Will Vista reinstall wipe out application programs?

Jim E

Will Vista reinstall wipe out application programs?
I have a 6 month old system with Vista. I did not receive a copy of Vista on
a disk. A copy of all the original SW is located in a hidden partition. I
want to reinstall Vista from the partition and I know how to do that. My
question is will the reinstall of Vista wipe out the applications and files
that I have added?
--
Jim E
David P

Re: Will Vista reinstall wipe out application programs?
I think that it will. Doing a restore from the hidden partition reverts
your computer back to its original factory condition.

"Jim E" <JimE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news267BD23-0C7D-4C3E-B2BF-DD12386FEB7B@microsoft.com...
> I have a 6 month old system with Vista. I did not receive a copy of Vista
> on
> a disk. A copy of all the original SW is located in a hidden partition.
> want to reinstall Vista from the partition and I know how to do that. My
> question is will the reinstall of Vista wipe out the applications and
> files
> that I have added?
> --
> Jim E

JW

Re: Will Vista reinstall wipe out application programs?
I agree with David. You can copy out your data files to a DVD or to another
partition prior to doing the recovery but you will have to reinstall your
programs.
What problems are causing you to want to reinstall. Maybe with some help
from peers in this forum they can be resolved so that you do not need to
reinstall.

"David P" <dgprozzo@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>I think that it will. Doing a restore from the hidden partition reverts
>your computer back to its original factory condition.
>
> "Jim E" <JimE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news267BD23-0C7D-4C3E-B2BF-DD12386FEB7B@microsoft.com...
>> I have a 6 month old system with Vista. I did not receive a copy of
>> Vista on
>> a disk. A copy of all the original SW is located in a hidden partition.
>> want to reinstall Vista from the partition and I know how to do that. My
>> question is will the reinstall of Vista wipe out the applications and
>> files
>> that I have added?
>> --
>> Jim E

John Barnett MVP

Re: Will Vista reinstall wipe out application programs?
Yes it will, Jim. When you have re-installed Vista from the hidden partition
it will restore your system back to how it was when you first purchased it.
Any applications you installed after you purchased it will have to be
re-installed. The same goes for your files. Prior to re-installing I suggest
that you backup all your important files to a DVD.You can then copy them
back to the hard drive once you have re-installed Vista. I assume that you
have the disks for the software you installed after you purchased the
computer? If so you will just have to re-install the applications that you
need on your computer.

Once you have re-installed may I suggest that you take a look at Acronis
True Image (www.acronis.com) This is imaging software that will enable you
to create an image of your hard drive after you have installed everything.
Create an image of your hard drive and keep it up to date with incremental
backups (although I prefer to do complete backups rather than incremental)
and, should a problem occur again, you can simply image the drive back and
you won't need to re-install any additional software (providing, of course,
the image backup is currently up to date on the day any problem occurs.) A
good idea is to image the drive to a set of DVDs and keep them safe.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Jim E" <JimE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news267BD23-0C7D-4C3E-B2BF-DD12386FEB7B@microsoft.com...
>I have a 6 month old system with Vista. I did not receive a copy of Vista
>on
> a disk. A copy of all the original SW is located in a hidden partition.
> want to reinstall Vista from the partition and I know how to do that. My
> question is will the reinstall of Vista wipe out the applications and
> files
> that I have added?
> --
> Jim E

Alejandra Gaitan

Will repaire ma pc (from windows vista boot cd) wipeout ma hard drive
I HAVE SOME MOTHERBOARTH PROBLEMS AND THE PC IS ASKING ME TO REINSTALL VISTA . I WONT DO IT FROM ANY HIDDEN FOLDER OR SUCH WILL THAT STILL WIPE OUT MA HARD DRIVE? (VISTA CAME installed with the pc when i bought it tho they gave me a cd in the store)
OR OPTION TWO IS TO REPAIR YOUR COMPUTER (THERE IS A OPTION THAT SAYS THAT IN THE WINDOWS VISTA INSTALATION CD) THEN IT ASKS ME TO LOAD DRIVERS. WERE R THOSE DRIVERS? WILL THAT WIPE OUT MA HARD DRIVE?
P.S THE PC WONT EVEN BOOT SO I CANT SAVE MA FILES LOL HELP its nt recognizing a memory module. it says u can repair ur computer by clicking repair ur pc from the cd