Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Trying to Install FASB CD

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2008
Jessica
 

Posts: n/a
Trying to Install FASB CD
PLEASE HELP! I am currently taking an online accounting class and it
requires the use of a Financial Accounting Research System CD. I is the 2006
version and the cd is supposed to work for Windows. Every time I try to
setup and install the CD I get the following error message:

16 bit Windows Subsystem
c:/WINNT/SYSTEM32/AUTOEXEC.NT
The system file is not suitible for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows
applications. Choose 'close' to terminate the application.

I don't click on close, but I click on ignore to try to make the message go
away and continue with the installations process. All it does is kick me out.
How can this be fixed? I need the cd to work ASAP for a I have an assignment
due Sunday. Thanks for all of your help in advance.


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2008
Richard G. Harper
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Trying to Install FASB CD
Is the software on the CD compatible with Vista? Considering it's a 2006
version it may not be. You may not be able to install it on Vista.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
* NEW! Catch my blog ... http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
* PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
* The Website - http://rgharper.mvps.org/


"Jessica" <Jessica@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:F2924888-DE0B-4A53-A7CB-A70865E9E25F@microsoft.com...
> PLEASE HELP! I am currently taking an online accounting class and it
> requires the use of a Financial Accounting Research System CD. I is the
> 2006
> version and the cd is supposed to work for Windows. Every time I try to
> setup and install the CD I get the following error message:
>
> 16 bit Windows Subsystem
> c:/WINNT/SYSTEM32/AUTOEXEC.NT
> The system file is not suitible for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows
> applications. Choose 'close' to terminate the application.
>
> I don't click on close, but I click on ignore to try to make the message
> go
> away and continue with the installations process. All it does is kick me
> out.
> How can this be fixed? I need the cd to work ASAP for a I have an
> assignment
> due Sunday. Thanks for all of your help in advance.
>
>


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2008
Jessica
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Trying to Install FASB CD
I don't have Vista. I have Windows XP and the book to the CD states that it
is compatible with XP. It should work because I tried to install it to the
computer at work that has Windows XP and it did install. I am having trouble
with it installing at my home computer. It pops up the message about 16 bit
Windows Subsystem. What is 16 bit Windows Subsystem?
--
THX!


"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

> Is the software on the CD compatible with Vista? Considering it's a 2006
> version it may not be. You may not be able to install it on Vista.
>
> --
> Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
> * NEW! Catch my blog ... http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
> * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
> * The Website - http://rgharper.mvps.org/
>
>
> "Jessica" <Jessica@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:F2924888-DE0B-4A53-A7CB-A70865E9E25F@microsoft.com...
> > PLEASE HELP! I am currently taking an online accounting class and it
> > requires the use of a Financial Accounting Research System CD. I is the
> > 2006
> > version and the cd is supposed to work for Windows. Every time I try to
> > setup and install the CD I get the following error message:
> >
> > 16 bit Windows Subsystem
> > c:/WINNT/SYSTEM32/AUTOEXEC.NT
> > The system file is not suitible for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows
> > applications. Choose 'close' to terminate the application.
> >
> > I don't click on close, but I click on ignore to try to make the message
> > go
> > away and continue with the installations process. All it does is kick me
> > out.
> > How can this be fixed? I need the cd to work ASAP for a I have an
> > assignment
> > due Sunday. Thanks for all of your help in advance.
> >
> >

>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2008
Rick Rogers
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Trying to Install FASB CD
Hi Jessica,

First, you've posted to a Vista group, not XP. The program parameters and
requirements are very different.

Second, in most XP Home installations, the path would be C:\Windows, not
C:\Winnt. In XP, autoexec.nt is often also located on the root of C:\. If
you can manually change the file path, then you should do so.

Third, the 16-bit subsystem is what XP uses to run 16-bit applications
within its 32-bit environment. It's used for backwards compatibility for
older software. The problem you run into is that the applications often
contain hardcoded file paths rather than variables. So, instead of using
%windir%, which would point to either C:\Windows or C:\Winnt depending on
the installation, it only looks for the one. When it doesn't exist, you get
the error.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

"Jessica" <Jessica@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:B0770070-E994-47C3-B91A-273C5A84FC7F@microsoft.com...
>I don't have Vista. I have Windows XP and the book to the CD states that it
> is compatible with XP. It should work because I tried to install it to
> the
> computer at work that has Windows XP and it did install. I am having
> trouble
> with it installing at my home computer. It pops up the message about 16
> bit
> Windows Subsystem. What is 16 bit Windows Subsystem?
> --
> THX!
>
>
> "Richard G. Harper" wrote:
>
>> Is the software on the CD compatible with Vista? Considering it's a 2006
>> version it may not be. You may not be able to install it on Vista.
>>
>> --
>> Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
>> * NEW! Catch my blog ... http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
>> * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
>> * The Website - http://rgharper.mvps.org/
>>
>>
>> "Jessica" <Jessica@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:F2924888-DE0B-4A53-A7CB-A70865E9E25F@microsoft.com...
>> > PLEASE HELP! I am currently taking an online accounting class and it
>> > requires the use of a Financial Accounting Research System CD. I is
>> > the
>> > 2006
>> > version and the cd is supposed to work for Windows. Every time I try
>> > to
>> > setup and install the CD I get the following error message:
>> >
>> > 16 bit Windows Subsystem
>> > c:/WINNT/SYSTEM32/AUTOEXEC.NT
>> > The system file is not suitible for running MS-DOS and Microsoft
>> > Windows
>> > applications. Choose 'close' to terminate the application.
>> >
>> > I don't click on close, but I click on ignore to try to make the
>> > message
>> > go
>> > away and continue with the installations process. All it does is kick
>> > me
>> > out.
>> > How can this be fixed? I need the cd to work ASAP for a I have an
>> > assignment
>> > due Sunday. Thanks for all of your help in advance.
>> >
>> >

>>


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vista Home Premium Install Hangs At Completing. (Clean Install) Serges2K microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 3 05-05-2010 15:38
HP LaserJet 1012: Update Failing to Install, Vista Constantly Fails to Install Driver T. Hulot microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 5 03-09-2008 02:22
Article ID: 934538 You cannot turn on an optional feature, install a Windows update, install a hotfix, or install a language pack on a Windows Vista-based computer KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
HP LaserJet 1012: Update Failing to Install, Vista Constantly Fails to Install Driver T. Hulot microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 3 08-01-2007 15:56
Can't Install Vista Home premium upgrade - "can't install a file and quits vincen11@msu.edu microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 3 02-21-2007 03:10




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:57.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120