Vista and VPN

Maurice

Vista and VPN
Presently working with Vista Ultimate and a Linksys WRT-54G ver 2 wireless
router. Linksys says that this device has pass through VPN and is not a VPN
router. Apparently, the device only allows port forwarding. I am new to
this and need guidance on what else must be done for one to connect to my
machine from other computers outside of my home. Is there anything in Vista
that would allow me to complete the VPN configuration? What else must be
done to complete the configuration? Guidance sought.
Rick Rogers

Re: Vista and VPN
Hi,

Configure the router so that you have port forwarding on 3389 to the
internal IP of the destination machine. This is all that is needed for
Remote Desktop. If you are using a third party VPN client, you will need to
consult that program's help files for the proper port.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Maurice" <Maurice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Presently working with Vista Ultimate and a Linksys WRT-54G ver 2 wireless
> router. Linksys says that this device has pass through VPN and is not a
> VPN
> router. Apparently, the device only allows port forwarding. I am new to
> this and need guidance on what else must be done for one to connect to my
> machine from other computers outside of my home. Is there anything in
> Vista
> that would allow me to complete the VPN configuration? What else must be
> done to complete the configuration? Guidance sought.

Kerry Brown

Re: Vista and VPN
What are you hoping to accomplish? A VPN connection allows someone outside
your network to connect to your network. This would allow you to access
shared network resources over the Internet. Is this what you are trying to
do? This isn't possible to set up with Vista as the end point for the VPN
connection. You would need Windows Server or a VPN router. If this isn't
what you are trying to do please provide more details.

I think maybe you are trying to set up a Remote Desktop Connection to your
computer. If this is the case what version of Vista do you have? Only Vista
Business or Ultimate can be the server for a RDP connection.

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/