Windows Vista 64 Ultimate SP update

Rob I

Windows Vista 64 Ultimate SP update

I need to update my Windows Vista 64bit Ultimate and I know they are
working on adding it to the automatic updates but I can not wait as I need to
add in memory and it will not see anything over 2gb with out SP1. I went to
Microsoft's website and found this but not sure this is correct so I wanted
to make 100% sure this is the correct update for me and my software as there
are several version of Vista out.

Thanks
Mike Brannigan

Re: Windows Vista 64 Ultimate SP update
"Rob I" <RobI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I need to update my Windows Vista 64bit Ultimate and I know they are
> working on adding it to the automatic updates but I can not wait as I need
> add in memory and it will not see anything over 2gb with out SP1. I went
> Microsoft's website and found this but not sure this is correct so I
> wanted
> to make 100% sure this is the correct update for me and my software as
> there
> are several version of Vista out.

> Thanks

Yes that is the correct one.
I can only assume that it is specific to you system that you cannot see more
then 2GB of memory as my x64 systems are happily running and using both 4
and 8GB of memory.
Are you sure SP1 will fix your problem?
Also SP1 is already on Windows Update for both x86 adn x64 systems.

--

Mike Brannigan

Rob I

Re: Windows Vista 64 Ultimate SP update
I was told in Vista 64 it would not sse more than 2GB. I have not tried as
this is what I have heard.

I tried the auto update and it does not show the SP1 as an option, on MS
site it says it is coming soon to auto updates. Am I mising something?

Thanks

>I was told in Vista 64 it would not sse more than 2GB. I have not tried as
> this is what I have heard.
>
> I tried the auto update and it does not show the SP1 as an option, on MS
> site it says it is coming soon to auto updates. Am I mising something?
>
> Thanks

Your 64 bit Vista can see and will use up to extremely large amounts of
memory (depending on what edition you have , such as Ultimate or Home
Premium etc)
You do not need SP1 to use more memory.
see
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ons/64bit.mspx

Windows Vista Edition 64-bit memory support
Home Basic 8 GB
Home Premium 16 GB
Ultimate 128+ GB
Business 128+ GB
Enterprise 128+ GB
--
Mike Brannigan

"Rob I" <RobI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I was told in Vista 64 it would not sse more than 2GB. I have not tried as
> this is what I have heard.
>
> I tried the auto update and it does not show the SP1 as an option, on MS
> site it says it is coming soon to auto updates. Am I mising something?
>
> Thanks
>
> "Mike Brannigan" wrote:
>
>> "Rob I" <RobI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >

>> > I need to update my Windows Vista 64bit Ultimate and I know they are
>> > working on adding it to the automatic updates but I can not wait as I
>> > need
>> > add in memory and it will not see anything over 2gb with out SP1. I
>> > went
>> > Microsoft's website and found this but not sure this is correct so I
>> > wanted
>> > to make 100% sure this is the correct update for me and my software as
>> > there
>> > are several version of Vista out.
>> >
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
>> >
>> > Thanks

>> Yes that is the correct one.
>> I can only assume that it is specific to you system that you cannot see
>> more
>> then 2GB of memory as my x64 systems are happily running and using both 4
>> and 8GB of memory.
>> Are you sure SP1 will fix your problem?
>> Also SP1 is already on Windows Update for both x86 adn x64 systems.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mike Brannigan

Rob I

Re: Windows Vista 64 Ultimate SP update
Ok, I will check it out.

So are there any benifits to getting SP1 now or should I wait? I did all of
the other updates with the automatic update.

