Service Pack Install

Mossie

Service Pack Install
Hi.

I have numerous problems installing service pack 1 on my Dell Laptop running
Vista Home Premium. I succeded in installing it first time, but when I next
ran windows update and rebooted, after the logon screen I just got a black
screen with the mouse pointer and nothing else. I restored from an image,
did all the updates, then installed the SP1 - same problem. Now I restored
image, and applied SP1 (without running windows update first) and have the
same problem. No problems on my home built desktop, just the laptop.
Really pissed with Vista just now. Any ideas how to solve this problem.

Dell Inspiron 1520 Laptop, Core 2 Duo T5450, 4GB RAM, Eset Security Suite.

Mossie
Mark

Re: Service Pack Install
There's something about your machine that SP1 doesn't like. Did you install
the standalone or the package that "Windows Update" offered you?

Mark

"Mossie" <mo55ie@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1354$481c8f0d$57e850e6$23464@news.usenext.de. ..
> Hi.
>
> I have numerous problems installing service pack 1 on my Dell Laptop
> running
> Vista Home Premium. I succeded in installing it first time, but when I
> next
> ran windows update and rebooted, after the logon screen I just got a black
> screen with the mouse pointer and nothing else. I restored from an image,
> did all the updates, then installed the SP1 - same problem. Now I
> restored
> image, and applied SP1 (without running windows update first) and have the
> same problem. No problems on my home built desktop, just the laptop.
> Really pissed with Vista just now. Any ideas how to solve this problem.
>
> Dell Inspiron 1520 Laptop, Core 2 Duo T5450, 4GB RAM, Eset Security Suite.
>
> Mossie

SSI

Re: Service Pack Install
Had a similar problem with a Dell and actually ended up calling Microsoft.
The solution was to start the computer "clean" so run msconfig and clear
everything from the services that it is not Microsoft related, clear all
entries in the startup tab, restart and install the SP1 via stand download
then re-enable the services and startup items.. That worked for me
flawlessly. Apparently some junk Dell ships along with their computers
prevented SP1 from installing correctly.
Hope this helps you.

"Mossie" <mo55ie@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1354$481c8f0d$57e850e6$23464@news.usenext.de. ..
> Hi.
>
> I have numerous problems installing service pack 1 on my Dell Laptop
> running
> Vista Home Premium. I succeded in installing it first time, but when I
> next
> ran windows update and rebooted, after the logon screen I just got a black
> screen with the mouse pointer and nothing else. I restored from an image,
> did all the updates, then installed the SP1 - same problem. Now I
> restored
> image, and applied SP1 (without running windows update first) and have the
> same problem. No problems on my home built desktop, just the laptop.
> Really pissed with Vista just now. Any ideas how to solve this problem.
>
> Dell Inspiron 1520 Laptop, Core 2 Duo T5450, 4GB RAM, Eset Security Suite.
>
> Mossie

Mossie

Re: Service Pack Install
I have actually tried both the standalone and the windows update package,
both with the same result.
Mossie

Re: Service Pack Install
Thanks, I will try this.