Resetting vista DRM??

Carlo Razzeto

Resetting vista DRM??
Hey there,

I just recently finished upgrading my system from an nfroce 4 based Athlon
64x2 to a quad phenom 9850 with an amd 790fx based motherboard. So far it's
all gone very well except one nagging issue. My media center can no longer
record TV and my Zune player keeps throwing out error messages regarding
media rights needing to be reset. After checking the event log I confirmed
that Media Center is also unhappy with the current DRM situation, I guess
because the motherboard changed.

I've followed the steps outlined in this KB artical
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891664/en-us but I've run into a snag. It
points you to a website to update media rights but the site is broken, and I
mean completely broken. All I get is a JS error saying invalid parameter, a
generic MS gui and a continue button that is disabled and stays that way.
Any thoughts? Is it possible to reset DRM any other way? Or is there a way
to make this page work with vista? Any help would be appricated.

Rick Rogers

Re: Resetting vista DRM??
Hi,

The DRM update link in the article worked fine for me. You might want to
clear temporary internet files and try it again.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Carlo Razzeto" <crazzeto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hey there,
>
> I just recently finished upgrading my system from an nfroce 4 based Athlon
> 64x2 to a quad phenom 9850 with an amd 790fx based motherboard. So far
> it's all gone very well except one nagging issue. My media center can no
> longer record TV and my Zune player keeps throwing out error messages
> regarding media rights needing to be reset. After checking the event log I
> confirmed that Media Center is also unhappy with the current DRM
> situation, I guess because the motherboard changed.
>
> I've followed the steps outlined in this KB artical
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891664/en-us but I've run into a snag. It
> points you to a website to update media rights but the site is broken, and
> I mean completely broken. All I get is a JS error saying invalid
> parameter, a generic MS gui and a continue button that is disabled and
> stays that way. Any thoughts? Is it possible to reset DRM any other way?
> Or is there a way to make this page work with vista? Any help would be
> appricated.

Carlo Razzeto

Re: Resetting vista DRM??
Funny you should mention that, I tried that and it still does not work. Any
thoughts?

Carlo

> Hi,
>
> The DRM update link in the article worked fine for me. You might want to
> clear temporary internet files and try it again.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Carlo Razzeto" <crazzeto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hey there,
>>
>> I just recently finished upgrading my system from an nfroce 4 based
>> Athlon 64x2 to a quad phenom 9850 with an amd 790fx based motherboard. So
>> far it's all gone very well except one nagging issue. My media center can
>> no longer record TV and my Zune player keeps throwing out error messages
>> regarding media rights needing to be reset. After checking the event log
>> I confirmed that Media Center is also unhappy with the current DRM
>> situation, I guess because the motherboard changed.
>>
>> I've followed the steps outlined in this KB artical
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891664/en-us but I've run into a snag. It
>> points you to a website to update media rights but the site is broken,
>> and I mean completely broken. All I get is a JS error saying invalid
>> parameter, a generic MS gui and a continue button that is disabled and
>> stays that way. Any thoughts? Is it possible to reset DRM any other way?
>> Or is there a way to make this page work with vista? Any help would be
>> appricated.

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Resetting vista DRM??

Did you follow step 3?

You can also run a local (non-IE) indiv through running:
unregmp2.exe /PerformIndiv
, but it won't give you any UI back so the only confirmation is to check
WMP's Help:about:Technical Support Information menu tool for the "Indiv
Level" value.

--
Speaking for myself only.
> Funny you should mention that, I tried that and it still does not work.
> Any thoughts?
>
> Carlo

>> Hi,
>>
>> The DRM update link in the article worked fine for me. You might want to
>> clear temporary internet files and try it again.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Carlo Razzeto" <crazzeto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hey there,
>>>
>>> I just recently finished upgrading my system from an nfroce 4 based
>>> Athlon 64x2 to a quad phenom 9850 with an amd 790fx based motherboard.
>>> So far it's all gone very well except one nagging issue. My media center
>>> can no longer record TV and my Zune player keeps throwing out error
>>> messages regarding media rights needing to be reset. After checking the
>>> event log I confirmed that Media Center is also unhappy with the current
>>> DRM situation, I guess because the motherboard changed.
>>>
>>> I've followed the steps outlined in this KB artical
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891664/en-us but I've run into a snag.
>>> It points you to a website to update media rights but the site is
>>> broken, and I mean completely broken. All I get is a JS error saying
>>> invalid parameter, a generic MS gui and a continue button that is
>>> disabled and stays that way. Any thoughts? Is it possible to reset DRM
>>> any other way? Or is there a way to make this page work with vista? Any
>>> help would be appricated.

Carlo Razzeto

Re: Resetting vista DRM??
I did not notice this, I will give this a try... thank you very much.

