getting sick of vista...again - install IIS

george hardy

getting sick of vista...again - install IIS
im trying to install iis, but it keeps failing, saying that:

Windows Servicing failed to complete the process of changing update
936330-205_neutral_GDR from package KB936330(Service Pack) into
Staged(Staged) state

AND

A provider, WebAdministrationProvider, has been registered in the Windows
Management Instrumentation namespace Root\WebAdministration to use the
LocalSystem account. This account is privileged and the provider may cause a
security violation if it does not correctly impersonate user requests.

so, i can't start IIS at all, and I need to fix a problem with one of my web
apps. I have Vista Business SP1. Furthermore, everytime I look at the
Add/Remove windows components (or whatever it's called now), it shows them
all unchecked, even tho i checked them ON after at least 3 reboots.

what's going on here?
thanks
gh

george hardy

Re: getting sick of vista...again - install IIS
i guess im getting closer to getting it to work......

The Windows Process Activation Service service terminated with the following
error: The system cannot find the file specified."
I'm not sure if this is related to the Vista Service Pack 1 Beta but I
installed the SP1 beta recently and then within the next week or so I
couldn't start IIS (W3SVC). When I'd try to start W3SVC I'd get an error
saying "The dependency service or group failed to start." A little digging
and I found out that the Windows Process Activation Service (WAS) wasn't
started and that that was the dependency.

(A little side note: trying to search the internet on something called "was"
is annoying because either the search service discards "was" as a noise word
or I get a match on the past tense form of the verb 'to be'. Mountains of
useless results.)

When I tried to start WAS, I'd get an error saying "The Windows Process
Activation Service service terminated with the following error: The system
cannot find the file specified." What made this extra fun to diagnose was
that the "file specified" didn't show up in the error message.

Eventually, I found a page on technet that provided the answer.

http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true

The path that WAS was looking for was "c:\inetpub\temp\appPools". I
re-created it and set the permissions as shown in the technet article and
everything was working again.

-Ben

posted @ Tuesday, January 01, 2008 12:16 PM