Did the manufacturer do something wrong ?

Eric

Did the manufacturer do something wrong ?
My story is a little complex but I hope someone can help me.

Last week I purchased a pc from HP with Vista Home Premium installed.
However, I did not like some programs, some useless stuff installed by HP.
Then I wanted to format hd and install a fresh one of Vista. There was a
partition "Recovery" on hd and I had heard that I could format hd and
reinstall
Vista using this Recovery partition without losing any files. But I didn't
take it in consideration. Who cares not to lose files while formatting? Is
there anyone who doesn't backup files to a storage device before formatting?
whatever..Then I decided to format and reinstall it by myself.

Then I figured out something weird. I wanted to make sure that the product
key labeled on the machine chassis is same with the one that manufacturer
installed Vista with. But they weren't same. I checked the product key via
softwares such as Everest, Sandra and figured out that product key of Vista
that was installed by HP was different from the key labeled on the machine. I
noted them both. And I took a Vista dvd which doesn't look like an original
copy from a friend.

Then I formatted and reinstalled Vista. I entered the labeled product key
but when tried to activate it, it said the key was invalid. I installed Vista
again and tried the other key. The result was same. Both keys are invalid
regarding to Microsoft. But how can it be? I bougt it from an original
manufacturer and seem to be genuine till formatting.

Please help me! What's wrong with it? Could it be the dvd that I used? If I
try other dvds will it work? But they don't give a copy of it when you
purchase a pc!
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Did the manufacturer do something wrong ?
Vista that comes preinstalled on a computer, built by a large computer manufacturer,
comes with two (2) product keys:

1) OEM SLP: This key comes inside Vista when it comes from the Factory.
This key is geared to work with the special instructions found only on that
Manufacturer's motherboards. So when Vista was installed using the OEM
SLP key (at the factory) Vista looks at the motherboard and sees the special
instructions and activates itself. (That’s why you did need to activate your
computer after you brought it home). Since this key is for self activation,
it cannot be used to activate (thru Microsoft) either over the internet or by phone.

2) COA SLP: This is the Product key that you see on the sticker on the side
of your computer. It is different than the OEM SLP key. It's a valid product key,
but should only be used in limited situations. The key must be activated
(thru Microsoft), but can only be Activated by Phone.

You can reset your Windows Vista activation by performing the following:

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in: slui.exe 4

2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.

3. Select your Country.

4. Follow the instructions for phone activation (no charge).

5. Once completed, restart your computer.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Eric" wrote:

[...]

scrooge

Re: Did the manufacturer do something wrong ?

the Recovery disk should be on your ( d: drive) and it's a oem . i
don't think you can use a oem key for a retail disk. can you install
from your d: drive ? if not then install
it with the dvd without the key and then go into your d: drive and
reinstall .this time
put the key in . i'm not sure if it will work or no but what do you
have to lose.
scrooge

--
scrooge
DL

Re: Did the manufacturer do something wrong ?
If you use the recovery option, or HP supplied recovery disks you will have
the same crapware installed as was when origonally supplied
If you used another copy of Vista then the key supplied by HP will I believe
not work

"Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My story is a little complex but I hope someone can help me.
>
> Last week I purchased a pc from HP with Vista Home Premium installed.
> However, I did not like some programs, some useless stuff installed by HP.
> Then I wanted to format hd and install a fresh one of Vista. There was a
> partition "Recovery" on hd and I had heard that I could format hd and
> reinstall
> Vista using this Recovery partition without losing any files. But I didn't
> take it in consideration. Who cares not to lose files while formatting? Is
> there anyone who doesn't backup files to a storage device before
> formatting?
> whatever..Then I decided to format and reinstall it by myself.
>
> Then I figured out something weird. I wanted to make sure that the product
> key labeled on the machine chassis is same with the one that manufacturer
> installed Vista with. But they weren't same. I checked the product key via
> softwares such as Everest, Sandra and figured out that product key of
> Vista
> that was installed by HP was different from the key labeled on the
> machine. I
> noted them both. And I took a Vista dvd which doesn't look like an
> original
> copy from a friend.
>
> Then I formatted and reinstalled Vista. I entered the labeled product key
> but when tried to activate it, it said the key was invalid. I installed
> Vista
> again and tried the other key. The result was same. Both keys are invalid
> regarding to Microsoft. But how can it be? I bougt it from an original
> manufacturer and seem to be genuine till formatting.
>
> Please help me! What's wrong with it? Could it be the dvd that I used? If
> try other dvds will it work? But they don't give a copy of it when you
> purchase a pc!

