Vista will boot up without the 1920 x 1200 resolution available

liketofindoutwhy

Vista will boot up without the 1920 x 1200 resolution available
I have 2 Vista machines on the same KVM switch (Keyboard Video Mouse
switch), so that I can use up to 4 computers with 1 set of keyboard,
mouse, and LCD monitor.

On one Vista machine which is a year old, it will boot to 1920 x 1200
resolution every time, even when I am looking at other machines during
that boot up. However, on the newer Vista machine, I must switch to
it and sit there, wait for it to boot to high resolution. If I don't
sit there and wait, and instead switch to using other computers, then
it will boot to 1280 x 720 only. The aspect ratio is off a little
bit, and what's more, when I try to set the resolution manually, the
max available is 1280 x 720.

In other words, this newer machine won't boot to 1920 x 1200 every
time, unless I sit there and wait for it to boot up to the high
resolution screen.

Any solution to it... if anybody knows? Thanks very much!

JW

Re: Vista will boot up without the 1920 x 1200 resolution available
The problem is most likely caused by the graphics card in your new Vista
computer.
Do you have the latest driver from the manufacturer of the graphics card
chip used in your new Vista machine installed?
"liketofindoutwhy" <liketofindoutwhy@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have 2 Vista machines on the same KVM switch (Keyboard Video Mouse
> switch), so that I can use up to 4 computers with 1 set of keyboard,
> mouse, and LCD monitor.
>
> On one Vista machine which is a year old, it will boot to 1920 x 1200
> resolution every time, even when I am looking at other machines during
> that boot up. However, on the newer Vista machine, I must switch to
> it and sit there, wait for it to boot to high resolution. If I don't
> sit there and wait, and instead switch to using other computers, then
> it will boot to 1280 x 720 only. The aspect ratio is off a little
> bit, and what's more, when I try to set the resolution manually, the
> max available is 1280 x 720.
>
> In other words, this newer machine won't boot to 1920 x 1200 every
> time, unless I sit there and wait for it to boot up to the high
> resolution screen.
>
> Any solution to it... if anybody knows? Thanks very much!

Colon Terminus

"JW" <JW@nospam.nspam> wrote in message
> The problem is most likely caused by the graphics card in your new Vista
> computer.
> Do you have the latest driver from the manufacturer of the graphics card
> chip used in your new Vista machine installed?
> "liketofindoutwhy" <liketofindoutwhy@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have 2 Vista machines on the same KVM switch (Keyboard Video Mouse
>> switch), so that I can use up to 4 computers with 1 set of keyboard,
>> mouse, and LCD monitor.
>>
>> On one Vista machine which is a year old, it will boot to 1920 x 1200
>> resolution every time, even when I am looking at other machines during
>> that boot up. However, on the newer Vista machine, I must switch to
>> it and sit there, wait for it to boot to high resolution. If I don't
>> sit there and wait, and instead switch to using other computers, then
>> it will boot to 1280 x 720 only. The aspect ratio is off a little
>> bit, and what's more, when I try to set the resolution manually, the
>> max available is 1280 x 720.
>>
>> In other words, this newer machine won't boot to 1920 x 1200 every
>> time, unless I sit there and wait for it to boot up to the high
>> resolution screen.
>>
>> Any solution to it... if anybody knows? Thanks very much!

As JW mentioned this ain't a Vista problem, it's a video card/driver
problem.
I've seen this many times over with ATI based graphics cards.

PvdG42

"Colon Terminus" <colon_terminus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:4812033a$0$1580$b9f67a60@news.newsdemon.com.. .
> "JW" <JW@nospam.nspam> wrote in message
>> The problem is most likely caused by the graphics card in your new Vista
>> computer.
>> Do you have the latest driver from the manufacturer of the graphics card
>> chip used in your new Vista machine installed?
>> "liketofindoutwhy" <liketofindoutwhy@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I have 2 Vista machines on the same KVM switch (Keyboard Video Mouse
>>> switch), so that I can use up to 4 computers with 1 set of keyboard,
>>> mouse, and LCD monitor.
>>>
>>> On one Vista machine which is a year old, it will boot to 1920 x 1200
>>> resolution every time, even when I am looking at other machines during
>>> that boot up. However, on the newer Vista machine, I must switch to
>>> it and sit there, wait for it to boot to high resolution. If I don't
>>> sit there and wait, and instead switch to using other computers, then
>>> it will boot to 1280 x 720 only. The aspect ratio is off a little
>>> bit, and what's more, when I try to set the resolution manually, the
>>> max available is 1280 x 720.
>>>
>>> In other words, this newer machine won't boot to 1920 x 1200 every
>>> time, unless I sit there and wait for it to boot up to the high
>>> resolution screen.
>>>
>>> Any solution to it... if anybody knows? Thanks very much!
>>>

> As JW mentioned this ain't a Vista problem, it's a video card/driver
> problem.
> I've seen this many times over with ATI based graphics cards.

