Restoring Vista boot

Dustin Harper

Re: Restoring Vista boot
When you boot from the Vista CD, it will have a "Startup Repair" option.
That will repair your boot sector, and give you the ability to boot to XP as
well.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

--
"Jack" <replyto@it> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I have dual boot system with WinXP installed on drive C and
> Vista installed on drive D.
> I am forced to reinstall my Windows XP from scratch.
> I am sure that after reinstalling WinXP I will loose the abilty to boot to
> Vista.
> Can I restore that boot somehow or I will have to reinstall Vista again?
> Is it something I can preserve from drive C to restore that boot?
> Your comments please,
> Jack

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=

Re: Restoring Vista boot
I'm having a similar problem with XP x64 and Vista 32-bit and this did not
work.

"Jack" wrote:

> I do not have Vista CD.
> I have RC2 ISO file and I installed it using virtual DVD.
> Will it work you way when I start that from within WinXP environment?
> Jack
>
> "Dustin Harper" <dharper@vistarip.com> wrote in message
> > When you boot from the Vista CD, it will have a "Startup Repair" option.
> > That will repair your boot sector, and give you the ability to boot to XP
> > as well.
> >
> > --
> > Dustin Harper
> > dharper@vistarip.com
> > http://www.vistarip.com
> >
> > --
> > "Jack" <replyto@it> wrote in message
> >> Hello,
> >> I have dual boot system with WinXP installed on drive C and
> >> Vista installed on drive D.
> >> I am forced to reinstall my Windows XP from scratch.
> >> I am sure that after reinstalling WinXP I will loose the abilty to boot
> >> to Vista.
> >> Can I restore that boot somehow or I will have to reinstall Vista again?
> >> Is it something I can preserve from drive C to restore that boot?
> >> Your comments please,
> >> Jack

Chad Harris

Re: Restoring Vista boot
Hello Jack--

I'm betting you have a very viable alternative to installing Win XP on C:\
from scratch. You did not tell us why you think you need to reinstall it,
but let's assume it's systemically trashed or has something you deem is
keeping you from using it properly--it could even be one component that
irritates you--I am only guessing because you didn't specify why.

However, I suggest that before you resort to formatting and reinstalling XP
you get your XP back to normal by doing
a repair install. We're talking a few minutes to set it up and then 32
minutes of the XP setup. That way you don't lose anything. The requirement
for this is an XP CD, which you must have if you were planning to format
and reinstall it.

If that doesn't work, and you format and reinstall XP, then if the dual boot
hasn't survived you can try putting in the Vista DVD and using either
Startup Repair from the Recovery link as Dustin suggests, or another
alternative if that doesn't work is to try a system restore from the same
link.

Repair Install XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ps/doug92.mspx

How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341 (Method 2 Booting from the XP CD)

You could also try F8 advanced options (4 Safe Modes--->system restore) and
LKG for Vista if nothing else worked first.

CH

"Jack" <replyto@it> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I have dual boot system with WinXP installed on drive C and
> Vista installed on drive D.
> I am forced to reinstall my Windows XP from scratch.
> I am sure that after reinstalling WinXP I will loose the abilty to boot to
> Vista.
> Can I restore that boot somehow or I will have to reinstall Vista again?
> Is it something I can preserve from drive C to restore that boot?
> Your comments please,
> Jack

Chad Harris

Re: Restoring Vista boot
We did not know you do not have a Vista DVD. If you have an XP CD, all the
more compelling reason to try to do a repair install using the links and
simple steps I put up for you.

Then tackle the problem of whether Vista boots using the F8 options, and you
also might get help from this:L

Vista Boot Pro
http://www.vistabootpro.org/

I don't understand what you mean here. Could you be clearer? When you
start what from the Win XP desktop? What do you mean by that? You mean
Virtual DVD?

Again do a repair install of XP and that may make your problem moot.