Eric

RE: Did the manufacturer do something wrong ?
I tried the key labeled on chassis, and it worked! Soon I installed Service
Pack 1, then it said the key was invalid and 3 days left to activate. So I
tried the phone activation as Carey Frisch said, it worked! Now it is
activated. But why is this so complicated! that s really annoying.

"Eric" wrote:

> My story is a little complex but I hope someone can help me.
>
> Last week I purchased a pc from HP with Vista Home Premium installed.
> However, I did not like some programs, some useless stuff installed by HP.
> Then I wanted to format hd and install a fresh one of Vista. There was a
> partition "Recovery" on hd and I had heard that I could format hd and
> reinstall
> Vista using this Recovery partition without losing any files. But I didn't
> take it in consideration. Who cares not to lose files while formatting? Is
> there anyone who doesn't backup files to a storage device before formatting?
> whatever..Then I decided to format and reinstall it by myself.
>
> Then I figured out something weird. I wanted to make sure that the product
> key labeled on the machine chassis is same with the one that manufacturer
> installed Vista with. But they weren't same. I checked the product key via
> softwares such as Everest, Sandra and figured out that product key of Vista
> that was installed by HP was different from the key labeled on the machine. I
> noted them both. And I took a Vista dvd which doesn't look like an original
> copy from a friend.
>
> Then I formatted and reinstalled Vista. I entered the labeled product key
> but when tried to activate it, it said the key was invalid. I installed Vista
> again and tried the other key. The result was same. Both keys are invalid
> regarding to Microsoft. But how can it be? I bougt it from an original
> manufacturer and seem to be genuine till formatting.
>
> Please help me! What's wrong with it? Could it be the dvd that I used? If I
> try other dvds will it work? But they don't give a copy of it when you
> purchase a pc!

Donald L McDaniel

Re: Did the manufacturer do something wrong ?
On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 07:08:00 -0700, Eric
<Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I tried the key labeled on chassis, and it worked! Soon I installed Service
>Pack 1, then it said the key was invalid and 3 days left to activate. So I
>tried the phone activation as Carey Frisch said, it worked! Now it is
>activated. But why is this so complicated! that s really annoying.
>
>"Eric" wrote:
>
>> My story is a little complex but I hope someone can help me.
>>
>> Last week I purchased a pc from HP with Vista Home Premium installed.
>> However, I did not like some programs, some useless stuff installed by HP.
>> Then I wanted to format hd and install a fresh one of Vista. There was a
>> partition "Recovery" on hd and I had heard that I could format hd and
>> reinstall
>> Vista using this Recovery partition without losing any files. But I didn't
>> take it in consideration. Who cares not to lose files while formatting? Is
>> there anyone who doesn't backup files to a storage device before formatting?
>> whatever..Then I decided to format and reinstall it by myself.
>>
>> Then I figured out something weird. I wanted to make sure that the product
>> key labeled on the machine chassis is same with the one that manufacturer
>> installed Vista with. But they weren't same. I checked the product key via
>> softwares such as Everest, Sandra and figured out that product key of Vista
>> that was installed by HP was different from the key labeled on the machine. I
>> noted them both. And I took a Vista dvd which doesn't look like an original
>> copy from a friend.
>>
>> Then I formatted and reinstalled Vista. I entered the labeled product key
>> but when tried to activate it, it said the key was invalid. I installed Vista
>> again and tried the other key. The result was same. Both keys are invalid
>> regarding to Microsoft. But how can it be? I bougt it from an original
>> manufacturer and seem to be genuine till formatting.
>>
>> Please help me! What's wrong with it? Could it be the dvd that I used? If I
>> try other dvds will it work? But they don't give a copy of it when you
>> purchase a pc!

Let me try to explain a little clearer:

When you purchase a computer from a large OEM, such as HP, which has
Windows pre-installed, the Key used to install the software at the
factory is NOT the same key as the one printed on the Certificate Of
Authenticity sticker which is placed on the machine.