"Mike Brannigan" wrote:

> "Rob I" <RobI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I was told in Vista 64 it would not sse more than 2GB. I have not tried as
> > this is what I have heard.
> >
> > I tried the auto update and it does not show the SP1 as an option, on MS
> > site it says it is coming soon to auto updates. Am I mising something?
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> Your 64 bit Vista can see and will use up to extremely large amounts of
> memory (depending on what edition you have , such as Ultimate or Home
> Premium etc)
> You do not need SP1 to use more memory.
> see
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ons/64bit.mspx
>
> Windows Vista Edition 64-bit memory support
> Home Basic 8 GB
> Home Premium 16 GB
> Ultimate 128+ GB
> Business 128+ GB
> Enterprise 128+ GB
> --
> Mike Brannigan
>
> "Rob I" <RobI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I was told in Vista 64 it would not sse more than 2GB. I have not tried as
> > this is what I have heard.
> >
> > I tried the auto update and it does not show the SP1 as an option, on MS
> > site it says it is coming soon to auto updates. Am I mising something?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > "Mike Brannigan" wrote:
> >
> >> "Rob I" <RobI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> Yes that is the correct one.
> >> I can only assume that it is specific to you system that you cannot see
> >> more
> >> then 2GB of memory as my x64 systems are happily running and using both 4
> >> and 8GB of memory.
> >> Are you sure SP1 will fix your problem?
> >> Also SP1 is already on Windows Update for both x86 adn x64 systems.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Mike Brannigan

Grey

Re: Windows Vista 64 Ultimate SP update
I got my ultimate 64 bit SP1 some time back on auto update.

They say that if you don't get offered it on auto, it is because there is
something detected in your hardware and/or drivers that is incompatible. Try
updating all your drivers first.

> Ok, I will check it out.
>
> So are there any benifits to getting SP1 now or should I wait? I did all
> of
> the other updates with the automatic update.

See the links at
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb738089.aspx
for more info on SP1
Overview of Windows Vista Service Pack 1
This white paper presents an overview of Windows Vista SP1 and the
improvements it contains.

Notable Changes in Windows Vista Service Pack 1
This document provides more detail about the notable changes made to Windows
Vista in Service Pack 1, which were focused on addressing specific
reliability, performance, and compatibility issues, supporting new types of
hardware, and adding support for several emerging standards.

--
Mike Brannigan

"Rob I" <RobI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ok, I will check it out.
>
> So are there any benifits to getting SP1 now or should I wait? I did all
> of
> the other updates with the automatic update.
>

> "Mike Brannigan" wrote:
>
>> "Rob I" <RobI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I was told in Vista 64 it would not sse more than 2GB. I have not tried
>> >as
>> > this is what I have heard.
>> >
>> > I tried the auto update and it does not show the SP1 as an option, on
>> > MS
>> > site it says it is coming soon to auto updates. Am I mising something?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >

>> Your 64 bit Vista can see and will use up to extremely large amounts of
>> memory (depending on what edition you have , such as Ultimate or Home
>> Premium etc)
>> You do not need SP1 to use more memory.
>> see
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ons/64bit.mspx
>>
>> Windows Vista Edition 64-bit memory support
>> Home Basic 8 GB
>> Home Premium 16 GB
>> Ultimate 128+ GB
>> Business 128+ GB
>> Enterprise 128+ GB
>> --
>> Mike Brannigan
>>
>> "Rob I" <RobI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I was told in Vista 64 it would not sse more than 2GB. I have not tried
>> >as
>> > this is what I have heard.
>> >
>> > I tried the auto update and it does not show the SP1 as an option, on
>> > MS
>> > site it says it is coming soon to auto updates. Am I mising something?
>> >
>> > Thanks

HighNoon

Re: Windows Vista 64 Ultimate SP update
I think there is some confusion on the 2 gig limit for x64. I think I have
seen there is sometimes an issue installing Vista 64 when there is 4 gig of
memory installed. Again if I am remembering correctly, you had to remove 2
gigs of memory so you only had 2 gigs available, install Vista 64, then add
the 2 gigs back and it would be recognized. I do not believe this was
universal, just in some instances. Again, if I remember some of the articles
on SP1, it corrects this issue. As I had not encountered this problem, I was
reading the articles about the 2 gig problem with x64 in passing and could be
completely wrong, but I do believe this may be what you are thinking about. I
am using Ultimate 64 with 4 gigs of memory with no problems. If I am correct
on this then SP1 will not fix the problem for someone installing with a
non-sp1 Vista disc, it will be only installation with new Vista SP1 included
discs that will be helped with this fix.