Windows failed to start

Krrong

Windows failed to start

I am building a brand new system and bit the bullet and am attempting to
install Vista Ultimate 64 with SP1 (Brand Spanking New DVD with SP1 on
it).

Everything boots up just fine, memory is okay (4 Gb), install runs fine
and after the reboot, I get the following:

File: \Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Info: Windows failed to load because the kernel is missing, or corrupt.

(I purchased all parts and software from Newegg)

When I go to the MS Support site and put in the Product Key, it tells
me that it's in an invalid format. 5 - 5 - 5 - etc is what I have,
however, Microsoft is wanting 5 - 3 - 5 -etc. format.

I have pulled out EVERYTHING and disconnected EVERYTHING except the
DVD, HD, and vid card, so I'm running it as barebones as I can. (Thank
God I kept my XP system... )

Please help before I go play Frisbee Golf with this DVD.

--
Krrong
philo

Re: Windows failed to start

"Krrong" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I am building a brand new system and bit the bullet and am attempting to
> install Vista Ultimate 64 with SP1 (Brand Spanking New DVD with SP1 on
> it).
>
> Everything boots up just fine, memory is okay (4 Gb), install runs fine
> and after the reboot, I get the following:
>
> File: \Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

> Info: Windows failed to load because the kernel is missing, or corrupt.
>
> (I purchased all parts and software from Newegg)
>
> When I go to the MS Support site and put in the Product Key, it tells
> me that it's in an invalid format. 5 - 5 - 5 - etc is what I have,
> however, Microsoft is wanting 5 - 3 - 5 -etc. format.
>
> I have pulled out EVERYTHING and disconnected EVERYTHING except the
> DVD, HD, and vid card, so I'm running it as barebones as I can. (Thank
> God I kept my XP system... )
>
> Please help before I go play Frisbee Golf with this DVD.

I am guessing you have an SATA drive.
In theory, Vista has SATA drivers built in...but maybe not for all
hardware...
so I'd check the CD that came with your mobo and if it has Vista SATA
drivers
load them at the beginning of the installtion when the installer asks you if
you have add'l drivers to load

Krrong

Re: Windows failed to start

Yep. 320GB SATA drive. Will try what you suggested and report back.
Thank you!

--
Krrong
Krrong

Re: Windows failed to start

Okay, found the drivers and loaded them. For future reference, the
drivers from the Motherboard CD are required if you are installing with
a EVGA NVIDA NForce 780i SLI board. They are obviously under the
Vista64 IDE area of the CD.

It's still giving me the same error.

--
Krrong
Krrong

Re: Windows failed to start

Krrong;702377 Wrote:
> Okay, found the drivers and loaded them. For future reference, the
> drivers from the Motherboard CD are required if you are installing with
> a EVGA NVIDA NForce 780i SLI board. They are obviously under the Vista64
> IDE area of the CD.
>

> It's still giving me the same error.

Instructions for board say to install drivers after OS is installed.
This is really starting to tick me off. Everything I have is V64
compatible. I've checked Mobo settings until my eyes are crossed.
There's got to be something that I've missed.

--
Krrong
Ian D

Re: Windows failed to start

"Krrong" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I am building a brand new system and bit the bullet and am attempting to
> install Vista Ultimate 64 with SP1 (Brand Spanking New DVD with SP1 on
> it).
>
> Everything boots up just fine, memory is okay (4 Gb), install runs fine
> and after the reboot, I get the following:
>
> File: \Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

> Info: Windows failed to load because the kernel is missing, or corrupt.
>
> (I purchased all parts and software from Newegg)
>
> When I go to the MS Support site and put in the Product Key, it tells
> me that it's in an invalid format. 5 - 5 - 5 - etc is what I have,
> however, Microsoft is wanting 5 - 3 - 5 -etc. format.
>
> I have pulled out EVERYTHING and disconnected EVERYTHING except the
> DVD, HD, and vid card, so I'm running it as barebones as I can. (Thank
> God I kept my XP system... )
>
> Please help before I go play Frisbee Golf with this DVD.
>

> --
> Krrong

MS Support is asking for the Product ID, not the Product Key.
The Product ID is available in the system properties screen, and
therefore is only available after a successful install.

During installation Vista copies the installation files to the HD
and runs them from there, so it looks like your SATA drive is
functioning. By default the BIOS usually has SATA configured
as IDE. The drivers loaded after installation just ensure the HD
is performing at max DMA.

Have you tried installing Vista with only 2 GB of RAM on board.
There have been reported problems with installing Vista 64 on
some systems with more than 2 GB installed. The full 4 GB
then functions after the installation, or after SP1 is loaded.

Krrong

Re: Windows failed to start

Will attempt that tomorrow. Thanks! Vista is about as finicky as a ...
(insert thought that may get me into trouble with the wife) Will post
any results (positive or negative).

> Will attempt that tomorrow. Thanks! Vista is about as finicky as a ...
> (insert thought that may get me into trouble with the wife) Will post
> any results (positive or negative).

I hope to heck you get it working...

Krrong

Re: Windows failed to start

Dropping the memory down to 2 Gb didn't work. Going for 1 Gb in Dimm 0
next.

I ordered Vista 32 Ultimate and Crucial Memory instead of the GeIL that
I have now from Newegg last night just in case.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

--
Krrong
Krrong

Re: Windows failed to start

Still not working with 1Gb of mem (single stick). Putting in an old vid
card. It may not like this new 9600 Nvidia.

--
Krrong