Reinstalling an upgrade version on a new machine

PNRJR

Reinstalling an upgrade version on a new machine
Last year I bought the 64bit Upgrade version of Vista Ultimate.
Unfortunately, my mission critical software was incompatible with Vista and I
had to downgrade back to XP. I anticipate that the vendor will release a
version compatible with 64bit Vista in the next year. But by then I will
probably build a new system. My question: With a new XP license on a new
system can I then use that "Upgrade" version of Vista that I never used or am
I forced to buy a new licensed copy of Vista?
Mick Murphy

RE: Reinstalling an upgrade version on a new machine
Yes.
You will have to make sure that the new XP licence is for 64bit XP to use
your 64bit Ultimate upgrade disk!
There is no upgrade path for 32bit to 64bit.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"PNRJR" wrote:

> Last year I bought the 64bit Upgrade version of Vista Ultimate.
> Unfortunately, my mission critical software was incompatible with Vista and I
> had to downgrade back to XP. I anticipate that the vendor will release a
> version compatible with 64bit Vista in the next year. But by then I will
> probably build a new system. My question: With a new XP license on a new
> system can I then use that "Upgrade" version of Vista that I never used or am
> I forced to buy a new licensed copy of Vista?

PNRJR

RE: Reinstalling an upgrade version on a new machine
Thanks! Are you sure of the lack of 32 to 64 upgrade path? Last year, I
upgraded from Win XP 32 to Vista Ultimate 64. Upgrading from 32 to 64 could
not be done except through a "clean" install. You had to have Win XP 32
installed for the upgrade to proceed. It just didn't save any of the old data
on the new upgraded Vista 64 install.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Yes.
> You will have to make sure that the new XP licence is for 64bit XP to use
> your 64bit Ultimate upgrade disk!
> There is no upgrade path for 32bit to 64bit.
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>

> "PNRJR" wrote:
>
> > Last year I bought the 64bit Upgrade version of Vista Ultimate.
> > Unfortunately, my mission critical software was incompatible with Vista and I
> > had to downgrade back to XP. I anticipate that the vendor will release a
> > version compatible with 64bit Vista in the next year. But by then I will
> > probably build a new system. My question: With a new XP license on a new
> > system can I then use that "Upgrade" version of Vista that I never used or am
> > I forced to buy a new licensed copy of Vista?

DevilsPGD

Re: Reinstalling an upgrade version on a new machine
In message <E67D0699-3C7A-4C5D-9EDA-C9B316E1BD22@microsoft.com> PNRJR
<PNRJR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks! Are you sure of the lack of 32 to 64 upgrade path? Last year, I
>upgraded from Win XP 32 to Vista Ultimate 64. Upgrading from 32 to 64 could
>not be done except through a "clean" install. You had to have Win XP 32
>installed for the upgrade to proceed. It just didn't save any of the old data
>on the new upgraded Vista 64 install.

The answer depends on what you consider an upgrade path -- When changing
CPU architectures you need a "clean" install, meaning that existing
applications are not preserved as they would be in a true upgrade.
PNRJR

Re: Reinstalling an upgrade version on a new machine
Sorry, bad use of "clean" on my part. The Vista Ultimate 64 bit upgrade
version DID work its prior use one year ago from a Win XP Pro 32bit setting.
It just didn't let me keep my prior settings under XP 32 upon the upgrade to
Vista 64.
What I need to know is: The Vista Ultimate 64bit upgrade is not in use. It
is sitting in my closet because my software will not work in the 64bit
environment. If I build a new machine with a new WIN XP Pro 32bit OS can I
later use the Vista Ultimate 64bit upgrade on that new machine?

"DevilsPGD" wrote:

> In message <E67D0699-3C7A-4C5D-9EDA-C9B316E1BD22@microsoft.com> PNRJR
> <PNRJR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Thanks! Are you sure of the lack of 32 to 64 upgrade path? Last year, I
> >upgraded from Win XP 32 to Vista Ultimate 64. Upgrading from 32 to 64 could
> >not be done except through a "clean" install. You had to have Win XP 32
> >installed for the upgrade to proceed. It just didn't save any of the old data
> >on the new upgraded Vista 64 install.

> The answer depends on what you consider an upgrade path -- When changing
> CPU architectures you need a "clean" install, meaning that existing
> applications are not preserved as they would be in a true upgrade.

Noel

Re: Reinstalling an upgrade version on a new machine
Yes you can. If it is a retail version you can uninstall on one computer and
put it on another computer. It can be on any computer as long as it is just
one.
--
Quad Core

"PNRJR" wrote:

> Sorry, bad use of "clean" on my part. The Vista Ultimate 64 bit upgrade
> version DID work its prior use one year ago from a Win XP Pro 32bit setting.
> It just didn't let me keep my prior settings under XP 32 upon the upgrade to
> Vista 64.
> What I need to know is: The Vista Ultimate 64bit upgrade is not in use. It
> is sitting in my closet because my software will not work in the 64bit
> environment. If I build a new machine with a new WIN XP Pro 32bit OS can I
> later use the Vista Ultimate 64bit upgrade on that new machine?
>
> "DevilsPGD" wrote:
>
> > In message <E67D0699-3C7A-4C5D-9EDA-C9B316E1BD22@microsoft.com> PNRJR
> > <PNRJR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Thanks! Are you sure of the lack of 32 to 64 upgrade path? Last year, I
> > >upgraded from Win XP 32 to Vista Ultimate 64. Upgrading from 32 to 64 could
> > >not be done except through a "clean" install. You had to have Win XP 32
> > >installed for the upgrade to proceed. It just didn't save any of the old data
> > >on the new upgraded Vista 64 install.

> > The answer depends on what you consider an upgrade path -- When changing
> > CPU architectures you need a "clean" install, meaning that existing
> > applications are not preserved as they would be in a true upgrade.

Gary Mount

Re: Reinstalling an upgrade version on a new machine
If you can't activate via the internet, use the phone method.

In message <3523A544-9FB8-4548-B168-C3BC65FBDFE8@microsoft.com> PNRJR
<PNRJR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Sorry, bad use of "clean" on my part.

For the record, I didn't mean to attack you on that point (if it came
across that I did), what I meant was probably "custom" rather then
"clean" (I avidly dislike the choice of "custom" in the installer)
Grey

Re: Reinstalling an upgrade version on a new machine
Disregarding 32 bit or 64 bit for a moment, I recently had to fresh install
my Vista Business (32 bit) upgrade which I originally used to upgrade XP Pro
to Vista last year. My motherboard blew and you cannot do a repair install
when the hardware changes so I had to fresh install. I clean installed from
the Vista upgrade disk. When I activated it took just fine. So you shouldn't
have a problem.