Troubleshooting Excessive CPU usage

PhilTheGap

Troubleshooting Excessive CPU usage
Hi there,

After installing Vista Ultimate, I am experiencing problems with processes
using an excessive amount of CPU. However when I run the task manager, and
clicking on "Show processs from all users", I can't see which process is
responsible since none is consuming more than a few percent of the CPU... My
computer is obviously very slow and I haven't installed any program yet.

Anyone having a similar problem?

Philippe

Mick Murphy

RE: Troubleshooting Excessive CPU usage
A new install of Vista!
It is just doing its normal file indexing, etc.
Should settle down in a few days.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"PhilTheGap" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> After installing Vista Ultimate, I am experiencing problems with processes
> using an excessive amount of CPU. However when I run the task manager, and
> clicking on "Show processs from all users", I can't see which process is
> responsible since none is consuming more than a few percent of the CPU... My
> computer is obviously very slow and I haven't installed any program yet.
>
> Anyone having a similar problem?
>
> Philippe

PhilTheGap

Re: Troubleshooting Excessive CPU usage
Hello Mick,

"Mick Murphy" <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message
de news:C5FD72A6-467F-409D-AAC3-9B3261CD8D01@microsoft.com...
>A new install of Vista!
> It is just doing its normal file indexing, etc.
> Should settle down in a few days.
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

Are you kidding ? Do you really think this is a normal behaviour ?

Philippe

BurrWalnut

RE: Troubleshooting Excessive CPU usage
Go to Administrative Tools > Reliability and Performance Monitor and on the
right, click on the drop-down arrow to see what program/service is
accessing/using the CPU, Hard Disk, Network or Memory.

"PhilTheGap" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> After installing Vista Ultimate, I am experiencing problems with processes
> using an excessive amount of CPU. However when I run the task manager, and
> clicking on "Show processs from all users", I can't see which process is
> responsible since none is consuming more than a few percent of the CPU... My
> computer is obviously very slow and I haven't installed any program yet.
>
> Anyone having a similar problem?
>
> Philippe

PhilTheGap

Re: Troubleshooting Excessive CPU usage
Hi Burr,
"BurrWalnut" <BurrWalnut@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message
de news:F024D9CC-D84B-49C8-90AA-08315FEDCAD5@microsoft.com...
> Go to Administrative Tools > Reliability and Performance Monitor and on
> the
> right, click on the drop-down arrow to see what program/service is
> accessing/using the CPU, Hard Disk, Network or Memory.

I did that yesterday, I will redo that tonite at home. I didn't notice
anything particular except for the average CPU level (but I couldn't see
what service was consuming so much CPU).

Thanks for your help

Philippe

Mick Murphy

Re: Troubleshooting Excessive CPU usage
Yes I do!!!!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"PhilTheGap" wrote:

> Hello Mick,
>
> "Mick Murphy" <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message
> de news:C5FD72A6-467F-409D-AAC3-9B3261CD8D01@microsoft.com...
> >A new install of Vista!
> > It is just doing its normal file indexing, etc.
> > Should settle down in a few days.
> > --
> > Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

> Are you kidding ? Do you really think this is a normal behaviour ?
>
> Philippe

PhilTheGap

Re: Troubleshooting Excessive CPU usage
After launching "Process Explorer", I can see that the CPU is consumed by
the hardware interrupts (98%). Thus it should be a driver problem. I then
have a look in the drivers configuration panel and - what a surprise ! - I
saw that the "standard VGA driver" couldn't start. So I will try - in a few
hours - to install the Vista driver of my Radeon graphic card (happily, it
is recent enough). In fact, the current driver has been installed during the
Vista setup process, and probably this is not the right one...

Best regards

Denis

Re: Troubleshooting Excessive CPU usage
PhilTheGap a crit :
> Hi there,
>
> After installing Vista Ultimate, I am experiencing problems with
> processes using an excessive amount of CPU. However when I run the task
> manager, and clicking on "Show processs from all users", I can't see
> which process is responsible since none is consuming more than a few
> percent of the CPU... My computer is obviously very slow and I haven't
> installed any program yet.
>
> Anyone having a similar problem?
>
> Philippe

Hi
What is your printer driver?
if your printer is HP try to disable in msconfig all driver for your hp
product
In my case I resolved my cpu exessive utilisation like that.

I hope this help you

Denis
Curious

Re: Troubleshooting Excessive CPU usage
Phillip,
Are you saying that no process or task is using a lot of CPU power then I
do not understand how your total CPU usage can be very high.
Maybe something else is causing your system to be slow.

<Denis> wrote in message news:uNCmWp%23qIHA.4280@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> PhilTheGap a crit :
>> Hi there,
>>
>> After installing Vista Ultimate, I am experiencing problems with
>> processes using an excessive amount of CPU. However when I run the task
>> manager, and clicking on "Show processs from all users", I can't see
>> which process is responsible since none is consuming more than a few
>> percent of the CPU... My computer is obviously very slow and I haven't
>> installed any program yet.
>>
>> Anyone having a similar problem?
>>
>> Philippe
>>

> Hi
> What is your printer driver?
> if your printer is HP try to disable in msconfig all driver for your hp
> product
> In my case I resolved my cpu exessive utilisation like that.
>
> I hope this help you
>
> Denis

PhilTheGap

Re: Troubleshooting Excessive CPU usage

"Curious" <spammenot@nospam.nospam> a crit dans le message de
newsDABF19D-207E-4461-9C17-F1CAF1DF2794@microsoft.com...
> Phillip,
> Are you saying that no process or task is using a lot of CPU power then I
> do not understand how your total CPU usage can be very high.
> Maybe something else is causing your system to be slow.

I quote my message from the 29th of april:
"After launching "Process Explorer", I can see that the CPU is consumed by
the hardware interrupts (98%). Thus it should be a driver problem. I then
have a look in the drivers configuration panel and - what a surprise ! - I
saw that the "standard VGA driver" couldn't start. So I will try - in a few
hours - to install the Vista driver of my Radeon graphic card (happily, it
is recent enough). In fact, the current driver has been installed during the
Vista setup process, and probably this is not the right one..."

Now I've installed the right Radeon driver (and it works), but the situation
is the same: still 100% CPU used. I have to look into the drivers...

Philippe