Visual C++ Redistributable - Error 1935

Tim

Visual C++ Redistributable - Error 1935
Problem: Visual C++ Redistributable install on fresh install of Vista Utimate
OEM with SP1

Following a reformat and new install of Vista, the first non-microsoft
install I attempted to make was Nero v8.3.2.1, which failed to install
indicacting it needed Visual C++ Redistributable. From Microsoft site I found
two version; the 2005 (which did not include Vista in the list of supported
OS's) and 2008 (which did). I was on topic at www.vistaheads.com that 2005
works with Vista.

Both were the standalone install versions. Attempting to install
vcredist_x86.exe and vcredist_x86.msi (2005) both produced the same error in
log:
----------
Error 1935.An error occurred during the installation of assembly
'Microsoft.VC80.ATL,type="win32",version="8.0.5072
7.762",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",processor Architecture="x86"'.
Please refer to Help and Support for more information. HRESULT: 0x80070005.
assembly interface: IAssemblyCache, function: CreateAssemblyCacheItem,
component: {97F81AF1-0E47-DC99-A01F-C8B3B9A1E18E}
=== Logging stopped: 4/29/2008 10:38:02 ===
----------

Attempting to install 2007 version produced (extracted from log):
----------
[04/29/08,10:50:30] MsiInstallProduct called with Command line:
[04/29/08,10:50:30] USING_EXUIH=1 REBOOT=ReallySuppress FILESINUSETEXT=""
LOCPRODUCTNAME="Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable"
[04/29/08,10:50:31] Display message
[04/29/08,10:50:31] Error 1935.An error occurred during the installation of
assembly 'Microsoft.VC90.ATL,version="9.0.21022.8",publicKe
yToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",processorArchitecture="x 86",type="win32"'. Please
refer to Help and Support for more information. HRESULT: 0x80070005.
[04/29/08,10:50:34] Entering CNavigator::Next
[04/29/08,10:50:34] Leaving CNavigator::Next
----------

A Vistaheads user thought the problem may stem from the ATL80.DLL file
contained in subdirectory under C:\Windows\Winsxs, which in my case was:
x86_microsoft.vc80.atl_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727. 42_none_dc990e4797f81af1

I first attempted to rename/delete this winsxs subdirectectory, but was not
successful (even after giving myself permissions). However I discovered
during this process that the surrounding subdirectories included SYSTEM and
TRUSTEDINSTALLLER, while this this one did not. I added SYSTEM, but could not
figure out how to add TRUSTEDINSTALLER.

I had problems installing NetFramework 3.5, but believe it installed
properly in the end. It was suggested that I also install NetFramework 1.1,
which I did. Still vcredist_x86 would not install.

It was suggested that I check to see if there were multiple instances of
Mscoree.dll running; I could find none.

Next, figuring that "if" the problem was with permissions related to the
subdirectory containing the ATL80.DLL, I finally used a BootCD and NTSF file
manager utility to rename the directory, hoping it would be recreated on
install of vcredist_X86. It still would not install.

I have double checked this forum (and many others) reporting (various error
numbers) problems installing vcredist_x86.exe, however they all stop short of
a solution. I simply want (as an end user) to get this fuctionality loaded
(Visual C++ Redistributable) so I can get on to rebuilding my fresh install.
Can anyone suggest what I might try. I have several additional programs that
will require a solution to this problem.
Tim

RE: VisuError 1935 Problem Solved
While nobody ever replied to my problem, I will post a follow-up

I have everything working now. I am not an OS expert. I do not understand
whay it's working now and wasn't before. There are only it only one thing I
did different on this build and in my opinion, it should not have been the
cause of the problem. I will report it here in the event it that other's may
make sense of it and/or that it may help somebody.

I've keep a fairly accurate log of things I've tried, which is basically a
consolidation of suggestions from this and other sitess. I won't waste folks
time and space by posting it, but it anyone is interested, I could clean it
up a bit and make it available.

When I rebuild a system I begin with fresh install of original OS (I will
use a slip with SP's and updates if I've prepared one in advance);
immediately add lastest SP; then subsequent updates. At that point I'll
address any device driver problems (if any; none in this case). Usually my
next step is to install anti-virus (I've been using Advast) and spyware (I've
been using SpySweeper). Then on connect to the web and check for updates to
(a) anti-virus, (b) spyware, and (c) OS.

