Bios software

Wendell

Bios software
I need to create a system startup disk to upgrade my system bios. How do I do
this?
Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Bios software
"Wendell" <Wendell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need to create a system startup disk to upgrade my system bios. How do I
>do
> this?

Format a diskette

Download the new BIOS file and then copy it to the freshly formatted
diskette

Download the correct BIOS flash utility for your system and copy it to the
diskette

Go into BIOS and set the first bootable device to 'removable'

Reboot your computer with the diskette still in the drive..

Follow the onscreen instructions, hoping that you have the correct BIOS file
for your system, because if you don't................ :-)

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Dave R.

Re: Bios software

"Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@remove_mvps.com> wrote in message
> "Wendell" <Wendell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I need to create a system startup disk to upgrade my system bios. How
>>do I do
>> this?

> Format a diskette
>
> Download the new BIOS file and then copy it to the freshly formatted
> diskette
>
> Download the correct BIOS flash utility for your system and copy it to
> the diskette
>
> Go into BIOS and set the first bootable device to 'removable'
>
> Reboot your computer with the diskette still in the drive..
>
> Follow the onscreen instructions, hoping that you have the correct
> BIOS file for your system, because if you don't................ :-)

Mike, you forgot something - like how to make a system startup disk.
:-) Simply formatting it won't do it as I'm sure you know. You also
assume the OP knows how to tell Vista to format a diskette, which from
the initial post I'm not sure is the case...

Wendell, if you still need help formatting a diskette as a system
startup disk:

Make sure you have a diskette in the drive - it will be completely
erased, so make sure it doesn't contain anything you don't want to lose.
From Explorer, right-click the floppy drive icon and click "Format..."
from the context menu
Check the box next to "Create an MS-DOS startup disk", then click the
Start button

Hope this helps.

Dave

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Bios software
"Dave R." <dwragle (at) drbsystems (dot) com> wrote in message

> "Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@remove_mvps.com> wrote in message
>> "Wendell" <Wendell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I need to create a system startup disk to upgrade my system bios. How do
>>>I do
>>> this?

>> Format a diskette
>>
>> Download the new BIOS file and then copy it to the freshly formatted
>> diskette
>>
>> Download the correct BIOS flash utility for your system and copy it to
>> the diskette
>>
>> Go into BIOS and set the first bootable device to 'removable'
>>
>> Reboot your computer with the diskette still in the drive..
>>
>> Follow the onscreen instructions, hoping that you have the correct BIOS
>> file for your system, because if you don't................ :-)
>>

> Mike, you forgot something - like how to make a system startup disk. :-)
> Simply formatting it won't do it as I'm sure you know. You also assume
> the OP knows how to tell Vista to format a diskette, which from the
> initial post I'm not sure is the case...
>
> Wendell, if you still need help formatting a diskette as a system startup
> disk:
>
> Make sure you have a diskette in the drive - it will be completely erased,
> so make sure it doesn't contain anything you don't want to lose.
> From Explorer, right-click the floppy drive icon and click "Format..."
> from the context menu
> Check the box next to "Create an MS-DOS startup disk", then click the
> Start button
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Dave

Anybody attempting to flash the BIOS should know that already or, if not,
refrain from flashing the BIOS at all

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Art

> "Dave R." <dwragle (at) drbsystems (dot) com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@remove_mvps.com> wrote in message
>>> "Wendell" <Wendell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>

>>> Format a diskette
>>>
>>> Download the new BIOS file and then copy it to the freshly formatted
>>> diskette
>>>
>>> Download the correct BIOS flash utility for your system and copy it to
>>> the diskette
>>>
>>> Go into BIOS and set the first bootable device to 'removable'
>>>
>>> Reboot your computer with the diskette still in the drive..
>>>
>>> Follow the onscreen instructions, hoping that you have the correct BIOS
>>> file for your system, because if you don't................ :-)
>>>

>> Mike, you forgot something - like how to make a system startup disk. :-)
>> Simply formatting it won't do it as I'm sure you know. You also assume
>> the OP knows how to tell Vista to format a diskette, which from the
>> initial post I'm not sure is the case...
>>
>> Wendell, if you still need help formatting a diskette as a system startup
>> disk:
>>
>> Make sure you have a diskette in the drive - it will be completely
>> erased, so make sure it doesn't contain anything you don't want to lose.
>> From Explorer, right-click the floppy drive icon and click "Format..."
>> from the context menu
>> Check the box next to "Create an MS-DOS startup disk", then click the
>> Start button
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Dave
>>

> Anybody attempting to flash the BIOS should know that already or, if not,
> refrain from flashing the BIOS at all
>
> --
> Mike Hall - MVP
> How to construct a good post..
> http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm
> How to use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups..
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...help&style=toc
> Mike's Window - My Blog..
>

>Seems that both you are presuming the system he is using actually has a
>floppy drive. Many newer systems, and most laptops, do not even consider
>floppy drives as an option let alone a standard piece of equipment. However
>the information being given is correct and applicable when flashing the
>bios on a system that does have floppy drive access.

As briefly noted, make absolutely sure the bios version you are trying to
flash into the eprom is correct for your motherboard, otherwise have the
change ready to possibly purchase another motherboard.

Wendell

Re: Bios software
Thank you all, this is just the info I was looking for.

> Thank you all, this is just the info I was looking for.
>
> "Art" wrote:
>

>> "Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@remove_mvps.com> wrote in message
>> > "Dave R." <dwragle (at) drbsystems (dot) com> wrote in message

>> > Anybody attempting to flash the BIOS should know that already or, if
>> > not,
>> > refrain from flashing the BIOS at all
>> >
>> > --
>> > Mike Hall - MVP
>> > How to construct a good post..
>> > http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm
>> > How to use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups..
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/default...help&style=toc
>> > Mike's Window - My Blog..
>> > http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/default.aspx
>> >

>> >Seems that both you are presuming the system he is using actually has a
>> >floppy drive. Many newer systems, and most laptops, do not even consider
>> >floppy drives as an option let alone a standard piece of equipment.
>> >However
>> >the information being given is correct and applicable when flashing the
>> >bios on a system that does have floppy drive access.

>> As briefly noted, make absolutely sure the bios version you are trying to
>> flash into the eprom is correct for your motherboard, otherwise have the
>> change ready to possibly purchase another motherboard.

Good luck with the flash.. :-)

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..