And with NVIDIA cards as well. I have 4 PC's on a KVM, using various NVIDIA
cards from the 6000 series through the 8000 series. Two running Vista and
two running XP. Since I got a 22" widescreen monitor, 1680x1050, not one of
the PC's will use that resolution unless the KVM is switched to that machine
during boot. I was told that the issue is that 1680x1050 is not a "native"
resolution for the graphics cards, and that some sort of communication takes
place between the video drivers and the monitor during boot to permit the
optimum display. Sorry, I don't have technical details.

liketofindoutwhy

On Apr 25, 8:37 pm, "PvdG42" <p...@toadstool.edu> wrote:

> And with NVIDIA cards as well. I have 4 PC's on a KVM, using various NVIDIA
> cards from the 6000 series through the 8000 series. Two running Vista and
> two running XP. Since I got a 22" widescreen monitor, 1680x1050, not one of
> the PC's will use that resolution unless the KVM is switched to that machine
> during boot. I was told that the issue is that 1680x1050 is not a "native"
> resolution for the graphics cards, and that some sort of communication takes
> place between the video drivers and the monitor during boot to permit the
> optimum display. Sorry, I don't have technical details.

would be nice if we can hardcode the resolution to the machine if
needed huh? maybe it is possible... in some hacking windows book.
JW

Re: Vista will boot up without the 1920 x 1200 resolution available
Yes 1680x1050 is not a standard resolution according to the NVIDIA driver
release notes It is listed as a Non-standard but supported mode.
You possibly can use the custom resolution option in the Current NVIDIA Beta
drivers at their website to make it stick as suggested to above.
> On Apr 25, 8:37 pm, "PvdG42" <p...@toadstool.edu> wrote:
>
>> And with NVIDIA cards as well. I have 4 PC's on a KVM, using various
>> NVIDIA
>> cards from the 6000 series through the 8000 series. Two running Vista and
>> two running XP. Since I got a 22" widescreen monitor, 1680x1050, not one
>> of
>> the PC's will use that resolution unless the KVM is switched to that
>> machine
>> during boot. I was told that the issue is that 1680x1050 is not a
>> "native"
>> resolution for the graphics cards, and that some sort of communication
>> takes
>> place between the video drivers and the monitor during boot to permit the
>> optimum display. Sorry, I don't have technical details.

> would be nice if we can hardcode the resolution to the machine if
> needed huh? maybe it is possible... in some hacking windows book.

Basher Bates

Re: Vista will boot up without the 1920 x 1200 resolution availabl
I have a very similar problem:

Brand new PC: installed with Vista Ultimate SP1.
Graphics card: nVidea 8600GT with absolute latest drivers (July 2008)
installed.
Monitor: 22" widescreen LCD with native resolution 1680 x 1050.

At boot-up and if screen resolution changed by a program (such as a
screensaver) the display reverts to 1600 x 1200 every time getting a large
blue "Out of Range" warning in the middle of the screen. I can reset it to
1680 x 1050 by right-clicking and using the nVidea setup to restore the
proper resolution. It only takes a few clicks but is, nevertheless,
annoying.

My questions:- 1. Why does Vista insist on reverting to the "out of range"
resolution, when there is a perfectly acceptable driver (non Microsoft)
installed?
2. Is there any way I can make the nVidea driver take precedence?

Ken B

"JW" wrote:

> Yes 1680x1050 is not a standard resolution according to the NVIDIA driver
> release notes It is listed as a Non-standard but supported mode.
> You possibly can use the custom resolution option in the Current NVIDIA Beta
> drivers at their website to make it stick as suggested to above.
> "liketofindoutwhy" <liketofindoutwhy@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > On Apr 25, 8:37 pm, "PvdG42" <p...@toadstool.edu> wrote:
> >
> >> And with NVIDIA cards as well. I have 4 PC's on a KVM, using various
> >> NVIDIA
> >> cards from the 6000 series through the 8000 series. Two running Vista and
> >> two running XP. Since I got a 22" widescreen monitor, 1680x1050, not one
> >> of
> >> the PC's will use that resolution unless the KVM is switched to that
> >> machine
> >> during boot. I was told that the issue is that 1680x1050 is not a
> >> "native"
> >> resolution for the graphics cards, and that some sort of communication
> >> takes
> >> place between the video drivers and the monitor during boot to permit the
> >> optimum display. Sorry, I don't have technical details.

> > would be nice if we can hardcode the resolution to the machine if
> > needed huh? maybe it is possible... in some hacking windows book.

