Security - Hard Disk

Riddler

Security - Hard Disk
Purchased a Toshiba laptop with Vista Install....tried to install XP Pro but
setup states 'can't see hard drive'. Any suggestions please.
--
Thanks for your input as always..Ciao
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Security - Hard Disk
Contact Toshiba support and ask if your new notebook's
hardware is compatible with the old Windows XP operating
system.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Riddler" <Riddler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news9E240DB-1812-4BBE-ABD0-1C20AFA528CF@microsoft.com...
Purchased a Toshiba laptop with Vista Install....tried to install XP Pro but
setup states 'can't see hard drive'. Any suggestions please.
--
Thanks for your input as always..Ciao
Riddler

RE: Security - Hard Disk
Thanks for that Carey. I have downloaded all the XP drivers for this model
from Toshiba website so I assume it is compatible. When I boot machine from
CD it loads all setup files, then asks if I want new installation, and when I
say okay, it tells me there is no hard disk. When I view the disk in
administrative tools it shows a primary partition 'C' drive as well as an
Eisa section which has no properties. I wonder if this is a secure area setup
by Toshiba to stop the average joe bloggs from deleting the partition and
maintaining a system recovery at all times..???
--

"Riddler" wrote:

> Purchased a Toshiba laptop with Vista Install....tried to install XP Pro but
> setup states 'can't see hard drive'. Any suggestions please.
> --
> Thanks for your input as always..Ciao

DL

Re: Security - Hard Disk
Its probably a sata drive that requires the use of F6 early in the winxp
installation to install sata/raid drivers from floppy
The drivers should be available from Toshiba site.
If your Tosh has no floppy you either need a usb external, or would need to
intergrate the raid drivers into a slipstreamed installation disk

"Riddler" <Riddler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsC3B1561-B39C-4963-A457-4D471294D87E@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for that Carey. I have downloaded all the XP drivers for this model
> from Toshiba website so I assume it is compatible. When I boot machine
> from
> CD it loads all setup files, then asks if I want new installation, and
> when I
> say okay, it tells me there is no hard disk. When I view the disk in
> administrative tools it shows a primary partition 'C' drive as well as an
> Eisa section which has no properties. I wonder if this is a secure area
> setup
> by Toshiba to stop the average joe bloggs from deleting the partition and
> maintaining a system recovery at all times..???
> --
> Thanks for your input as always..Ciao
>

> "Riddler" wrote:
>
>> Purchased a Toshiba laptop with Vista Install....tried to install XP Pro
>> but
>> setup states 'can't see hard drive'. Any suggestions please.
>> --
>> Thanks for your input as always..Ciao

Joe Morris

Re: Security - Hard Disk
"Riddler" <Riddler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Purchased a Toshiba laptop with Vista Install....tried to install XP Pro
> but
> setup states 'can't see hard drive'. Any suggestions please.

The problem is probably SATA drive mode; I've run into this problem on
numerous SATA-capable systems over the past 18 months or so, although it's
been a long time since I last touched a Toshiba box.

Go into the BIOS setup dialogs and look for an entry that offers SATA mode
options, perhaps "compatible" or "legacy" on one side and "advanced" or
"native" on the other. Change the setting to "compatible," "legacy," or
whatever looks similar, reboot the computer, and try the installer again.

Toshiba may (or may not) offer add-in drivers that you can install from a
floppy disk during Windows XP installation (via F6 during the character-mode
bootstrap) that would allow you to use the newer/advanced/native/whatever
mode, but setting the BIOS to provide the legacy interface should work.

Joe Morris

Bruce Chambers

Re: Security - Hard Disk
Riddler wrote:
> Purchased a Toshiba laptop with Vista Install....tried to install XP Pro but
> setup states 'can't see hard drive'. Any suggestions please.

Remember SATA didn't really exist (or at least wasn't commercially
available) when WinXP was initially developed. Very early in the boot
process, just after having booted from the WinXP CD, the screen will
display the words to the effect: "Setup is examining your system."
Press <F6> when this happens, and have the *manufacturer's*
WinXP-specific drivers for your SATA controller available on a floppy disk.

A couple more things to bear in mind:

1) If the computer was specifically designed for Vista, there may not
be any WinXP-specific device drivers available for any of the computer's
components. Check with the manufacturer before starting.

2) Replacing the factory-installed operating system may void your
warranty and will almost certainly void any support obligation the
manufacturer has. Check with the manufacturer for specifics, before
starting.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: