Upgrade vs. Clean Install

=?Utf-8?B?TUZyYW5r?=

Upgrade vs. Clean Install
I am looking into upgrading my MCE 2005 to Vista Utlimate and I have a
question on which version to get. I have seen different reports about the
upgrade and the full version for Vista.

With the upgrade does XP already have to be installed on the computer, or I
am able to insert the DVD and boot from that? I have seen various
condesending articles and other information on the internet that you are able
to boot from the upgrade disc.

I end up reinstalling the OS usually once a year, and I am trying to decide
if I should spend the extra $150 to get the full version or not.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you in advance!!
Chad Harris

Re: Upgrade vs. Clean Install--TheWorkaround
Hi MFrank--

1) My personal bias is always if someone can afford the full version, it's
more stable over the long run than an upgrade. Theoretically, when you
upgrade, you *could pass on some of the problems that may exist "under the
hood" of the legacy OS.

2) MSFT has set up Vista so that *officially you do have to have the legacy
OS (XP in your case) installed/and activated on the partition you plan to
upgrade on.

From Ed Bott's blog:

"This silly technical restriction is not required by the license agreement.
It's designed to frustrate anyone who wants to use the upgrade version on a
new PC without an operating system and get them to pay more for a full
version. But it's easily worked around." I agree.

3) However, unofficially, and MSFT is well aware of this, there is a
loophole. You can install the upgrade another way (without installing and
activating the legacy OS) and it has been discussed many many times on this
group and the Vista general group as well:

If you don't want to install and activate legacy media for the upgrade:
explains it best and includes good screenshots:

As Ed Bott writes in the link below:

"Your easiest option – by far - is to use the PC maker's system recovery
media to restore an image of Windows XP as it existed when you first got the
computer, and then install Vista. I can hear the complaints now: "That copy
is out of date. It's loaded with crummy, obsolete drivers and crapware."
Yes, I know. That doesn't matter. Every bit of that junk will be erased soon
enough. It will never get mixed with your new Vista setup."

We've had several links to the "Vista Upgrade loophole", but I think Ed Bott
co-author of Windows Vista Inside Out

Vista Hands On #4: Clean install with an upgrade key
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=196

Additional Articles on using the "workaround":

Workaround Discovered For "Clean Install" With Vista Upgrade DVDs
Microsoft Confirms Vista Upgrade Limitations (Updated with Workaround)
http://www.dailytech.com/Workaround+...rticle5932.htm

Paul Thurrott / January 29, 2007
http://www.windowsitpro.com/mobile/p...D=95011&News=1

MSFT Ignores Vista Upgrade Loophole
http://www.mstalkonline.com/microsof...rade-loophole/

Good luck,

CH

"MFrank" <MFrank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am looking into upgrading my MCE 2005 to Vista Utlimate and I have a
> question on which version to get. I have seen different reports about the
> upgrade and the full version for Vista.
>
> With the upgrade does XP already have to be installed on the computer, or
> am able to insert the DVD and boot from that? I have seen various
> condesending articles and other information on the internet that you are
> able
> to boot from the upgrade disc.
>
> I end up reinstalling the OS usually once a year, and I am trying to
> decide
> if I should spend the extra $150 to get the full version or not.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Thank you in advance!!

=?Utf-8?B?TUZyYW5r?=

Re: Upgrade vs. Clean Install--TheWorkaround
Thank you for the help. This clarifies a lot. Thanks!!!