Vista - error message and red X adminitrator icon

mischief3000

Vista - error message and red X adminitrator icon
hi there,

I'm new herre , and i got a problem with my vista settings

1st - when i tried to install games or software..it always came with an
error message

Setup has experienced an error.
Please do the following:
-Close any running programs
-Empty your temp folder
-Check your Internet connection (Internet-based Setup)
Then try to run the setup again.

Error code: -6002 - 6

when i tried to delete C:\Program Files\Common
Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime or C:\Program Files\Common
Files\InstallShield\Engine, it keep asking "You need permission to perform
this action" even tho im the only administrator on this pc

even tho i tried to turn on and off(UAC) still no change

when i right click on Program files>properties>click security tab> under
group or user name>it show red X administrator icon but no red X on
administrators icon(picture of 2 users)

when i looked from different folder such as Windows folder, it didnt show
administrator icon only administrators icon(picture of 2 users)

i don't know how to resolve this problem...if anyone can help me ill be happy
Rick Rogers

Re: Vista - error message and red X adminitrator icon
Hi,

As a matter of explanation, "administrator" is a user account, whereas
"administrators" is a user group. The red X indicates that the adminstrator
account is not currently active. It doesn't need to be, as any member of the
administrators group can perform the same function.

Try right clicking the setup icon for the program your are trying to
install, choose "run as administrator".

As to the Program Files directories, those are protected system files and
should not be deleted. Access to manipulating them requires a level of
elevation, even if you are using an administrator account.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"mischief3000" <mischief3000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi there,
>
> I'm new herre , and i got a problem with my vista settings
>
> 1st - when i tried to install games or software..it always came with an
> error message
>
> Setup has experienced an error.
> Please do the following:
> -Close any running programs
> -Empty your temp folder
> -Check your Internet connection (Internet-based Setup)
> Then try to run the setup again.
>
> Error code: -6002 - 6
>
> when i tried to delete C:\Program Files\Common
> Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime or C:\Program Files\Common
> Files\InstallShield\Engine, it keep asking "You need permission to perform
> this action" even tho im the only administrator on this pc
>
> even tho i tried to turn on and off(UAC) still no change
>
> when i right click on Program files>properties>click security tab> under
> group or user name>it show red X administrator icon but no red X on
> administrators icon(picture of 2 users)
>
> when i looked from different folder such as Windows folder, it didnt show
> administrator icon only administrators icon(picture of 2 users)
>

> i don't know how to resolve this problem...if anyone can help me ill be
> happy

mischief3000

Re: Vista - error message and red X adminitrator icon
thank for the reply,

i still got the same problem, keep asking "Setup has experienced an error"
even tho "run as administrator", it so weird it just started this recently, i
got no problem everytime i installed new software or games,

my gf laptop run perfectly when she tried to install the game

and how can i active the administrator?maybe that might help, im not sure