Sorry - Originally posted in the wrong forum.

Telexx

Sorry - Originally posted in the wrong forum.
I've been working with these machines since 1994, and I have never seen such
an anomalie.

Usually, I would build my own machine, but I was lazy and bought a Dell XPS
410. It came with Vista Home Premium.

Now, I find myself needing to get on a test domain, so I downloaded the x86
Vista Ultimate SP1 DVD iso. Burned it and tried to boot from it. All I get is
a black screen with a flashing cursor in the top-left corner.

If I take the same exact disc and put it in the server I built, it works
just fine. But if I take the restore disc for this Dell XPS 410, it can boot
up with it, and a different Vista disc as well.

I call Dell, and sure enough, I go through 3 techs, and finally they point
me back at Microsoft. Hmmm, I *think* this issue has *something* to do with
their proprietary SATA (EISA) drive configuration, or lack of non-OEM OS boot
disk support, but these are just guesses.

Can anyone put an end to my nightmare?? Please!?

--
In the middle of testing Windows 2008/Vista SP1.
Malke

Re: Sorry - Originally posted in the wrong forum.
Telexx wrote:

> I've been working with these machines since 1994, and I have never seen
> such an anomalie.
>
> Usually, I would build my own machine, but I was lazy and bought a Dell
> XPS 410. It came with Vista Home Premium.
>
> Now, I find myself needing to get on a test domain, so I downloaded the
> x86 Vista Ultimate SP1 DVD iso. Burned it and tried to boot from it. All I
> get is a black screen with a flashing cursor in the top-left corner.
>
> If I take the same exact disc and put it in the server I built, it works
> just fine. But if I take the restore disc for this Dell XPS 410, it can
> boot up with it, and a different Vista disc as well.
>
> I call Dell, and sure enough, I go through 3 techs, and finally they point
> me back at Microsoft. Hmmm, I *think* this issue has *something* to do
> with their proprietary SATA (EISA) drive configuration, or lack of non-OEM
> OS boot disk support, but these are just guesses.
>
> Can anyone put an end to my nightmare?? Please!?

I don't think this has anything to do with Dell's partitioning scheme since
I have no problems booting Dells with various CD/DVDs I've made with all
sorts of operating systems on them (Linux, Vista, XP, Bart's, etc.),
including DVDs made from MSDN/Technet .isos. It doesn't matter what model
Dell and it doesn't matter if the optical drives are SATA or IDE.

Things to try:

1. Check your boot order. You can press F12 to get a temporary boot priority
menu or F2 for the BIOS setup.

2. If you have two optical drives, try putting your boot DVD into the other
drive.

3. Burn another disk from your .iso at a slower speed and possibly on
different media.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
philo

"Telexx" <Telexx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been working with these machines since 1994, and I have never seen

such
> an anomalie.
>
> Usually, I would build my own machine, but I was lazy and bought a Dell

XPS
> 410. It came with Vista Home Premium.
>
> Now, I find myself needing to get on a test domain, so I downloaded the

x86
> Vista Ultimate SP1 DVD iso. Burned it and tried to boot from it. All I get

is
> a black screen with a flashing cursor in the top-left corner.
>
> If I take the same exact disc and put it in the server I built, it works
> just fine. But if I take the restore disc for this Dell XPS 410, it can

boot
> up with it, and a different Vista disc as well.
>
> I call Dell, and sure enough, I go through 3 techs, and finally they point
> me back at Microsoft. Hmmm, I *think* this issue has *something* to do

with
> their proprietary SATA (EISA) drive configuration, or lack of non-OEM OS

boot
> disk support, but these are just guesses.
>
> Can anyone put an end to my nightmare?? Please!?

Swap the DVD drives between your Dell and the server to isolate where the
problem lies

Telexx

Re: Sorry - Originally posted in the wrong forum.

> Things to try:
>
> 1. Check your boot order. You can press F12 to get a temporary boot priority
> menu or F2 for the BIOS setup.
>
> 2. If you have two optical drives, try putting your boot DVD into the other
> drive.
>
> 3. Burn another disk from your .iso at a slower speed and possibly on
> different media.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> Don't Panic!

