Help!!!! rar and zip files

jrc1980

Help!!!! rar and zip files
I ordered some files and they came in rar and zip format. I know nothing
about them. I downloaded winrar to read them. I guess I'm not using it
right or something. All I get is codes and stuff. I need to open these
files so that I can read them in plain english. I want to use these files on
my web-site. Any ideas?
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Help!!!! rar and zip files
How To: Open a Rar file
http://www.tech-pro.net/howto_030b.html

Internet File Support
http://www.winzip.com/wzdifs.htm

Download WinZip Evaluation Version
http://www.winzip.com/downwz.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"jrc1980" wrote:

I ordered some files and they came in rar and zip format. I know nothing
about them. I downloaded winrar to read them. I guess I'm not using it
right or something. All I get is codes and stuff. I need to open these
files so that I can read them in plain english. I want to use these files on
my web-site. Any ideas?
Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Help!!!! rar and zip files
"jrc1980" <jrc1980@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I ordered some files and they came in rar and zip format. I know nothing
> about them. I downloaded winrar to read them. I guess I'm not using it
> right or something. All I get is codes and stuff. I need to open these
> files so that I can read them in plain english. I want to use these files
> on
> my web-site. Any ideas?

Once unzipped, you have to use the correct application to open them. What is
the file extension of what you have been sent?

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Brink

Re: Help!!!! rar and zip files

jrc1980;698845 Wrote:
> I ordered some files and they came in rar and zip format. I know nothing
> about them. I downloaded winrar to read them. I guess I'm not using it
> right or something. All I get is codes and stuff. I need to open these
> files so that I can read them in plain english. I want to use these
> files on
> my web-site. Any ideas?

Hi JRC,

You might try the free 7-Zip program. It supports quite a few file
types.

'7-Zip' (http://www.7-zip.org/)

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Dustin Harper

Re: Help!!!! rar and zip files
http://www.rarlabs.com. Download WinRAR and you can open RAR and ZIP files
with no issues. They are just compressed files (the ones you want are inside
of them).

--

Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

"jrc1980" <jrc1980@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I ordered some files and they came in rar and zip format. I know nothing
> about them. I downloaded winrar to read them. I guess I'm not using it
> right or something. All I get is codes and stuff. I need to open these
> files so that I can read them in plain english. I want to use these files
> on
> my web-site. Any ideas?

Bob W

Re: Help!!!! rar and zip files
Download WinRAR. It should automatically open and unpack RAR and ZIP libraries. SRX (self extracting zips with .exe endings) unpack themselves with just a double click. When WinRAR unpacks it creates a subfolder to put the files in. Just use the ADD or OPEN to select the library you want to unpack, then EXTRACT TO, which will give you a screen of option as to where and how to unpack, etc. Pretty easy.
Bob, Still Old, Still Grey, And Still A Woolf

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly inconvenienced. And a party was thrown for them afterwards for being really cool about it.

Bob's Space - Home Page of the Olde Greywoolf

"Brink" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message news:8284b5928b96d8e4fdbfb41e3102a1c6@nntp-gateway.com...

jrc1980;698845 Wrote:
> I ordered some files and they came in rar and zip format. I know nothing
> about them. I downloaded winrar to read them. I guess I'm not using it
> right or something. All I get is codes and stuff. I need to open these
> files so that I can read them in plain english. I want to use these
> files on
> my web-site. Any ideas?

Hi JRC,

You might try the free 7-Zip program. It supports quite a few file
types.

'7-Zip' (http://www.7-zip.org/)

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
eric roger dos santos

RE: Help!!!! rar and zip files

"jrc1980" wrote:

> I ordered some files and they came in rar and zip format. I know nothing
> about them. I downloaded winrar to read them. I guess I'm not using it
> right or something. All I get is codes and stuff. I need to open these
> files so that I can read them in plain english. I want to use these files on
> my web-site. Any ideas?

madeliaette

RE: Help!!!! rar and zip files

Would winrar be of use to me? I have vista and have downloaded some
compressed files - but when right clicking cannot find the option to unzip
them, only open or open with. i used to have winzip evaluation to help, as I
could not get around this problem - but it has run out and i cannot afford to
buy the full version. would winrar solve this for me if i download this?

(I have not heard of winrar before this thread - but it seems that maybe it
will help)
"eric roger dos santos" wrote:

> "jrc1980" wrote:
>
> > I ordered some files and they came in rar and zip format. I know nothing
> > about them. I downloaded winrar to read them. I guess I'm not using it
> > right or something. All I get is codes and stuff. I need to open these
> > files so that I can read them in plain english. I want to use these files on
> > my web-site. Any ideas?

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Help!!!! rar and zip files
You can try a trial version of WinRar from www.rarlabs.com.
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

"madeliaette" <madeliaette@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Would winrar be of use to me? I have vista and have downloaded some
> compressed files - but when right clicking cannot find the option to unzip
> them, only open or open with. i used to have winzip evaluation to help, as
> could not get around this problem - but it has run out and i cannot afford
> buy the full version. would winrar solve this for me if i download this?
>
> (I have not heard of winrar before this thread - but it seems that maybe
> it
> will help)
> "eric roger dos santos" wrote:
>

>> "jrc1980" wrote:
>>
>> > I ordered some files and they came in rar and zip format. I know
>> > nothing
>> > about them. I downloaded winrar to read them. I guess I'm not using
>> > it
>> > right or something. All I get is codes and stuff. I need to open
>> > these
>> > files so that I can read them in plain english. I want to use these
>> > files on
>> > my web-site. Any ideas?

DDW

Re: Help!!!! rar and zip files
On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 18:15:13 -0800, "Cari \(MS-MVP\)"
<newsgroups@coribright.com> wrote:

>You can try a trial version of WinRar from www.rarlabs.com.

Or use 7-zip forever (it's free).

http://www.7-zip.org/

It adds itself to explorer's right-click menu, making extracting the
files quite simple.

DDW
No email please