Remove evaluation version

Proboscis

Remove evaluation version
A long time ago I installed an evaluation version of Windows Vista on the
second partition of my pc, next to my installation of Windows XP (dual boot
partition C and L).

The evaluation period has long since expired and I am no longer using Vista.
However, all the files are still present on my second partition, and every
time I start my pc, the boot menu will come up.

What do I need to do to completely remove all the files that belong to
Windows Vista and make sure that my system boots straight into Windows XP,
without stopping for the boot menu?

philo

Re: Remove evaluation version

"Proboscis" <proboscis@gmx.net> wrote in message
> A long time ago I installed an evaluation version of Windows Vista on the
> second partition of my pc, next to my installation of Windows XP (dual

boot
> partition C and L).
>
> The evaluation period has long since expired and I am no longer using

Vista.
> However, all the files are still present on my second partition, and every
> time I start my pc, the boot menu will come up.
>
> What do I need to do to completely remove all the files that belong to
> Windows Vista and make sure that my system boots straight into Windows XP,
> without stopping for the boot menu?

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1040/...l_boot_machine

Nepatsfan

Re: Remove evaluation version

"Proboscis" <proboscis@gmx.net> wrote in message
>A long time ago I installed an evaluation version of Windows Vista on the
>second partition of my pc, next to my installation of Windows XP (dual boot
>partition C and L).
>
> The evaluation period has long since expired and I am no longer using Vista.
> However, all the files are still present on my second partition, and every
> time I start my pc, the boot menu will come up.
>
> What do I need to do to completely remove all the files that belong to Windows
> Vista and make sure that my system boots straight into Windows XP, without
> stopping for the boot menu?

The simplest solution to this issue is to download, install in XP, and run this
program.

VistaBootPRO 3.3
http://www.vistabootpro.org/

Once you've launched the program, click on System Bootloader.
Select "Windows Legacy Bootloader".
Select "All Drives".
Hit the "Install Bootloader" button.

Restart your computer.

I'm guessing that Vista was installed on your L drive. If that's the case, you
can format that drive.

Good luck

Nepatsfan

Proboscis

"Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> schreef:

> "Proboscis" <proboscis@gmx.net> wrote
>>

> I'm guessing that Vista was installed on your L drive. If that's the case,
> you can format that drive.

Thanks for the info.

Drive L is my data drive, so I don't want to format the drive. I just want
to remove whatever belongs to Vista. I suppose it is the usual folders, such
as Windows, Program Files, etcetera.

Nepatsfan

> "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> schreef:
>>
>> "Proboscis" <proboscis@gmx.net> wrote
>>>

>> I'm guessing that Vista was installed on your L drive. If that's the case,
>> you can format that drive.
>>

> Thanks for the info.
>
> Drive L is my data drive, so I don't want to format the drive. I just want to
> remove whatever belongs to Vista. I suppose it is the usual folders, such as
> Windows, Program Files, etcetera.

From your XP installation, configure the selections on the View page of Folder
Options to show hidden files and folders. Also, uncheck Hide protected operating
system files. You can now delete the following files and folders from your L
drive.

Windows
Program Files
$Recycle.Bin
ProgramData
Users
config.sys
autoexec.bat
pagefile.sys
hiberfil.sys

This list is based on the files and folders present on a system that dual boots
XP and Vista SP1. Not all of these files and folders may be present on your L
drive.

Good luck

Nepatsfan

Proboscis

"Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote:

> From your XP installation, configure the selections on the View page of
> Folder Options to show hidden files and folders. Also, uncheck Hide
> protected operating system files. You can now delete the following files
> and folders from your L drive.
>
> Windows
> Program Files
> $Recycle.Bin
> ProgramData
> Users
> config.sys
> autoexec.bat
> pagefile.sys
> hiberfil.sys
>
> This list is based on the files and folders present on a system that dual
> boots XP and Vista SP1. Not all of these files and folders may be present
> on your L drive.
>
> Good luck
>
> Nepatsfan

Many thanks!

Nepatsfan

> "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote:
>>
>> From your XP installation, configure the selections on the View page of
>> Folder Options to show hidden files and folders. Also, uncheck Hide protected
>> operating system files. You can now delete the following files and folders
>> from your L drive.
>>
>> Windows
>> Program Files
>> $Recycle.Bin
>> ProgramData
>> Users
>> config.sys
>> autoexec.bat
>> pagefile.sys
>> hiberfil.sys
>>
>> This list is based on the files and folders present on a system that dual
>> boots XP and Vista SP1. Not all of these files and folders may be present on
>> your L drive.
>>
>> Good luck
>>
>> Nepatsfan

> Many thanks!