Carlo

"zachd [MSFT]" <zachd@nomailplz.online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Did you follow step 3?
>
> You can also run a local (non-IE) indiv through running:
> unregmp2.exe /PerformIndiv
> , but it won't give you any UI back so the only confirmation is to check
> WMP's Help:about:Technical Support Information menu tool for the "Indiv
> Level" value.
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
> rights.
> --
> "Carlo Razzeto" <crazzeto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Funny you should mention that, I tried that and it still does not work.
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> Carlo
>>
>> "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The DRM update link in the article worked fine for me. You might want to
>>> clear temporary internet files and try it again.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best of Luck,

>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

Carlo Razzeto

Re: Resetting vista DRM??
On hold with Zune tech support listening to some nifterific techno....
Needless to say, that command didn't do the trick I am quite sad to say

WMP returns no information (at all) for DRM Version or Indiv Version,
there's no Indiv Level on the webpage which is generated. I tried visiting
that webpage again just for the fun of it with the same result. Javascript
error + disabled upgrade button. Anymore thoughts? I'll report back if the
Zune techies come up with anything. Thanks for the help.

Carlo

"zachd [MSFT]" <zachd@nomailplz.online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Did you follow step 3?
>
> You can also run a local (non-IE) indiv through running:
> unregmp2.exe /PerformIndiv
> , but it won't give you any UI back so the only confirmation is to check
> WMP's Help:about:Technical Support Information menu tool for the "Indiv
> Level" value.
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
> rights.
> --
> "Carlo Razzeto" <crazzeto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Funny you should mention that, I tried that and it still does not work.
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> Carlo
>>
>> "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The DRM update link in the article worked fine for me. You might want to
>>> clear temporary internet files and try it again.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best of Luck,

>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Resetting vista DRM??

I'm one of those Zune techies too. Woot. (I wear many many hats: it's part
of the fun of being around the company for a while. I'm probably much less
helpful than most of them though.)

That's actually helpful news. That means that Indiv is indeed failing which
means that either the Individualization store is busted or DRM is choking
for some reason.

Have you followed step 3 before trying the /PerformIndiv step?

What are the last 10 lines in the file %temp%\wmsetup.log ? This should
have the result of the Indiv attempt that unregmp2 just tried for you.

Zune is reliant upon the Windows Media DRM component working in order to
succeed. Since that is not working currently (as verified in WMP's menu
tool), Zune would be as blocked here as anyone else would be.

--
Speaking for myself only.
> On hold with Zune tech support listening to some nifterific techno....
> Needless to say, that command didn't do the trick I am quite sad to say
>
> WMP returns no information (at all) for DRM Version or Indiv Version,
> there's no Indiv Level on the webpage which is generated. I tried visiting
> that webpage again just for the fun of it with the same result. Javascript
> error + disabled upgrade button. Anymore thoughts? I'll report back if the
> Zune techies come up with anything. Thanks for the help.
>
> Carlo
>
> "zachd [MSFT]" <zachd@nomailplz.online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Did you follow step 3?
>>
>> You can also run a local (non-IE) indiv through running:
>> unregmp2.exe /PerformIndiv
>> , but it won't give you any UI back so the only confirmation is to check
>> WMP's Help:about:Technical Support Information menu tool for the "Indiv
>> Level" value.
>>
>> --
>> Speaking for myself only.
>> rights.
>> --
>> "Carlo Razzeto" <crazzeto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Funny you should mention that, I tried that and it still does not work.
>>> Any thoughts?
>>>
>>> Carlo

Carlo Razzeto

Re: Resetting vista DRM??
Thanks for the response,

Yeah, I've renamed DRM (which was empty btw) to DRMbackup, then I executed
the command. I'm not finding the wmsetup.log file in the system temp dir
(perhaps being cleaned too quickly??) so unfortunetly I can't respond with
this information. Anywhere else that might be stored? If it makes a
difference I"m running 64bit Ultimate edition vista.

> I'm one of those Zune techies too. Woot. (I wear many many hats: it's
> part of the fun of being around the company for a while. I'm probably
> much less helpful than most of them though.)
>
> That's actually helpful news. That means that Indiv is indeed failing
> which means that either the Individualization store is busted or DRM is
> choking for some reason.
>
> Have you followed step 3 before trying the /PerformIndiv step?
>
> What are the last 10 lines in the file %temp%\wmsetup.log ? This should
> have the result of the Indiv attempt that unregmp2 just tried for you.
>
> Zune is reliant upon the Windows Media DRM component working in order to
> succeed. Since that is not working currently (as verified in WMP's menu
> tool), Zune would be as blocked here as anyone else would be.
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
> rights.
> --
> "Carlo Razzeto" <crazzeto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On hold with Zune tech support listening to some nifterific techno....
>> Needless to say, that command didn't do the trick I am quite sad to say
>>

