removable ide drives

=?Utf-8?B?dGh1bmRlcmhhbmQ=?=

removable ide drives
I have an issue with a removable drive bay..

I have 2 hard drives , one with xp installed and the second i installed
vista home premium
there is also a third drive that stays in pc with data only.

her is the issue. vista installed and ran perfectly with second hd (data )
connected directly to the ide cable. I installed a removable drive bay so i
could swap between xp and vista. allways leaving the third data drive
installed.

well xp boots and runs in removable drive bay but vista just hangs on
welcome screen.. these removeable drive bays do not require any drivers so i
dont know what the deal is.

if i remove the vista hd from the removable drive bay. and connect back to
the ide cable directly it boots and runs like a charm...

so the question is what is the deal with the removable drive bay.. should i
disable something in vista ??

its a generic plastic mobile rack.
http://www.e-mart.com/Merchant2/merc...tegory_Code=MR
like this but all plastic..
=?Utf-8?B?cmV0aXJlZCBmaXJl?=

RE: removable ide drives
I also use removable trays, without issue....

I wonder if one of the trays is defective??? swap hard drives in the trays
and see if vista will boot....

The only thing that is different on my system is that I installed vista to
the hard drive already in the tray....

You are correct that the tray does not require drivers or software...

Good luck...

"thunderhand" wrote:

> I have an issue with a removable drive bay..
>
> I have 2 hard drives , one with xp installed and the second i installed
> vista home premium
> there is also a third drive that stays in pc with data only.
>
> her is the issue. vista installed and ran perfectly with second hd (data )
> connected directly to the ide cable. I installed a removable drive bay so i
> could swap between xp and vista. allways leaving the third data drive
> installed.
>
> well xp boots and runs in removable drive bay but vista just hangs on
> welcome screen.. these removeable drive bays do not require any drivers so i
> dont know what the deal is.
>
> if i remove the vista hd from the removable drive bay. and connect back to
> the ide cable directly it boots and runs like a charm...
>
> so the question is what is the deal with the removable drive bay.. should i
> disable something in vista ??
>
> its a generic plastic mobile rack.
> http://www.e-mart.com/Merchant2/merc...tegory_Code=MR
> like this but all plastic..

=?Utf-8?B?dGh1bmRlcmhhbmQ=?=

RE: removable ide drives
i will do that later.. put the drive in the bay and then install vista
thanks for the suggestion.

"retired fire" wrote:

> I also use removable trays, without issue....
>
> I wonder if one of the trays is defective??? swap hard drives in the trays
> and see if vista will boot....
>
> The only thing that is different on my system is that I installed vista to
> the hard drive already in the tray....
>
> You are correct that the tray does not require drivers or software...
>
> Good luck...
>
> "thunderhand" wrote:
>
> > I have an issue with a removable drive bay..
> >
> > I have 2 hard drives , one with xp installed and the second i installed
> > vista home premium
> > there is also a third drive that stays in pc with data only.
> >
> > her is the issue. vista installed and ran perfectly with second hd (data )
> > connected directly to the ide cable. I installed a removable drive bay so i
> > could swap between xp and vista. allways leaving the third data drive
> > installed.
> >
> > well xp boots and runs in removable drive bay but vista just hangs on
> > welcome screen.. these removeable drive bays do not require any drivers so i
> > dont know what the deal is.
> >
> > if i remove the vista hd from the removable drive bay. and connect back to
> > the ide cable directly it boots and runs like a charm...
> >
> > so the question is what is the deal with the removable drive bay.. should i
> > disable something in vista ??
> >
> > its a generic plastic mobile rack.
> > http://www.e-mart.com/Merchant2/merc...tegory_Code=MR
> > like this but all plastic..

BobS

Re: removable ide drives
One thing to look at since I had a similar issue is the cable. Is it the 40
or 80 pin cable? Look inside the cage and see what the cable type is that
goes from the back connector to the hard drive. I'm betting it's a 40 pin
cable and that the cable in your PC is an 80 pin?

Bob S.

"thunderhand" <thunderhand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an issue with a removable drive bay..
>
> I have 2 hard drives , one with xp installed and the second i installed
> vista home premium
> there is also a third drive that stays in pc with data only.
>
> her is the issue. vista installed and ran perfectly with second hd (data )
> connected directly to the ide cable. I installed a removable drive bay so
> could swap between xp and vista. allways leaving the third data drive
> installed.
>
> well xp boots and runs in removable drive bay but vista just hangs on
> welcome screen.. these removeable drive bays do not require any drivers so
> dont know what the deal is.
>
> if i remove the vista hd from the removable drive bay. and connect back to
> the ide cable directly it boots and runs like a charm...
>
> so the question is what is the deal with the removable drive bay.. should
> disable something in vista ??
>
> its a generic plastic mobile rack.
> http://www.e-mart.com/Merchant2/merc...tegory_Code=MR
> like this but all plastic..

=?Utf-8?B?dGh1bmRlcmhhbmQ=?=

Re: removable ide drives
its an 80 pin cable. even says right on the box
ata 66/100/133 80 pin /keylock

i tried to install vista with drive in the bay.. well over night 11 hrs
later
it only got to 68% extacting files..

disk booted,, saw drive,, copied files and then went really really slow
overninght.

well no removable drive for me i guess..