Thanks for writing:

1. Checked and verified - not the issue...

2. Going to try a different drive soon on the same machine.. good idea..

3. Tried, and still have the same failure.
DellCA

Re: Sorry - Originally posted in the wrong forum.

Dell uses industry standard SATA connections on all of our computers.
From what you describe I'm not sure what the problem is, but I would
also suggest trying different media to see if that makes a difference.

The first thing that comes to mind is what flavor of DVD did you burn,
and what flavor of DVD drive does your system have (i.e., what type of
disks can it read)? Most of the drives from are DVD+/-R so either type
of DVD (+ or -) should work, but the exact type you used might be making
a difference.

Assuming the disk itself isn't the problem (which, based on what you've
posted, it probably isn't) what shows up on the monitor when you boot
the computer with the disk in? I know it gets to the blank screen with
cursor, but does it show anything else before then? What happens if you
boot without the disk in the drive?

Larry
Dell Customer Advocate

--
DellCA
DellCA's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=20193

http://forums.techarena.in

Telexx

"DellCA" wrote:

> Dell uses industry standard SATA connections on all of our computers.
> From what you describe I'm not sure what the problem is, but I would
> also suggest trying different media to see if that makes a difference.
>
> The first thing that comes to mind is what flavor of DVD did you burn,
> and what flavor of DVD drive does your system have (i.e., what type of
> disks can it read)? Most of the drives from are DVD+/-R so either type
> of DVD (+ or -) should work, but the exact type you used might be making
> a difference.
>
> Assuming the disk itself isn't the problem (which, based on what you've
> posted, it probably isn't) what shows up on the monitor when you boot
> the computer with the disk in? I know it gets to the blank screen with
> cursor, but does it show anything else before then? What happens if you
> boot without the disk in the drive?
>
> Larry
> Dell Customer Advocate

An external DVD drive boots the iso correctly, (thanks Malke), and I now
have a different issue altogether I'll post later lol...

I contacted Dell for a 4th time, and they recommended to flash the BIOS and
DVD firmware before they will offer me a replacement drive. Since the BIOS is
already at the present version, I will proceed to look at the firmware for
the drive. If that is current as well, then I will call them again for a
replacement. Basically, the problem is that the drive will let you boot
certain OS CDs/DVDs, and not others. Unfortunately, it is not a consistent
problem.
DellCA

Telexx;3705157 Wrote:
> "DellCA" wrote:
>

> > Dell uses industry standard SATA connections on all of our

> computers.
> > From what you describe I'm not sure what the problem is, but I would
> > also suggest trying different media to see if that makes a

> difference.
> >
> > The first thing that comes to mind is what flavor of DVD did you

> burn,
> > and what flavor of DVD drive does your system have (i.e., what type

> of
> > disks can it read)? Most of the drives from are DVD+/-R so either

> type
> > of DVD (+ or -) should work, but the exact type you used might be

> making
> > a difference.
> >
> > Assuming the disk itself isn't the problem (which, based on what

> you've
> > posted, it probably isn't) what shows up on the monitor when you

> boot
> > the computer with the disk in? I know it gets to the blank screen

> with
> > cursor, but does it show anything else before then? What happens if

> you
> > boot without the disk in the drive?
> >
> > Larry
> > Dell Customer Advocate
> >

> An external DVD drive boots the iso correctly, (thanks Malke), and I
> now
> have a different issue altogether I'll post later lol...
>
> I contacted Dell for a 4th time, and they recommended to flash the BIOS
> and
> DVD firmware before they will offer me a replacement drive. Since the
> BIOS is
> already at the present version, I will proceed to look at the firmware
> for
> the drive. If that is current as well, then I will call them again for
> replacement. Basically, the problem is that the drive will let you
> boot
> certain OS CDs/DVDs, and not others. Unfortunately, it is not a
> consistent
> problem.

Does the drive have problems with other store bought disks (not ones
you have burned) as well as ones you have burned yourself? If it does,
then I would say it is probably the drive. If it only has a problem
with disks you have burned then I would be more inclined to think the
problem is with the type of DVDs you used for writing.

Larry
Dell Customer Advocate