entered wrong (cheaper) version of windows and now can't activate.

rjc

entered wrong (cheaper) version of windows and now can't activate.
I did a clean install of a windows upgrade. I told it I was using windows
vista home premium, what I thought I was getting. It turns out it was really
ultimate, so now when I try to activate it wont let me. Can I change it to
ultimate without losing everything I've installed so far?
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: entered wrong (cheaper) version of windows and now can't activate.
Do you have a product key for Vista Home Premium
or Vista Ultimate? What exactly do you mean by
"I told it I was using windows vista home premium"?

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"rjc" wrote:

I did a clean install of a windows upgrade. I told it I was using windows
vista home premium, what I thought I was getting. It turns out it was really
ultimate, so now when I try to activate it wont let me. Can I change it to
ultimate without losing everything I've installed so far?
rjc

Re: entered wrong (cheaper) version of windows and now can't activ
I have a product key for ultimate - the package came in the mail (disks and
all). I did a trial install - without a product key. There's a screen that
asks you which product you want to intall - premium, ultimate, etc. I chose
premium. So I had 30 days to activate. When I typed in the product key to
activate I got a message that it was the wrong version.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Do you have a product key for Vista Home Premium
> or Vista Ultimate? What exactly do you mean by
> "I told it I was using windows vista home premium"?
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Desktop Experience -
> Windows Vista Enthusiast

> "rjc" wrote:
>
> I did a clean install of a windows upgrade. I told it I was using windows
> vista home premium, what I thought I was getting. It turns out it was really
> ultimate, so now when I try to activate it wont let me. Can I change it to
> ultimate without losing everything I've installed so far?

PaulM

Re: entered wrong (cheaper) version of windows and now can't activ
If you had a key for Ultimate, why would you try Premium??? Did you check
the key really well? Like an O could be a 0, check it real well.

www.paulsxp.com
www.paulsxp.com/forum

"rjc" <rjc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a product key for ultimate - the package came in the mail (disks
> and
> all). I did a trial install - without a product key. There's a screen
> that
> asks you which product you want to intall - premium, ultimate, etc. I
> chose
> premium. So I had 30 days to activate. When I typed in the product key
> activate I got a message that it was the wrong version.
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Do you have a product key for Vista Home Premium
>> or Vista Ultimate? What exactly do you mean by
>> "I told it I was using windows vista home premium"?
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Desktop Experience -
>> Windows Vista Enthusiast

>> "rjc" wrote:
>>
>> I did a clean install of a windows upgrade. I told it I was using
>> windows
>> vista home premium, what I thought I was getting. It turns out it was
>> really
>> ultimate, so now when I try to activate it wont let me. Can I change it
>> ultimate without losing everything I've installed so far?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: entered wrong (cheaper) version of windows and now can't activate.
You'll need to purchase a "full version" license
for Windows Vista Home Premium.

--

"rjc" <rjc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5F2CDF16-75F8-4DD5-A658-195F1F2CD6A3@microsoft.com...
I did a clean install of a windows upgrade. I told it I was using windows
vista home premium, what I thought I was getting. It turns out it was really
ultimate, so now when I try to activate it wont let me. Can I change it to
ultimate without losing everything I've installed so far?
Mick Murphy

Re: entered wrong (cheaper) version of windows and now can't activ
All Vista versions are on the one disk!
But, you have installed the wrong one.
Your PK is for Ultimate, not Home Premium.

If it was me, I'd save my Data, and reinstall the correct version, Ultimate.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"rjc" wrote:

> I have a product key for ultimate - the package came in the mail (disks and
> all). I did a trial install - without a product key. There's a screen that
> asks you which product you want to intall - premium, ultimate, etc. I chose
> premium. So I had 30 days to activate. When I typed in the product key to
> activate I got a message that it was the wrong version.
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Do you have a product key for Vista Home Premium
> > or Vista Ultimate? What exactly do you mean by
> > "I told it I was using windows vista home premium"?
> >
> > --
> > Carey Frisch
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows Desktop Experience -
> > Windows Vista Enthusiast

> > "rjc" wrote:
> >
> > I did a clean install of a windows upgrade. I told it I was using windows
> > vista home premium, what I thought I was getting. It turns out it was really
> > ultimate, so now when I try to activate it wont let me. Can I change it to
> > ultimate without losing everything I've installed so far?

rjc

Re: entered wrong (cheaper) version of windows and now can't activ
Why would I do that when I've already purchased the ultimate upgrade and had
xp on the hard drive before the os got corrupted? Surely there's some way to
change it to ultimate without having to reinstall everything.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> You'll need to purchase a "full version" license
> for Windows Vista Home Premium.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Desktop Experience -
> Windows Vista Enthusiast

> "rjc" <rjc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5F2CDF16-75F8-4DD5-A658-195F1F2CD6A3@microsoft.com...
> I did a clean install of a windows upgrade. I told it I was using windows
> vista home premium, what I thought I was getting. It turns out it was really
> ultimate, so now when I try to activate it wont let me. Can I change it to
> ultimate without losing everything I've installed so far?

Richard G. Harper

Re: entered wrong (cheaper) version of windows and now can't activ
No, there is not. That is why you are cautioned to select the exact version
of Vista you have purchased and that wiping and starting over or purchasing
the correct version may be necessary when you decline to enter the product
key during installation.

> Why would I do that when I've already purchased the ultimate upgrade and
> had
> xp on the hard drive before the os got corrupted? Surely there's some way
> change it to ultimate without having to reinstall everything.

Curious

Re: entered wrong (cheaper) version of windows and now can't activ
I suggest that you rerun your ultimate upgrade on the installed premium
version and enter the ultimate key and hopefully it will upgrade premium to
ultimate without destroying any of your data.

"rjc" <rjc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Why would I do that when I've already purchased the ultimate upgrade and
> had
> xp on the hard drive before the os got corrupted? Surely there's some way
> change it to ultimate without having to reinstall everything.
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> You'll need to purchase a "full version" license
>> for Windows Vista Home Premium.
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Desktop Experience -
>> Windows Vista Enthusiast

>> "rjc" <rjc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I did a clean install of a windows upgrade. I told it I was using
>> windows
>> vista home premium, what I thought I was getting. It turns out it was
>> really
>> ultimate, so now when I try to activate it wont let me. Can I change it
>> ultimate without losing everything I've installed so far?

rjc

Re: entered wrong (cheaper) version of windows and now can't activ
OK, Thanks everyone. Curious, that's what I was going to try but I was
hoping there was a fail-safe way. After a few hous setting things up I was
hoping I could avoid having to redo everything.