This is why:
The OEM (in this case HP) received their Gold Masters, and created an
image for installation on MANY thousands of machine, using a special
CD key which is for thousands of machines, not a single one. This key
usually does not require activation by the user, since they are
usually activated at the factory before being shipped.

(My Dell desktop did not require activation by me, until I reinstalled
the OS, deleting all the hidden partitions, etc, using NON-Dell
installation media (a System Buider Kit I purchased from a local
shop).

However, as long as I used the Dell Vista installation media, no
activation was required.

The key on the side of the machine is usually a valid license (but not
necessarily the one found using a third-party tool just for disclosing
software keys for Windows), and may always be used to reinstall the
OS, but will always require activation.

Hope this clears up the matter.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the correct thread and article.
Eric

Re: Did the manufacturer do something wrong ?
Yes, you made it almost clear but I still can't understand why Vista lost its
genuineness after installation of Service Pack 1. I had to activate it again
(it let me 3 days to activate again) after SP1.

"Donald L McDaniel" wrote:

> Let me try to explain a little clearer:
>
> When you purchase a computer from a large OEM, such as HP, which has
> Windows pre-installed, the Key used to install the software at the
> factory is NOT the same key as the one printed on the Certificate Of
> Authenticity sticker which is placed on the machine.
>
> This is why:
> The OEM (in this case HP) received their Gold Masters, and created an
> image for installation on MANY thousands of machine, using a special
> CD key which is for thousands of machines, not a single one. This key
> usually does not require activation by the user, since they are
> usually activated at the factory before being shipped.
>
> (My Dell desktop did not require activation by me, until I reinstalled
> the OS, deleting all the hidden partitions, etc, using NON-Dell
> installation media (a System Buider Kit I purchased from a local
> shop).
>
> However, as long as I used the Dell Vista installation media, no
> activation was required.
>
> The key on the side of the machine is usually a valid license (but not
> necessarily the one found using a third-party tool just for disclosing
> software keys for Windows), and may always be used to reinstall the
> OS, but will always require activation.
>
> Hope this clears up the matter.
>

> Donald L McDaniel
> Please reply to the correct thread and article.

Donald L McDaniel

Re: Did the manufacturer do something wrong ?
On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 16:06:00 -0700, Eric
<Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Yes, you made it almost clear but I still can't understand why Vista lost its
>genuineness after installation of Service Pack 1. I had to activate it again
>(it let me 3 days to activate again) after SP1.

There really is no rational explanation of why Vista sometimes loses
its activation status for no apparent reason. Anyway, it's not that
Vista "lost its genuineness", but that it "lost its activation
status." If you bought and installed a genuine license, it is still
genuine, whatever the message said. However, "genuine" and
"activated" are different concepts altogether.

It's actually almost a "mystery" as to why some have to reactivate,
and some do not. I'm fairly certain that no one has an answer which
will fit most, if not all, cases. All I know is I've never had to
reactivate after installing a Service Pack on ANY version of Windows,
nor do the majority have to reactivate after this.

Unless you reformatted and reinstalled Vista. In which case, this
activation status was lost when the HD was formatted, since the
activation record on your computer was also deleted during the format.

When installing Vista, do NOT check "Activate when online", or you
will always get the "three days to activate" message.

In other words, I really don't believe anyone can answer your question
(even Microsoft) to your satisfaction. Might as well just accept that
it happened, and it might again, then go on from there.

We live in a quantum universe, where almost anything can happen at any
time, and probably does.

Sorry, Eric...

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the correct thread and article.
lolsonjr

RE: Did the manufacturer do something wrong ?
I had the same problem here with the activation disappearing with service pack 1.&nbsp; Started all over again and the problem has not come back.&nbsp;

Danny Ross

No, they didn't.
It's all described here:

http://forums.community.microsoft.co...-4ee59a5a8338/

It's talking about Vista but the principle is the same for XP. Basically, the key you discovered using Everest (et al.) was a key used during OEM install that produces a PC that doesn't have to be activated.

'Cos that would be a big pain for PC manufacturers and big IT departments

More info is on:

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-626665.php

Personally I don't know why Microsoft bother as WGA cracks and by-pass techniques are all over the web.