Vista Ultimate Install Problem On New System

kahall

Vista Ultimate Install Problem On New System
I have built a few PC’s over the years for myself and others without
problems. It has been a while and this is my first attempt at installing
Vista (Ultimate) after the pieces are assembled.
Everything looks good as far as at boot up, all hardware recognized and
correctly listed. I boot of off the Windows DVD and proceed to install with
the BIOS in fail safe default mode. The first thing I notice is the screen
jumps around and rolls like an old TV I used to have while the text on screen
is displayed, "Windows is loading files." It also does the rolling jumping
around if I go to the windows boot menu (after the failed install). Once
setup goes the more of a GUI look the rolling stops and all appears to be
fine. I choose to install on the only drive in the system, format it (which
only takes seconds. Is that normal?) The next problem is during the last step
of the install (Completing Installation) I get the message "Windows setup
could not configure Windows to run on this computers hardware. Then I am
basically stuck in that loop and I am unable to complete the install. I have
disabled/enabled various items in the BIOS, unplugged the unnecessary extra
USB and IEEE ports, removed a stick of RAM but nothing is working so far.
Just for the heck of it I did an XP install on it and it went flawlessly but
I did not purchase a license to run XP on this new PC. I want to give Vista a
go.
Here is the parts list on this new PC. I need some advice as I am pretty
sure my hardware is ok and it all states it is Vista compatible.

Memory - Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2
6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Motherboard- MB MSI P6N SLI PLATINUM NF650ISLI
MSI P6N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

DVD Drive-DVD BURN SAMSUNG|SH-S203N SATA

Video Card-VGA XFX PVT84JUDD3 8600GT 256MB R
XFX PVT84JUDD3 GeForce 8600GT XXX 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI
Supported Video Card

Power supply - CPU INTEL|C2D E6850 3G 65N 4M R
W0070RUC 430W RTL

MS WIN VISTA ULTIMAT SP1 32BIT

kahall

RE: Vista Ultimate Install Problem On New System
Turns out to have been a bad hard drive. I still have other problems but
Vista loaded on new drive.