the once expired Vista likes to "churn" whole hard drive

liketofindoutwhy

the once expired Vista likes to "churn" whole hard drive
For some reason, after I upgraded from XP to Vista with my 1GB
machine, the first 30 days it worked nicely. But after it expired and
I didn't register, it start to like to "churn" the whole hard drive.
Looks like it is going through the whole hard drive looking for
something.

So I bought Vista and entered the product key into it, and afterwards,
it still like to churn the whole hard drive... I am not sure how long
the hard drive can last since every single day it will go through the
whole hard drive, looks like it is looking for a file, or it is
defragmenting the drive, but will intensive activities like that, it
is hard to say how long the drive can last...

any guys or MS folks have a solution? Thanks very much.

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: the once expired Vista likes to "churn" whole hard drive
"liketofindoutwhy" <liketofindoutwhy@gmail.com> wrote in message
> For some reason, after I upgraded from XP to Vista with my 1GB
> machine, the first 30 days it worked nicely. But after it expired and
> I didn't register, it start to like to "churn" the whole hard drive.
> Looks like it is going through the whole hard drive looking for
> something.
>
> So I bought Vista and entered the product key into it, and afterwards,
> it still like to churn the whole hard drive... I am not sure how long
> the hard drive can last since every single day it will go through the
> whole hard drive, looks like it is looking for a file, or it is
> defragmenting the drive, but will intensive activities like that, it
> is hard to say how long the drive can last...
>
> any guys or MS folks have a solution? Thanks very much.

There is no need to Register.
Did you Activate it? This is required.

Do a thorough check for malware, following all of the steps at one of these
Web pages.
Help with malware:
All MS-MVP Sites.
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
whose ads for malware don't identify the malware as such and try to convince
you that you owe it to the author. See also:
of.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

bp

"liketofindoutwhy" wrote:

> For some reason, after I upgraded from XP to Vista with my 1GB
> machine, the first 30 days it worked nicely. But after it expired and
> I didn't register, it start to like to "churn" the whole hard drive.
> Looks like it is going through the whole hard drive looking for
> something.
>
> So I bought Vista and entered the product key into it, and afterwards,
> it still like to churn the whole hard drive... I am not sure how long
> the hard drive can last since every single day it will go through the
> whole hard drive, looks like it is looking for a file, or it is
> defragmenting the drive, but will intensive activities like that, it
> is hard to say how long the drive can last...
>
> any guys or MS folks have a solution? Thanks very much.

Your drive will be just fine they are designed to be read from and written
to, it doesn't hurt them. They have about a 1,000,000 hour meantime failure
rate so you have plenty of time left even if it churns all day every day.

with that said
Vista is probably just doing it's initial indexing it will claim down in a
few days.
If not try make sure you don't have anti virus scanning you HD. You could
also go into reliability app and see what's hitting the HD. Yu can get to it
by bring up the task mamanger