Disk management

kent@adahighlander.com

Disk management
I have my old XP load on my C drive and Vista on the D drive. I'm
ready to wipe out XP (I know lots of folks would go the other way) so
I can create a mirror copy of Vista for fault tolerance. Before I
enable RAID in the firmware, I'm thinking I need to format the C
drive. However the Disk Management utility has the format command
grayed out for the C drive. It shows up as:

Disk 0: C: NTFS, Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition)

My D drive is:

Disk 2: D: NTFS, Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary
Partition)

What is the proper way to wipe out C so I can create my RAID mirror?

Thanks,
Kent
philo

Re: Disk management

<kent@adahighlander.com> wrote in message
> I have my old XP load on my C drive and Vista on the D drive. I'm
> ready to wipe out XP (I know lots of folks would go the other way) so
> I can create a mirror copy of Vista for fault tolerance. Before I
> enable RAID in the firmware, I'm thinking I need to format the C
> drive. However the Disk Management utility has the format command
> grayed out for the C drive. It shows up as:
>
> Disk 0: C: NTFS, Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition)
>
> My D drive is:
>
> Disk 2: D: NTFS, Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary
> Partition)
>
> What is the proper way to wipe out C so I can create my RAID mirror?
>
> Thanks,
> Kent

You can't wipe it out as your "boot" files are located there

kent@adahighlander.com

Re: Disk management
On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 02:58:21 -0500, "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote:

><kent@adahighlander.com> wrote in message
>news:2ltc14d23mf55ut95pa73dpe41vkbpb2qk@4ax.com.. .
>> I have my old XP load on my C drive and Vista on the D drive. I'm
>> ready to wipe out XP (I know lots of folks would go the other way) so
>> I can create a mirror copy of Vista for fault tolerance. Before I
>> enable RAID in the firmware, I'm thinking I need to format the C
>> drive. However the Disk Management utility has the format command
>> grayed out for the C drive. It shows up as:
>>
>> Disk 0: C: NTFS, Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition)
>>
>> My D drive is:
>>
>> Disk 2: D: NTFS, Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary
>> Partition)
>>
>> What is the proper way to wipe out C so I can create my RAID mirror?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Kent

>You can't wipe it out as your "boot" files are located there

OK I see from VistaBootPro that the boot manager is still on the C
drive. Does anyone have any guidance on how to move the boot manager
to my Vista drive?
andy

Re: Disk management
On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 08:30:14 -0400, kent@adahighlander.com wrote:

>On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 02:58:21 -0500, "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote:
>

>><kent@adahighlander.com> wrote in message
>>news:2ltc14d23mf55ut95pa73dpe41vkbpb2qk@4ax.com. ..
>>> I have my old XP load on my C drive and Vista on the D drive. I'm
>>> ready to wipe out XP (I know lots of folks would go the other way) so
>>> I can create a mirror copy of Vista for fault tolerance. Before I
>>> enable RAID in the firmware, I'm thinking I need to format the C
>>> drive. However the Disk Management utility has the format command
>>> grayed out for the C drive. It shows up as:
>>>
>>> Disk 0: C: NTFS, Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition)
>>>
>>> My D drive is:
>>>
>>> Disk 2: D: NTFS, Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary
>>> Partition)
>>>
>>> What is the proper way to wipe out C so I can create my RAID mirror?

First run Disk Management, and set the primary partition on Disk 2 to
active.
Then remove Disk 0, configure your system so the BIOS boots from Disk
2, and follow steps 2 through 15 at
<http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.vista.general/browse_thread/thread/a434fb8e883bfe76/e44fccdac924c871?hl=en&lnk=st&q=#e44fccdac924c871>
Ignore any references to Windows XP.