setup failure

newbie

setup failure
i just finished install window vista in my laptop (dell inspiron 1420).. but,
somehow i discover that my laptop having problem to restart.. everytime i
want to restart my laptop, after the dell logo, there will be blue screen
writing something but i cant read it because it appear less than 2 sec and
then the laptop will keep on rebooting.. so i have to shut down manually
(using power button) and start it again.. i tried to solce using startup
repairs but nothing change.. im a newbie in this kind of situation so i
really need helps for u all.. thx in advance
John Barnett MVP

Re: setup failure
If a blue screen is appearing then it is likely to be a driver problem.
Prior to installing Vista did you check that your laptop would be compatible
with Vista using the Vista Upgrade Advisor? (see this link from my website:
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/windows...de_advisor.htm)

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"newbie" <newbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i just finished install window vista in my laptop (dell inspiron 1420)..
>but,
> somehow i discover that my laptop having problem to restart.. everytime i
> want to restart my laptop, after the dell logo, there will be blue screen
> writing something but i cant read it because it appear less than 2 sec and
> then the laptop will keep on rebooting.. so i have to shut down manually
> (using power button) and start it again.. i tried to solce using startup
> repairs but nothing change.. im a newbie in this kind of situation so i
> really need helps for u all.. thx in advance

newbie

Re: setup failure
i already did the vista upgrade advisor and it said that my laptop can run
windows vista. so what should i do next?

"John Barnett MVP" wrote:

> If a blue screen is appearing then it is likely to be a driver problem.
> Prior to installing Vista did you check that your laptop would be compatible
> with Vista using the Vista Upgrade Advisor? (see this link from my website:
> http://vistasupport.mvps.org/windows...de_advisor.htm)

> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> Windows Desktop Experience
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable for
> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the
> mail/post..
>
> "newbie" <newbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >i just finished install window vista in my laptop (dell inspiron 1420)..
> >but,
> > somehow i discover that my laptop having problem to restart.. everytime i
> > want to restart my laptop, after the dell logo, there will be blue screen
> > writing something but i cant read it because it appear less than 2 sec and
> > then the laptop will keep on rebooting.. so i have to shut down manually
> > (using power button) and start it again.. i tried to solce using startup
> > repairs but nothing change.. im a newbie in this kind of situation so i
> > really need helps for u all.. thx in advance

John Barnett MVP

Re: setup failure
Are there any USB peripherals attached during the install (such as
modem/router, removable USB drives/sticks)? If so remove them and try
re-installing again. You don't say what vista media you are using, retail
copy (which you purchased yourself from a store) or disk supplied by pc
manufacturer. If it is a retail copy the by selecting the 'repair' options
you should actually see an option in the list for turning off automatic
restart on error. If you turn this off and restart, as soon as the blue
screen appears the details will remain on screen without the laptop
restarting and you can note down the error message. It sounds like a driver
problem, but which driver is causing the problem is difficult to know.

>i already did the vista upgrade advisor and it said that my laptop can run
> windows vista. so what should i do next?
>
> "John Barnett MVP" wrote:
>
>> If a blue screen is appearing then it is likely to be a driver problem.
>> Prior to installing Vista did you check that your laptop would be
>> compatible
>> with Vista using the Vista Upgrade Advisor? (see this link from my
>> website:
>> http://vistasupport.mvps.org/windows...de_advisor.htm)

>> John Barnett MVP
>> Associate Expert
>> Windows Desktop Experience
>>
>> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

>> for
>> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of
>> the
>> use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this
>> mail/post..
>>
>> "newbie" <newbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >i just finished install window vista in my laptop (dell inspiron 1420)..
>> >but,
>> > somehow i discover that my laptop having problem to restart.. everytime
>> > want to restart my laptop, after the dell logo, there will be blue
>> > screen
>> > writing something but i cant read it because it appear less than 2 sec
>> > and
>> > then the laptop will keep on rebooting.. so i have to shut down
>> > manually
>> > (using power button) and start it again.. i tried to solce using
>> > startup
>> > repairs but nothing change.. im a newbie in this kind of situation so i
>> > really need helps for u all.. thx in advance

newbie

Re: setup failure
i have reinstalled it all over again and it will still be the same. im using
windows vista home premium. i got it along with my laptop. so i cant do what
u had explain above. since u said it is a driver problem, what should i do?

"John Barnett MVP" wrote:

> Are there any USB peripherals attached during the install (such as
> modem/router, removable USB drives/sticks)? If so remove them and try
> re-installing again. You don't say what vista media you are using, retail
> copy (which you purchased yourself from a store) or disk supplied by pc
> manufacturer. If it is a retail copy the by selecting the 'repair' options
> you should actually see an option in the list for turning off automatic
> restart on error. If you turn this off and restart, as soon as the blue
> screen appears the details will remain on screen without the laptop
> restarting and you can note down the error message. It sounds like a driver
> problem, but which driver is causing the problem is difficult to know.

> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> Windows Desktop Experience
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable for
> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the
> mail/post..
>
> "newbie" <newbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >i already did the vista upgrade advisor and it said that my laptop can run
> > windows vista. so what should i do next?
> >
> > "John Barnett MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> If a blue screen is appearing then it is likely to be a driver problem.
> >> Prior to installing Vista did you check that your laptop would be
> >> compatible
> >> with Vista using the Vista Upgrade Advisor? (see this link from my
> >> website:
> >> http://vistasupport.mvps.org/windows...de_advisor.htm)
> >>

> >> --
> >> --
> >> John Barnett MVP
> >> Associate Expert
> >> Windows Desktop Experience
> >>
> >> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> >> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
> >>
> >> The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". No warranty of any
> >> kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
> >> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
> >> for
> >> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of
> >> the
> >> use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this
> >> mail/post..

John Barnett MVP

Re: setup failure
Take a look at these two links:

http://support.dell.com/support/topi... 41&l=en&s=gen

http://support.dell.com/support/topi...5&docid=324277

If your laptop is still under warranty contact Dell technical support they
may be able to pinpoint the problem.

All troubleshooting is a matter of trial and error and really you need the
PC/Laptop in front of you to see exactly what is happening. I don't have
your laptop in front of me, so it is difficult to give specific advice.
Dell, on the other hand, have probably had more than one customer contact
them with the same problem as you, so they may be able to guide you through
the troubleshooting process to get you up and running again.