vista home prem to vista ultimate - can I still use home on another pc?

nelsonsdavis

vista home prem to vista ultimate - can I still use home on another pc?

Okay, I bought retail upgrade vista home premium. Installed on my
primary pc and ACTIVATED it. Had odd problems, fixed, then realized I
really wanted the ultimate edition. So, bought retail ultimate upgrade.
Wiped hard drive, installed XP pro, installed ultimate 64 from there.

Now, here is the real question. I now have a perfectly good legal copy
of home premium that is not being used. Can I use this copy on a
different PC? BTW, it's too late to get a refund from MS, I missed that
window of opportunity.

Thanks

--
nelsonsdavis
PvdG42

Re: vista home prem to vista ultimate - can I still use home on another pc?
"nelsonsdavis" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Okay, I bought retail upgrade vista home premium. Installed on my
> primary pc and ACTIVATED it. Had odd problems, fixed, then realized I
> really wanted the ultimate edition. So, bought retail ultimate upgrade.
> Wiped hard drive, installed XP pro, installed ultimate 64 from there.
>
> Now, here is the real question. I now have a perfectly good legal copy
> of home premium that is not being used. Can I use this copy on a
> different PC? BTW, it's too late to get a refund from MS, I missed that
> window of opportunity.
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> nelsonsdavis

In a word, no.
When you upgraded from HP to U, you paid a lesser price for an upgrade
rather than for a standalone license. It's similar to trading your old car
as part of the price of a new one. You don't retain use rights to the
trade-in, correct?

Alejandrosv

RE: vista home prem to vista ultimate - can I still use home on another pc?
Did the upgrade cost the same from home basic to ultimate than from home premium to ultimate? If it costed less... i think PvdG42 is right, it's probably not allowed. But if you paid an upgrade from home basic to ultimate, i don't see why you shouldn't use your home premium to upgrade another home basic.

Curious

Re: vista home prem to vista ultimate - can I still use home on another pc?
You can only use a Vista upgrade package on one system and you can not then
use the original XP on another system since when you upgraded to Vista your
XP license was deactivated since it was "traded in" in order to use the less
expensive upgrade version of Vista.

"Alejandrosv" wrote in message news:eJ898uvrIHA.5580@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Did the upgrade cost the same from home basic to ultimate than from home
> premium to ultimate? If it costed less... i think PvdG42 is right, it's
> probably not allowed. But if you paid an upgrade from home basic to
> ultimate, i don't see why you shouldn't use your home premium to upgrade
> another home basic.
>

> Post Originated from http://www.VistaForums.com Vista Support Forums

nelsonsdavis

Re: vista home prem to vista ultimate - can I still use home on another pc?

Hmmm. Does not sound right. Lets try again. I had win xp pro on my pc.
Bought retail upgrade vista home premium, installed that. And yes, I
understand the licsence for xp pro is gone, unless I put it back on this
same machine.

So, a week goes by, I decide vista home premium is not what I want. I
buy vista ultimate 64 bit.

Reformat hard drive, reinstall that same XP, then install vista
ultimate through that.

Now, in the meantime, I had spoken to MS. They said I could return home
premium to THEM, and they would send me a refund. Fast forward, lost
track of time, realized window for returning home premium had come and
gone. In other words, they were willing to take that back,

So, since I am not using home premium on any PC now, and the vista
ultimate was installed through my win xp pro, why could I not now use
the orphaned home vista prem on another PC?

THanks

--
nelsonsdavis
Nonny

Re: vista home prem to vista ultimate - can I still use home on another pc?
On Mon, 5 May 2008 21:37:12 -0500, nelsonsdavis
<guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>So, since I am not using home premium on any PC now, and the vista
>ultimate was installed through my win xp pro, why could I not now use
>the orphaned home vista prem on another PC?

Yes.
nelsonsdavis

Re: vista home prem to vista ultimate - can I still use home on another pc?

Er, you answered "yes". Do you mean I "can" use it on another PC?

Thanks

--
nelsonsdavis
Nonny

Re: vista home prem to vista ultimate - can I still use home on another pc?
On Mon, 5 May 2008 23:01:14 -0500, nelsonsdavis
<guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>Er, you answered "yes". Do you mean I "can" use it on another PC?
>

>Thanks

Had to go back to my out box to see what you were questioning (it's
nice if you quote what you are replying to, don'tcha think?).

I misread your previous post... the answer should have been "You can
use it on another pc."

Donald L McDaniel

On Mon, 05 May 2008 15:02:39 -0700, Alejandrosv wrote:

>Did the upgrade cost the same from home basic to ultimate than from home premium to ultimate? If it costed less... i think PvdG42 is right, it's probably not allowed. But if you paid an upgrade from home basic to ultimate, i don't see why you shouldn't use your home premium to upgrade another home basic.
>

>Post Originated from http://www.VistaForums.com Vista Support Forums

Whether or not you "don't see why you shouldn't use your Home Premium
to upgrade another "Home Basic" is irrelevant.

What the Vista EULA states about this is what is relevant.

Here is what is relevant:
Once the OP used his copy of Home Premium as the BASE for an UPGRADE
to Ultimate, he lost all rights to use it further for ANY reason.

Because of this, he MUST NOT use it to upgrade a SECOND (or third, or
whatever) Windows OS.
Because of this, he MUST NO LONGER USE IT FOR "ANY" REASON once it has
been used as the base for an Upgrade Edition.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the correct thread and article.
Donald L McDaniel

Re: vista home prem to vista ultimate - can I still use home on another pc?
On Mon, 5 May 2008 21:37:12 -0500, nelsonsdavis
<guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>Hmmm. Does not sound right. Lets try again. I had win xp pro on my pc.
>Bought retail upgrade vista home premium, installed that. And yes, I
>understand the licsence for xp pro is gone, unless I put it back on this
>same machine.
>
>So, a week goes by, I decide vista home premium is not what I want. I
>buy vista ultimate 64 bit.

>Reformat hard drive, reinstall that same XP, then install vista
>ultimate through that.

Perfectly valid.

>Now, in the meantime, I had spoken to MS. They said I could return home
>premium to THEM, and they would send me a refund. Fast forward, lost
>track of time, realized window for returning home premium had come and
>gone. In other words, they were willing to take that back,
>
>So, since I am not using home premium on any PC now, and the vista
>ultimate was installed through my win xp pro, why could I not now use
>the orphaned home vista prem on another PC?

As long as you have a second copy of XP, with a DIFFERENT CD key than
the one you used as a base for an upgrade to Ultimate, you will be
fine. (i.e., "you CAN'T use a SINGLE LICENSE as the base for TWO
UPGRADES.")