Good luck,

CH

>I do not have Vista CD.
> I have RC2 ISO file and I installed it using virtual DVD.
> Will it work you way when I start that from within WinXP environment?
> Jack
>
> "Dustin Harper" <dharper@vistarip.com> wrote in message
>> When you boot from the Vista CD, it will have a "Startup Repair" option.
>> That will repair your boot sector, and give you the ability to boot to XP
>> as well.
>>
>> --
>> Dustin Harper
>> dharper@vistarip.com
>> http://www.vistarip.com
>>
>> --
>> "Jack" <replyto@it> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>> I have dual boot system with WinXP installed on drive C and
>>> Vista installed on drive D.
>>> I am forced to reinstall my Windows XP from scratch.
>>> I am sure that after reinstalling WinXP I will loose the abilty to boot
>>> to Vista.
>>> Can I restore that boot somehow or I will have to reinstall Vista again?
>>> Is it something I can preserve from drive C to restore that boot?
>>> Your comments please,
>>> Jack

Michael Jennings

Re: Restoring Vista boot
The procedure here (scroll down to Install Windows XP):
http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=88231
is to install VistaBootPro in XP http://www.vistabootpro.org/
and correct things that way. Startup Repair isn't used.

something you will need to take care of about what XP sees:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/dualboot.html

"Jack" <replyto@it> wrote in message news:u$1wJg2ZHHA.4808@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>I do not have Vista CD.
> I have RC2 ISO file and I installed it using virtual DVD.
> Will it work you way when I start that from within WinXP environment?
> Jack
>
> "Dustin Harper" <dharper@vistarip.com> wrote in message
>> When you boot from the Vista CD, it will have a "Startup Repair" option.
>> That will repair your boot sector, and give you the ability to boot to XP
>> as well.
>>
>> --
>> Dustin Harper
>> dharper@vistarip.com
>> http://www.vistarip.com
>>
>> --
>> "Jack" <replyto@it> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>> I have dual boot system with WinXP installed on drive C and
>>> Vista installed on drive D.
>>> I am forced to reinstall my Windows XP from scratch.
>>> I am sure that after reinstalling WinXP I will loose the abilty to boot
>>> to Vista.
>>> Can I restore that boot somehow or I will have to reinstall Vista again?
>>> Is it something I can preserve from drive C to restore that boot?
>>> Your comments please,
>>> Jack

Don

Re: Restoring Vista boot
Jack wrote:
> Hello,
> I have dual boot system with WinXP installed on drive C and Vista
> installed on drive D.
> I am forced to reinstall my Windows XP from scratch.

Are you sure?

> I am sure that after reinstalling WinXP I will lose the abilty to boot to
> Vista.

Correct.

> Can I restore that boot somehow or I will have to reinstall Vista again?

The Vista install DVD has a repair/recovery section which will let you
reinstall/repair just the Vista boot manager. That's what you will
need.

Michael Jennings

Re: Restoring Vista boot
VistaBootPro requires the .net 2.0 framework to run in WinXP.
Others have followed those instructions and succeeded.

"Jack" <replyto@it> wrote in message news:O029At2ZHHA.1220@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>I have to reinstall my WinXP from scratch not to repair it.
> The question remains:
> Can I use that Vista boot repair utility from within WinXP environment just
> by starting Vista install program from within it?
> Jack

Jack

Re: Restoring Vista boot
I do not have Vista CD.
I have RC2 ISO file and I installed it using virtual DVD.
Will it work you way when I start that from within WinXP environment?
Jack

"Dustin Harper" <dharper@vistarip.com> wrote in message
> When you boot from the Vista CD, it will have a "Startup Repair" option.
> That will repair your boot sector, and give you the ability to boot to XP
> as well.
>
> --
> Dustin Harper
> dharper@vistarip.com
> http://www.vistarip.com
>
> --
> "Jack" <replyto@it> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>> I have dual boot system with WinXP installed on drive C and
>> Vista installed on drive D.
>> I am forced to reinstall my Windows XP from scratch.
>> I am sure that after reinstalling WinXP I will loose the abilty to boot
>> to Vista.
>> Can I restore that boot somehow or I will have to reinstall Vista again?
>> Is it something I can preserve from drive C to restore that boot?
>> Your comments please,
>> Jack

Jack

Re: Restoring Vista boot