Prompt To Join Computer To Domain

=?Utf-8?B?SmVycnlH?=

Prompt To Join Computer To Domain
Does anyone know how to get Vista Setup to prompt you to join a computer to
join a computer to a domain? My company has multiple domains and 2000 and XP
used JoinDomain= in Sysprep and it always prompts to join the domain if you
leave the credentials empty, however the unattend.xml does not seem to work
the same. If you leave credentials empty it will not prompt for a domain, it
will just assume it is a WORKGROUP.
Any help would be appreciated.

<component name="Microsoft-Windows-UnattendedJoin"
processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35"
language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS"
xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State"
<Identification>
<Credentials>
<Domain></Domain>
<Username></Username>
<Password></Password>
</Credentials>
<JoinDomain>DOMAINNAME</JoinDomain>

KHemmelman

RE: Prompt To Join Computer To Domain
Jerry, I know your post is very old, but if you happen to read my reply, did
you ever figure this out? We are in the same boat. We do not want to
"autojoin" a domain, but we DO want it to prompt us to join the domain. This
was rather easy under sysprep with Windows XP, but I haven't figured it out
under Vista. I'm beginning to think Vista can't do this, which just doesn't
make sense that you'd loose this capability.

If anyone else reads this message and knows how to do this, I would
appreciate knowing how you did this. Thank you.

Keith

"JerryG" wrote:

> Does anyone know how to get Vista Setup to prompt you to join a computer to
> join a computer to a domain? My company has multiple domains and 2000 and XP
> used JoinDomain= in Sysprep and it always prompts to join the domain if you
> leave the credentials empty, however the unattend.xml does not seem to work
> the same. If you leave credentials empty it will not prompt for a domain, it
> will just assume it is a WORKGROUP.
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> <component name="Microsoft-Windows-UnattendedJoin"
> processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35"
> language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS"
> xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State"
> <Identification>
> <Credentials>
> <Domain></Domain>
> <Username></Username>
> <Password></Password>
> </Credentials>
> <JoinDomain>DOMAINNAME</JoinDomain>

JerryG

RE: Prompt To Join Computer To Domain
Keith, I still have not been able to find anything on this. It does seem
like there is something wrong with this feature in Vista. I will post if I
hear anything.
Thanks,
Jerry

"KHemmelman" wrote:

> Jerry, I know your post is very old, but if you happen to read my reply, did
> you ever figure this out? We are in the same boat. We do not want to
> "autojoin" a domain, but we DO want it to prompt us to join the domain. This
> was rather easy under sysprep with Windows XP, but I haven't figured it out
> under Vista. I'm beginning to think Vista can't do this, which just doesn't
> make sense that you'd loose this capability.
>
> If anyone else reads this message and knows how to do this, I would
> appreciate knowing how you did this. Thank you.
>
> Keith
>
> "JerryG" wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know how to get Vista Setup to prompt you to join a computer to
> > join a computer to a domain? My company has multiple domains and 2000 and XP
> > used JoinDomain= in Sysprep and it always prompts to join the domain if you
> > leave the credentials empty, however the unattend.xml does not seem to work
> > the same. If you leave credentials empty it will not prompt for a domain, it
> > will just assume it is a WORKGROUP.
> > Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > <component name="Microsoft-Windows-UnattendedJoin"
> > processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35"
> > language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS"
> > xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State"
> > xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
> > <Identification>
> > <Credentials>
> > <Domain></Domain>
> > <Username></Username>
> > <Password></Password>
> > </Credentials>
> > <JoinDomain>DOMAINNAME</JoinDomain>

KHemmelman

RE: Prompt To Join Computer To Domain
Thanks Jerry. I'm running into the same lack of answers on this issue. I
posted over in a technet forum too, but so far no answer. I suspect it's
either broken in the Vista sysprep or this ability was intentionally removed
from Vista sysprep. I can't imagine the logic behind removing this ability
though. Regardless, it doesn't work. For as complicated and frustrating as
using sysprep has now become under Vista versus XP, you'd think it would at
least be able to do all the same things the old sysprep could do, but it
appears that is not the case.

For now the best I can come up with is a "Mickey Mouse solution" of running
a first logon command that opens the system control panel to allow our techs
to manually join the domain after sysprep is done and out of the picture.
None of them will be happy with this.

Keith