Vista SP1 and ICH9 SMBus Controller

Electron

Vista SP1 and ICH9 SMBus Controller
Since I had al the problems in getting SP1 to work properly, I have this
issue with the USB ports not reconising my USB flash drives. It seems to be
that the driver for the Intel ICH9 controller won't install. I have tried the
motherboard installation disk and Vista has looked on the WWW and cannot find
an updated driver. I downloaded the updated driver program for the P35
chipset from INTEL and that also failed to install and 'Driver Detective'
also failed to install the driver. It sems Vista won't allow a new driver to
be installed, why? Is it because the location of the driver files is 'read
only', or what? I tried to do this stuff in 'safe mode' as well with the same
result. Seems to me that I am heading for a re-format/re-partition of my HDD
and re-load of Vista to get things right. Another interesting observation: I
installed another 2GByte of RAM and now have 4Gig. The BIOS reports 4GB and
so does Windows, (Vista 32bit). I thought I read somewhere that 32-bit Vista
won't see all of the 4GByte?
Faking

RE: Vista SP1 and ICH9 SMBus Controller
I have this exact same problem, except I'm running Vista 64-bit. Since
Service Pack 1 I can't install flash drives, my new DVD burner or a new hard
drive I bought cause I can't get the SMBus Controller to install on my Asus
P5K-e. How did you resolve it?