Motherboard Replacement

tommy2

Motherboard Replacement
Hi, need a little help here. I am runing a Vista Home Basic OEM Upgrade and
the motherboard went. Replace the board with a new one - but couldn't find
the old exact board (939 amd). I've tried the repair function booting from
my Vista disk but no change (as I figured). So,

Do I need to reformat the drive then load? Will my OEM Upgrade still work
once I have a clean drive? Since it may no longer think of it as an upgrade.
Is there away around reformatting when you replace a motherboard in vista?
If I have to reformat - know where there is a procedure to do it. Appreciate
any help.

--
Tom
andy

Re: Motherboard Replacement
On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 00:48:01 -0700, tommy2
<tommy2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi, need a little help here. I am runing a Vista Home Basic OEM Upgrade and
>the motherboard went. Replace the board with a new one - but couldn't find
>the old exact board (939 amd). I've tried the repair function booting from
>my Vista disk but no change (as I figured). So,
>
>Do I need to reformat the drive then load? Will my OEM Upgrade still work
>once I have a clean drive?

Google Vista upgrade double install.

> Since it may no longer think of it as an upgrade.
> Is there away around reformatting when you replace a motherboard in vista?
>If I have to reformat - know where there is a procedure to do it. Appreciate
>any help.

Mick Murphy

RE: Motherboard Replacement
You don't say what you upgraded from!
If you have your original Operating Systtem disk, you will format the drive
with it, reinstall the original OS with it, then upgrade with the upgrade
disc!

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"tommy2" wrote:

> Hi, need a little help here. I am runing a Vista Home Basic OEM Upgrade and
> the motherboard went. Replace the board with a new one - but couldn't find
> the old exact board (939 amd). I've tried the repair function booting from
> my Vista disk but no change (as I figured). So,
>
> Do I need to reformat the drive then load? Will my OEM Upgrade still work
> once I have a clean drive? Since it may no longer think of it as an upgrade.
> Is there away around reformatting when you replace a motherboard in vista?
> If I have to reformat - know where there is a procedure to do it. Appreciate
> any help.
>

> --
> Tom

Grey

Re: Motherboard Replacement
If you have put SP1 in, yes, clean install needed. No repair install
possible the same as XP would do.