters an invitation appeared for
me to make a Windows Recovery disc, but I was too busy with other matters to
do it there and then, so thinking that this invitation will appear again I
cancelled it.

It is now some weeks and the invitation has not reappeared. Which way can I
make the Recovery Disc in case of a crash?

Richard G. Harper

Re: Recovery Disc
How you make a recovery disc set is controlled by the PC manufacturer, not
by Vista. Check your computer's manual or online assistance resources to
find out how.

"Zygy" <zygy@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After my PC was burned out by lightening through my Broadband connection I
> received a new PC from my insurers with Win.Vista Business, but I did not
> received (and will not) the Windows Installation CD.
>
> Whilst setting up the new PC with various matters an invitation appeared
> for me to make a Windows Recovery disc, but I was too busy with other
> matters to do it there and then, so thinking that this invitation will
> appear again I cancelled it.
>
> It is now some weeks and the invitation has not reappeared. Which way can
> I make the Recovery Disc in case of a crash?

Nonny

Re: Recovery Disc
On Mon, 5 May 2008 09:13:57 +0100, "Zygy" <zygy@microsoft.com> wrote:

>After my PC was burned out by lightening through my Broadband connection I
>received a new PC from my insurers with Win.Vista Business, but I did not
>received (and will not) the Windows Installation CD.
>
>Whilst setting up the new PC with various matters an invitation appeared for
>me to make a Windows Recovery disc, but I was too busy with other matters to
>do it there and then, so thinking that this invitation will appear again I
>cancelled it.
>
>It is now some weeks and the invitation has not reappeared. Which way can I
>make the Recovery Disc in case of a crash?

Has it occurred to you to contact the manufacturer for help on this
matter?

Maybe, if you spent a little time looking around your system, you'd
find instructions... like in a manual or a help system setup by the
manufacturer.
Grey

Re: Recovery Disc
It is ILLEGAL to give out Windows without the disks and registration number.
If they wont give it to you, report them to Microsoft and supply all the
details so Microsoft can get onto them about it.

On Mon, 5 May 2008 21:36:53 +1000, "Grey" <grey@example.com> wrote:

>It is ILLEGAL to give out Windows without the disks and registration number.

No it's not.

All the manufacturer has to do is provide a method to restore the
computer. Many do that by putting the restore materials on a hidden
partition and then they provide instructions on how to make your own
from that partition.

In this case, the OP bypassed the original hint to make one and now
can't find out how to do it
Grey

Re: Recovery Disc

"Nonny" <nonnymoose@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news5cu145ac95vin4lmc7ol2sv717n4vcakp@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 5 May 2008 21:36:53 +1000, "Grey" <grey@example.com> wrote:
>
>>It is ILLEGAL to give out Windows without the disks and registration
>>number.

> No it's not.

Yes it is.

> All the manufacturer has to do is provide a method to restore the
> computer. Many do that by putting the restore materials on a hidden
> partition and then they provide instructions on how to make your own
> from that partition.

That is correct but essentially they have given you the lot which is not
what the OP said.

Nonny

Re: Recovery Disc
On Tue, 6 May 2008 14:24:44 +1000, "Grey" <grey@example.com> wrote:

>"Nonny" <nonnymoose@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>news5cu145ac95vin4lmc7ol2sv717n4vcakp@4ax.com.. .
>> On Mon, 5 May 2008 21:36:53 +1000, "Grey" <grey@example.com> wrote:
>>
>>>It is ILLEGAL to give out Windows without the disks and registration
>>>number.

>> No it's not.
>>

>Yes it is.

Again, no it is not. It is "illegal" (illegal as per the OEM's
agreement with Microsoft) to sell a Windows-based computer without
giving you a way to restore it. There is no stipulation that an XP
disc must be included. None, whatsoever.
Donald L McDaniel

Re: Recovery Disc
On Mon, 5 May 2008 09:13:57 +0100, "Zygy" <zygy@microsoft.com> wrote:

>After my PC was burned out by lightening through my Broadband connection I
>received a new PC from my insurers with Win.Vista Business, but I did not
>received (and will not) the Windows Installation CD.
>
>Whilst setting up the new PC with various matters an invitation appeared for
>me to make a Windows Recovery disc, but I was too busy with other matters to
>do it there and then, so thinking that this invitation will appear again I
>cancelled it.
>
>It is now some weeks and the invitation has not reappeared. Which way can I
>make the Recovery Disc in case of a crash?

"Zygy", more than probably, your OS Restore files are found on a
hidden partition on your hard drive. Did you receive a User Manual
with your new computer?

If so, it should give instructions on how to make such a Restore Disk.
IF not, contact the Support of the manufacturer which made your
computer and ask them for instructions on how to make Restore Disk.

You might also ask them about an actual Restore Disk for your computer
model. Many times, OEMs will sell such disks for around $10US-$20US.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the correct thread and article.
Donald L McDaniel

Re: Recovery Disc
On Mon, 5 May 2008 21:36:53 +1000, "Grey" <grey@example.com> wrote:

>It is ILLEGAL to give out Windows without the disks and registration number.
>If they wont give it to you, report them to Microsoft and supply all the
>details so Microsoft can get onto them about it.

Actually, "Grey", this is not correct in any way.

ALL Microsoft requires is that the user have a way of restoring his OS
in the event of a crash, and that the official Microsoft COA be
affixed to either the case of the computer, or on the jewel-case
containing the Installation Media.

Whether this is accomplished by giving the user a Restore Disk or by
placing the Installation files on a hidden Restore Partition is
entirely up to the OEM.

But you are substantially correct: Microsoft System Builder Licenses
require that the User have a means of restoring the OS in case of a
total system crash. This is the OEM's responsibility, not
Microsoft's.

Additionally, there are no such laws on any books anywhere in the
"Lower 48", the States of Alaska or Hawaii, or any U.S. Territory.
Since I do not live anywhere else, I know little-to-nothing about the
laws of other jurisdictions.

Reporting any kind of law-breaking to Microsoft is irrational, since
they are not a governmental or judicial body of any kind, and
therefore, cannot make "law" at all, nor do they have any authority to
enforce existing local, State, or U.S. laws. Such laws must be
executed by the local constabulary, the State Police, or the Federal
Judiciary System.

In fact, you cannot "report lawbreaking" at all to anyone, since the
accused MUST be considered INNOCENT of such "lawbreaking" until he is
tried by the Court and PROVEN to be guilty of such crimes. All you
can do is make an accusation to a Judicial official. Once that
accusation is made, you have nothing more to do about the matter,
except testify in a court of law. The JURY will decide on his fate,
not YOU.

WE THE PEOPLE, sir, are NOT the "lawmakers, judges, juries, police, or
executioners." That authority belongs to the GOVERNMENT, not the
People.

Of course, those officials come from within the PEOPLE, but judgment
in the US is NOT left to the INDIVIDUAL. That is NOT "justice", it is
"revenge". If such were the case, we would have anarchy ruling us,
not a "government of the People, by the People, and for the People."

If you feel that the OEM who produced your new computer has broken a
local, State, or Federal law, report them to the proper authorities,
not Microsoft.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the correct thread and article.
Mick Murphy

Re: Recovery Disc
Rubbish!

A Recovery partition on the Hard drive is all that the computer manufecturer
has to provide to their customers.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia