Vista has never correctly installed, after dozens and dozens of tries and removal of cards and everything.

Wisgary

Vista has never correctly installed, after dozens and dozens of tries and removal of cards and everything.
ASRock 939 Dual Sata 2
Radeon 9700 Non-Pro
Athlon 64 3200+
2GB Dual Channel DDR400 RAM
SoundBlaster Audigy Gamer
3 IDE HDs, 1 DVD-RW drive

I have a feeling it's the video card, one time I was able to get it to
kind of install, and it worked fine if I deleted the video drivers and
it loaded with the crappy VGA driver , as soon as I installed the
Catalyst drivers (whichever catalyst version I installed didn't
matter) it started to crap out again on boot. Only managed to make it
boot with last known good configuration. After that one fluke, it's
never gotten past the "Completing installation" part. It does all the
stuff, restarts once, says it's preparing to set up for the first
time, then it goes back to completing installation, and finally dies.
After that installation just says it can't go on and that I need to go
back to the beginning. Damnit. Anyone fixed a similar issue?

Wisgary

Re: Vista has never correctly installed, after dozens and dozens of tries and removal of cards and everything.
On Mar 15, 9:39 pm, "Wisgary" <wisg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ASRock 939 Dual Sata 2
> Radeon 9700 Non-Pro
> Athlon 64 3200+
> 2GB Dual Channel DDR400 RAM
> SoundBlaster Audigy Gamer
> 3 IDE HDs, 1 DVD-RW drive
>
> I have a feeling it's the video card, one time I was able to get it to
> kind of install, and it worked fine if I deleted the video drivers and
> it loaded with the crappy VGA driver , as soon as I installed the
> Catalyst drivers (whichever catalyst version I installed didn't
> matter) it started to crap out again on boot. Only managed to make it
> boot with last known good configuration. After that one fluke, it's
> never gotten past the "Completing installation" part. It does all the
> stuff, restarts once, says it's preparing to set up for the first
> time, then it goes back to completing installation, and finally dies.
> After that installation just says it can't go on and that I need to go
> back to the beginning. Damnit. Anyone fixed a similar issue?

Forgot to mention, the card is VGA, the motherboard has both VGA and
PCI-E, I'm waiting on the Geforce 8600 so I can buy a card with DX10,
and was basically waiting until then to see if it really was a video
card. Also, it's all set up on a triple boot with Ubuntu and XP.

On Mar 15, 9:45 pm, "Wisgary" <wisg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 15, 9:44 pm, "Wisgary" <wisg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mar 15, 9:39 pm, "Wisgary" <wisg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > ASRock 939 Dual Sata 2
> > > Radeon 9700 Non-Pro
> > > Athlon 64 3200+
> > > 2GB Dual Channel DDR400 RAM
> > > SoundBlaster Audigy Gamer
> > > 3 IDE HDs, 1 DVD-RW drive

> > > I have a feeling it's the video card, one time I was able to get it to
> > > kind of install, and it worked fine if I deleted the video drivers and
> > > it loaded with the crappy VGA driver , as soon as I installed the
> > > Catalyst drivers (whichever catalyst version I installed didn't
> > > matter) it started to crap out again on boot. Only managed to make it
> > > boot with last known good configuration. After that one fluke, it's
> > > never gotten past the "Completing installation" part. It does all the
> > > stuff, restarts once, says it's preparing to set up for the first
> > > time, then it goes back to completing installation, and finally dies.
> > > After that installation just says it can't go on and that I need to go
> > > back to the beginning. Damnit. Anyone fixed a similar issue?

> > Forgot to mention, the card is VGA, the motherboard has both VGA and
> > PCI-E, I'm waiting on the Geforce 8600 so I can buy a card with DX10,
> > and was basically waiting until then to see if it really was a video
> > card. Also, it's all set up on a triple boot with Ubuntu and XP.

That was dumb, accidentally hit the send button, and also,
accidentally said VGA when I meant AGP. The card is AGP.

Don

Wisgary wrote:
>>> Forgot to mention, the card is VGA, the motherboard has both VGA and
>>> PCI-E...

> That was dumb, accidentally hit the send button, and also,
> accidentally said VGA when I meant AGP. The card is AGP.

Are you referring to BIOS settings? I have one machine that won't
boot XP if the BIOS is set to its default of AGP -- I have to
change it to PCI every time the power fails. (The battery on the
mobo is dead and I'm too lazy to replace it ;o)
Michael Jennings

Re: Vista has never correctly installed, after dozens and dozens of tries and removal of cards and everything.
Unplug all but the drive that gets the Vista installation.
You can probably leave the DVD plugged in. Vista has
a way of getting confused when there are a lot of drives.
After you've gotten Vista installed, plug the other two drives
back in - Vista will see them. Then straighten everything out
with grub and however you're managing the Windows boots.

"Wisgary" <wisgary@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1174009620.381387.129630@y66g2000hsf.googlegr oups.com...
> On Mar 15, 9:45 pm, "Wisgary" <wisg...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Forgot to mention, the card is VGA, the motherboard has both VGA and
>> > PCI-E, I'm waiting on the Geforce 8600 so I can buy a card with DX10,
>> > and was basically waiting until then to see if it really was a video
>> > card. Also, it's all set up on a triple boot with Ubuntu and XP.

> That was dumb, accidentally hit the send button, and also,
> accidentally said VGA when I meant AGP. The card is AGP.

mikeyhsd

Re: Vista has never correctly installed, after dozens and dozens of tries and removal of cards and everything.
others have had similar problems with asrock mobo.
might check with them to see if there is any info or maybe bios update.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net