Installation of Multiple Boots - Can I just clone disk image and set up boot manually?

mixermanic

Installation of Multiple Boots - Can I just clone disk image and set up boot manually?
Hi guys,

I have a need to install 4 systems of Vista on a single machine (4
partitions of my main system hard disk).

Given that Vista always seems to see its own system drive as C, would it be
possible to create my "master image" with SP1, all my drivers, utilities,
system tweaks, and other "generic" applications (like Office/Acrobat etc),
and then just clone this drive across to all the partitions I need to set up
(on D, E, and F).

Then, using VistaBootPRO, I could edit the BCD to include all the other
partitions.

Can anyone think of a reason this would not work?

Many thanks!

Martin

philo

Re: Installation of Multiple Boots - Can I just clone disk image and set up boot manually?

"mixermanic" <martin@designersounds.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi guys,
>
> I have a need to install 4 systems of Vista on a single machine (4
> partitions of my main system hard disk).
>
> Given that Vista always seems to see its own system drive as C, would it

be
> possible to create my "master image" with SP1, all my drivers, utilities,
> system tweaks, and other "generic" applications (like Office/Acrobat etc),
> and then just clone this drive across to all the partitions I need to set

up
> (on D, E, and F).
>
> Then, using VistaBootPRO, I could edit the BCD to include all the other
> partitions.
>
> Can anyone think of a reason this would not work?
>
> Many thanks!
>
> Martin

First off, you'd need to license the different installations.

Secondly, it would not work... as a OS cloned as the C: drive would not work
when placed on a drive of another letter.

In theory, if you set up the drive with 4 primary partitions
then used a boot manager that could hide any of the other three
so that any partition booted to would retain the C: letter...
it may very well work

mixermanic

Re: Installation of Multiple Boots - Can I just clone disk image and set up boot manually?
Hi Philo,

Thanks for the reply.

> First off, you'd need to license the different installations.

Am I not correct in thinking that Vista can be installed multiple times on
the SAME machine without relicensing? This is then different to XP, which
allowed this?

> Secondly, it would not work... as a OS cloned as the C: drive would not
> work
> when placed on a drive of another letter.

Vista ALWAYS sees its own partition as C though. Even though it may be
installed on a different partition, when it boots it will revert to C...

Cheers!

Martin

> Hi Philo,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>

> > First off, you'd need to license the different installations.
> >

> Am I not correct in thinking that Vista can be installed multiple times on
> the SAME machine without relicensing? This is then different to XP, which
> allowed this?
>
> > Secondly, it would not work... as a OS cloned as the C: drive would not
> > work
> > when placed on a drive of another letter.

> Vista ALWAYS sees its own partition as C though. Even though it may be
> installed on a different partition, when it boots it will revert to C...
>
> Cheers!
>
> Martin

No...
all versions of Windows allowed one installation per license.

As to the C: drive...I keep forgetting that Vista is not like XP
in so many ways

I know of course backup copies are permissible...
so I suspect your idea is not technically legal...but who knows...it may
work

mixermanic

Re: Installation of Multiple Boots - Can I just clone disk image and set up boot manually?
Great.... so anyone dual booting needs 2 copies.

Poo....

Ah well, t'was a thought.

Cheers,

> Great.... so anyone dual booting needs 2 copies.
>
> Poo....
>
> Ah well, t'was a thought.

here it is officially

http://download.microsoft.com/docume...9cf5105718.pdf

> Cheers,

> "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "mixermanic" <martin@designersounds.co.uk> wrote in message
> >> Hi Philo,
> >>
> >> Thanks for the reply.

> >> Am I not correct in thinking that Vista can be installed multiple times
> >> on
> >> the SAME machine without relicensing? This is then different to XP,

which
> >> allowed this?

not

> >> Vista ALWAYS sees its own partition as C though. Even though it may be
> >> installed on a different partition, when it boots it will revert to

C...

> >> Cheers!
> >>
> >> Martin
> >>

> > No...
> > all versions of Windows allowed one installation per license.
> >
> > As to the C: drive...I keep forgetting that Vista is not like XP
> > in so many ways
> >
> > I know of course backup copies are permissible...
> > so I suspect your idea is not technically legal...but who knows...it may
> > work

mixermanic

Re: Installation of Multiple Boots - Can I just clone disk image and set up boot manually?
Yep. There we go:

a. Licensed Device. ****You may install one copy of the software on the
licensed device****. You may use the software on up to two processors on
that device at one time. Except as provided in the Storage and Network Use
(Ultimate edition) sections below, you may not use the software on any other
device.

Utterly ridiculous.

What about quad procesors?!

Thanks for the link in any case!

> Yep. There we go:
>
> a. Licensed Device. ****You may install one copy of the software on the
> licensed device****. You may use the software on up to two processors on
> that device at one time. Except as provided in the Storage and Network Use
> (Ultimate edition) sections below, you may not use the software on any

other
> device.
>
> Utterly ridiculous.
>
> What about quad procesors?!
>
> Thanks for the link in any case!
>
> Martin

Quad processors? good question.
It would be hell if you had to buy another license.
What's going to happen when 16 core machines become available?

Bender

Re: Installation of Multiple Boots - Can I just clone disk image and set up boot manually?
Two processors means two separate chips containing the processors. You can
have as many cores as you like on each processor. 4 cores, 8 cores or even
16 cores. The license allows any number of cores, but only two "processors".
The 16 core example would give you 32 cores total and you would still be
within your license of 2 processors.
Note that if you have more than 64 cores, you will have to use a newer
version of Windows than Vista to use more than 64 cores.

"mixermanic" <martin@designersounds.co.uk> wrote in message
> Yep. There we go:
>
> a. Licensed Device. ****You may install one copy of the software on the
> licensed device****. You may use the software on up to two processors on
> that device at one time. Except as provided in the Storage and Network Use
> (Ultimate edition) sections below, you may not use the software on any
> other device.
>
> Utterly ridiculous.
>
> What about quad procesors?!
>
> Thanks for the link in any case!
>
> Martin
>

> "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "mixermanic" <martin@designersounds.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Great.... so anyone dual booting needs 2 copies.
>>>
>>> Poo....
>>>
>>> Ah well, t'was a thought.

>> here it is officially
>>
>> http://download.microsoft.com/docume...9cf5105718.pdf
>>

>>> Cheers,

>>> "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message

>> which

>> not

>> C...

mixermanic

Re: Installation of Multiple Boots - Can I just clone disk image and set up boot manually?
Ah! Ok thank you....