Curious

Re: Vista will boot up without the 1920 x 1200 resolution availabl
The Nvidia drivers do not support 1920x1080p60. They only support 1080i/60
Since your 22" LCD display like mine is 1680x1050 there is no reason to try
and send it any other resolution,
I have no trouble sending 1680x1050 to my 22" LCD display over either VGA or
DVI from my 8500GT card using the Nvidia drivers on my Vista HP system.
My screen saver does not change my desktop resolution. Are you using the
standard Vista screen saver or do you have a special program?
"Basher Bates" <BasherBates@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a very similar problem:
>
> Brand new PC: installed with Vista Ultimate SP1.
> Graphics card: nVidea 8600GT with absolute latest drivers (July 2008)
> installed.
> Monitor: 22" widescreen LCD with native resolution 1680 x 1050.
>
> At boot-up and if screen resolution changed by a program (such as a
> screensaver) the display reverts to 1600 x 1200 every time getting a large
> blue "Out of Range" warning in the middle of the screen. I can reset it
> 1680 x 1050 by right-clicking and using the nVidea setup to restore the
> proper resolution. It only takes a few clicks but is, nevertheless,
> annoying.
>
> My questions:- 1. Why does Vista insist on reverting to the "out of
> range"
> resolution, when there is a perfectly acceptable driver (non Microsoft)
> installed?
> 2. Is there any way I can make the nVidea driver take precedence?
>
> Ken B
>
> "JW" wrote:
>
>> Yes 1680x1050 is not a standard resolution according to the NVIDIA driver
>> release notes It is listed as a Non-standard but supported mode.
>> You possibly can use the custom resolution option in the Current NVIDIA
>> Beta
>> drivers at their website to make it stick as suggested to above.
>> "liketofindoutwhy" <liketofindoutwhy@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > would be nice if we can hardcode the resolution to the machine if
>> > needed huh? maybe it is possible... in some hacking windows book.

Phillips

Re: Vista will boot up without the 1920 x 1200 resolution availabl
Do you have a monitor driver or just the default MS one? Check in display
Settings/Advanced/Monitor that the right frequency (59-60Hz) is selected -
pending you have a PnP or unPnP monitor.
Michael

"Curious" <spammenot@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> The Nvidia drivers do not support 1920x1080p60. They only support 1080i/60
> Since your 22" LCD display like mine is 1680x1050 there is no reason to
> try and send it any other resolution,
> I have no trouble sending 1680x1050 to my 22" LCD display over either VGA
> or DVI from my 8500GT card using the Nvidia drivers on my Vista HP system.
> My screen saver does not change my desktop resolution. Are you using the
> standard Vista screen saver or do you have a special program?
> "Basher Bates" <BasherBates@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have a very similar problem:
>>
>> Brand new PC: installed with Vista Ultimate SP1.
>> Graphics card: nVidea 8600GT with absolute latest drivers (July 2008)
>> installed.
>> Monitor: 22" widescreen LCD with native resolution 1680 x 1050.
>>
>> At boot-up and if screen resolution changed by a program (such as a
>> screensaver) the display reverts to 1600 x 1200 every time getting a
>> large
>> blue "Out of Range" warning in the middle of the screen. I can reset it
>> 1680 x 1050 by right-clicking and using the nVidea setup to restore the
>> proper resolution. It only takes a few clicks but is, nevertheless,
>> annoying.
>>
>> My questions:- 1. Why does Vista insist on reverting to the "out of
>> range"
>> resolution, when there is a perfectly acceptable driver (non Microsoft)
>> installed?
>> 2. Is there any way I can make the nVidea driver take precedence?
>>
>> Ken B
>>
>> "JW" wrote:
>>
>>> Yes 1680x1050 is not a standard resolution according to the NVIDIA
>>> driver
>>> release notes It is listed as a Non-standard but supported mode.
>>> You possibly can use the custom resolution option in the Current NVIDIA
>>> Beta
>>> drivers at their website to make it stick as suggested to above.

Basher Bates

Re: Vista will boot up without the 1920 x 1200 resolution availabl
Hi, I don't know where the 1920x1080@ 60Hz came from... I would be very
happy, indeed, if I could get my desktop to default to the native resolution
of my VDU. I wonder if there was some special code written into the 8500GT
driver supplied by HP. My Yuraku 22" LCD is not recognised as pnp and it
did not come with any additional software. To answer your question, my
screensaver is a Google add-on and it might be worth it to revert to the one
which came with Vista. At the moment, I have reduced the problem by
extending the time before the screensaver cuts in. In any cse, I am not so
sure whether (for a home PC) a screensaver is really necessary, except when
using a CRT display.

Ken B