Vista Crash Failed Restore Screen Blank

rugbycentre

Vista Crash Failed Restore Screen Blank

Hi Guys

I'm new to the forum and not very technical.

OS: Vista Home Premium 32

Background: In the last few days, my Vista went horribly wrong - it
crashed and I dont know why. I havent added anything new apart from
software - BBC iPlayer. Plsu, a lexmark printer driver for an X1100 has
never worked - it is not vista approved but the printer has worked. I
tried restoring to an older version using my original install CD but it
fails.

Observation:
The PC does startup now but when I click on my account login - I get a
blank screen and explorer doesnt display - there is no desktop. If I
press Ctrl-Alt-Del - I can see the usual choices...

Please help...

Regards, Dave

--
rugbycentre
Rick Rogers

Re: Vista Crash Failed Restore Screen Blank
Hi,

Press ctrl+shift+escape to open task manager. From the applications tab,
click 'new task'. Type regedit and click ok. Click ok at the UAC prompt to
open the registry editor. Expand the branches to reach this key:

Locate the shell string and double click it. Replace the contents with just:

explorer.exe

Click ok, close the registry editor, then exit task manager and reboot the
machine.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"rugbycentre" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi Guys
>
> I'm new to the forum and not very technical.
>
> OS: Vista Home Premium 32
>
> Background: In the last few days, my Vista went horribly wrong - it
> crashed and I dont know why. I havent added anything new apart from
> software - BBC iPlayer. Plsu, a lexmark printer driver for an X1100 has
> never worked - it is not vista approved but the printer has worked. I
> tried restoring to an older version using my original install CD but it
> fails.
>
> Observation:
> The PC does startup now but when I click on my account login - I get a
> blank screen and explorer doesnt display - there is no desktop. If I
> press Ctrl-Alt-Del - I can see the usual choices...
>
> Please help...
>
> Regards, Dave
>

> --
> rugbycentre

rugbycentre

Re: Vista Crash Failed Restore Screen Blank

Rick

Thanks - the key sequence doesn't work.

I've now done a complete reinstall and I get the same problem. I can
only get to explorer if I use safe mode? Really weird?

Rgds, Dave

--
rugbycentre
Bob W

Re: Vista Crash Failed Restore Screen Blank
You aren't running Norton with Vista by any chance are you?
Bob, Still Old, Still Grey, And Still A Woolf

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly inconvenienced. And a party was thrown for them afterwards for being really cool about it.

Bob's Space - Home Page of the Olde Greywoolf

"rugbycentre" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message news:95c07e19e2f1e86d2281807574c6afbf@nntp-gateway.com...

Rick

Thanks - the key sequence doesn't work.

I've now done a complete reinstall and I get the same problem. I can
only get to explorer if I use safe mode? Really weird?

Rgds, Dave

--
rugbycentre
Malke

rugbycentre wrote:

> Rick
>
> Thanks - the key sequence doesn't work.
>
> I've now done a complete reinstall and I get the same problem. I can
> only get to explorer if I use safe mode? Really weird?

Since the problem occurs on a clean install of Windows, then you may be
having hardware issues related to the video card. If this is an OEM machine
(Dell, HP, etc.), contact the OEM's tech support for repair/replacement.

Things to do to determine that this isn't software-related:

1. Boot with a rescue system such as a Linux Live CD (Knoppix, Ubuntu) or a
Bart's PE. If you experience the same issues under a different operating
system, you have hardware failures.

2. Do clean-boot troubleshooting to make sure that the issue isn't caused y
something you have starting with Windows in Regular Mode.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista -

3. Update the video card drivers. Get them from either the OEM's website if
you have that sort of machine or the video card mftr.'s website if you put
this card in yourself or it's a home-built/generic.

Otherwise, it's time to do some hardware testing starting with the video
card.

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...ardware_Tshoot

Standard disclaimer: I can't see and test your computer myself, so these are
just suggestions based on many years of being a professional computer tech;
suggestions based on what you've written. You should not take my
suggestions as a definitive diagnosis. Testing hardware failures often
involves swapping out suspected parts with known-good parts. If you can't
do the testing yourself and/or are uncomfortable opening your computer,
take the machine to a professional computer repair shop (not your local
equivalent of BigComputerStore/GeekSquad). If possible, have all your data
backed up before you take the machine into a shop.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
rugbycentre

Re: Vista Crash Failed Restore Screen Blank

thx

tried this - no norton running.

i got into safe mode with networking eventually...

a friend did some googling for me and someone suggested turning off
User Account Control UAC. I did and it worked...

im afraid to switch it back on now though...

thx for all help

--
rugbycentre