1st Build (the problem): After OS install, I ran SP1 from my hard drive, a
copy I had downloaded direct from Microsoft in anticipation of rebuild. When
I invoked SP1, a screen told me that is was preferable that I use windows
automatic update. So I stopped SP1 and used auto update, which presented me
with lots of updates, and SP1 was not an optioin listed. This surprised me;
I'd expected it to be the first option listed. I went through all updates,
rebooting when asked, until all were installed. Next I installed anti-virus
and spyware. When I tried installing Nero (which needed Visual C++
Redistributable), I than learned I had a problem. I spent 3 days attempting
to get this to work, not only to get it to work, but to understand why I was
having a problem. As frustration sit in, I began pushing the envelope a bit
and began trying things I knew I probably shouldn't, just to see what would
happen, and made my system unstable to the point that a fresh install made
sense.

2nd Build (now works): Since Nero and Visual C++ Redistributable were the
source of my original problem, I decided I'd install new OS, and stop at that
point. Afterall, this same hardware and software had worked before. Was SP1
or subsequent updates the problem; or anti-virus/spyware. So I loaded
nothing. I attempted to install Nero; same problem. I next attempted to
load Visual C++ Redistributable; same problem. I had made no progress and
had not a single idea why. I did an exhaustive search of the web and found
other suggestion, but this time only tried things I knew would not leave my
system unstable. I took a break for several hours hoping that when I
returned I'd have brillent ideas; that didn't work. So I proceeded,
installing SP1; but this time I downloaded SP1 from The Software Patch -- I
like their site because (a) their downloads are much faster than Microsoft's,
(b) they have updates categorized by date, (c) and they explain what each
update is for. So I downloaded SP1 and all subsequent updates from their
site and installed them in order. BTW -- the SP1 from The Software Patch was
a different sized file than what I got from Microsoft. I installed
downloaded SP1 and all updates from my system. At that point Visual C++
Redistributable installed without problem. And subsequently Nero. Problem
solved.

Does this make sense? I think not; at least not to me.

If anyone has read to this point, I'd be very interested in recommended
anti-virus, spyware, registry cleaners/optimizers, regedit alternatives, etc.

Again, I don't like wasting other people's time and appreciate your help. I
hope my experience can help someone, somehow.

--tim

Flip van Tiel

"Tim" wrote:

> [...]
> (b) they have updates categorized by date, (c) and they explain what each
> update is for. So I downloaded SP1 and all subsequent updates from their
> site and installed them in order. BTW -- the SP1 from The Software Patch was
> a different sized file than what I got from Microsoft. I installed
> downloaded SP1 and all updates from my system. At that point Visual C++
> Redistributable installed without problem. And subsequently Nero. Problem
> solved.
>
> Does this make sense? I think not; at least not to me.
>
> If anyone has read to this point, I'd be very interested in recommended
> anti-virus, spyware, registry cleaners/optimizers, regedit alternatives, etc.
>
> Again, I don't like wasting other people's time and appreciate your help. I
> hope my experience can help someone, somehow.

ron

RE: Visual C++ Redistributable - Error 1935

"Tim" wrote:

> [...]
> which I did. Still vcredist_x86 would not install.
>
> It was suggested that I check to see if there were multiple instances of
> Mscoree.dll running; I could find none.
>
> Next, figuring that "if" the problem was with permissions related to the
> subdirectory containing the ATL80.DLL, I finally used a BootCD and NTSF file
> manager utility to rename the directory, hoping it would be recreated on
> install of vcredist_X86. It still would not install.
>
> I have double checked this forum (and many others) reporting (various error
> numbers) problems installing vcredist_x86.exe, however they all stop short of
> a solution. I simply want (as an end user) to get this fuctionality loaded
> (Visual C++ Redistributable) so I can get on to rebuilding my fresh install.
> Can anyone suggest what I might try. I have several additional programs that
> will require a solution to this problem.

Jimmy Davis

Re:Visual C++ Redistributable - Error 1935
Your absolutely right!!
This makes NO SENSE.
But I am having issues with gettign Vista SP1 to install as well as several
other progs. I may have to try going to your software patch site and see if
that version of SP1 will take.

url:http://www.ureader.com/msg/16902657.aspx