>> WMP returns no information (at all) for DRM Version or Indiv Version,
>> there's no Indiv Level on the webpage which is generated. I tried
>> visiting that webpage again just for the fun of it with the same result.
>> Javascript error + disabled upgrade button. Anymore thoughts? I'll report
>> back if the Zune techies come up with anything. Thanks for the help.
>>
>> Carlo
>>
>> "zachd [MSFT]" <zachd@nomailplz.online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Did you follow step 3?
>>>
>>> You can also run a local (non-IE) indiv through running:
>>> unregmp2.exe /PerformIndiv
>>> , but it won't give you any UI back so the only confirmation is to check
>>> WMP's Help:about:Technical Support Information menu tool for the "Indiv
>>> Level" value.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Speaking for myself only.
>>> See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
>>> rights.

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Resetting vista DRM??

Probably not - is wmsetup.log elsewhere on your system?

Are you using 32bit or 64bit Internet Explorer?

--
Speaking for myself only.
> Thanks for the response,
>
> Yeah, I've renamed DRM (which was empty btw) to DRMbackup, then I executed
> the command. I'm not finding the wmsetup.log file in the system temp dir
> (perhaps being cleaned too quickly??) so unfortunetly I can't respond with
> this information. Anywhere else that might be stored? If it makes a
> difference I"m running 64bit Ultimate edition vista.
>
> Carlo
>
> "zachd [MSFT]" <zachd@nomailplz.online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I'm one of those Zune techies too. Woot. (I wear many many hats: it's
>> part of the fun of being around the company for a while. I'm probably
>> much less helpful than most of them though.)
>>
>> That's actually helpful news. That means that Indiv is indeed failing
>> which means that either the Individualization store is busted or DRM is
>> choking for some reason.
>>
>> Have you followed step 3 before trying the /PerformIndiv step?
>>
>> What are the last 10 lines in the file %temp%\wmsetup.log ? This should
>> have the result of the Indiv attempt that unregmp2 just tried for you.
>>
>> Zune is reliant upon the Windows Media DRM component working in order to
>> succeed. Since that is not working currently (as verified in WMP's menu
>> tool), Zune would be as blocked here as anyone else would be.
>>
>> --
>> Speaking for myself only.
>> rights.
>> --
>> "Carlo Razzeto" <crazzeto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> On hold with Zune tech support listening to some nifterific techno....
>>> Needless to say, that command didn't do the trick I am quite sad to say
>>>

>>> WMP returns no information (at all) for DRM Version or Indiv Version,
>>> there's no Indiv Level on the webpage which is generated. I tried
>>> visiting that webpage again just for the fun of it with the same result.
>>> Javascript error + disabled upgrade button. Anymore thoughts? I'll
>>> report back if the Zune techies come up with anything. Thanks for the
>>> help.
>>>
>>> Carlo

Carlo Razzeto

Re: Resetting vista DRM??
Finally found it, had to leave my computer searching for the file after
lunch........... here's the last few lines, I could attach the whole file if
that's PC with this groups rules and you think it's nesseary...

[*WMC Logging begun at 2008/04/29 - 20:29:01. Logging at level: '4'. OS is
NT. OSVer is 6.0.6001.0.18000. System Lang is 1033. Prev version system is
11.0.6001.7000. Setup version 11.0.6001.7000.]
Indiv returned '0xc00d278f'.
Current command line: '/PerformIndiv'.

[*WMC Logging begun at 2008/04/29 - 20:35:21. Logging at level: '4'. OS is
NT. OSVer is 6.0.6001.0.18000. System Lang is 1033. Prev version system is
11.0.6001.7000. Setup version 11.0.6001.7000.]
Current command line: '/?'.

[*WMC Logging begun at 2008/04/29 - 20:35:24. Logging at level: '4'. OS is
NT. OSVer is 6.0.6001.0.18000. System Lang is 1033. Prev version system is
11.0.6001.7000. Setup version 11.0.6001.7000.]
Current command line: '/help'.

[*WMC Logging begun at 2008/04/29 - 20:35:29. Logging at level: '4'. OS is
NT. OSVer is 6.0.6001.0.18000. System Lang is 1033. Prev version system is
11.0.6001.7000. Setup version 11.0.6001.7000.]
Current command line: ''.

[*WMC Logging begun at 2008/04/29 - 20:35:37. Logging at level: '4'. OS is
NT. OSVer is 6.0.6001.0.18000. System Lang is 1033. Prev version system is
11.0.6001.7000. Setup version 11.0.6001.7000.]
Indiv returned '0xc00d278f'.
Current command line: '/PerformIndiv'.

[*WMC Logging begun at 2008/04/30 - 00:04:12. Logging at level: '4'. OS is