New computer except the hard drive

Dan

New computer except the hard drive
I recently purchased all new hardware except the hard drive and I want to
install my copy of Vista onto the new hardware. I know I will have to do a
completly new install and do not have a problem with that. What I want to
know is, will Microsoft let me do it? The old computer is going to be parted
out and not used.

I found the posts where I can do the telephone activation and am wondering
if this will work for me before I start the process.

Thank You
Bruce Chambers

Re: New computer except the hard drive
Dan wrote:
> I recently purchased all new hardware except the hard drive and I want to
> install my copy of Vista onto the new hardware. I know I will have to do a
> completly new install and do not have a problem with that. What I want to
> know is, will Microsoft let me do it? The old computer is going to be parted
> out and not used.

As long as you have a retail license for Vista, you should have no
problems.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
PvdG42

Re: New computer except the hard drive
news036772F-7EF8-4293-BF89-9EA44D63B52C@microsoft.com...
>I recently purchased all new hardware except the hard drive and I want to
> install my copy of Vista onto the new hardware. I know I will have to do a
> completly new install and do not have a problem with that. What I want to
> know is, will Microsoft let me do it? The old computer is going to be
> parted
> out and not used.
>
> I found the posts where I can do the telephone activation and am wondering
> if this will work for me before I start the process.
>
> Thank You

Is your Vista retail or OEM? If you have a retail license, there are no
issues with using it with the new hardware. You will heed to activate by
phone. If you have an OEM license, that license *is supposed to be tied to
the computer on which it was originally used*. It will be up to you whether
or not you try to use it on the new hardware.

Curious

Re: New computer except the hard drive
I recently had the same situation I had a new MOBO and new CPU. I did not
do anything to the HAD and Vista came up without any problem using the
existing HAD installation and even activated over the internet without
problem. I did not have to do a new install at all.