Error message - Do not have write privileges

Chelseaboy

Error message - Do not have write privileges
I am trying to startup a program i installed - Steam , but whenever i start
it, it pops up with an error message "Steam.exe (main exception): Unable to
write to the current Steam application folder. Please move Steam to a folder
where you have write privileges".

Does anyone know where i should move "Steam" to or how to change the write
privileges.

Currently Steam is in C:/Program files

Thanks to those that reply.
Rick Rogers

Re: Error message - Do not have write privileges
Hi Chelsea Boy,

First, some information as a manner of explanation: In Vista, users do not
have write privileges in normal runtime to protected system folders. This
would include the C:\Program Files directory tree. Instead, applications are
loaded into a virtual directory within the user's environment (the appdata
folder) when run. Properly coded applications will install to the Program
Files directory and run from the virtual one.

To my knowledge, the most recent release of the Steam engine is properly
coded to run under Vista's runtime parameters. I suspect perhaps you have an
older version that is not, and that is why you are encountering the error. I
would suggest removing the current installation and then downloading and
installing the most recent release. An alternate solution, though not
recommended, is to right click the icon and use "run as administrator",
which will give you sufficient privileges. Be aware though that this method
will also give a properly coded bit of malware access to these privileges as
well and may result in infection or corruption of the installation.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Chelseaboy" <Chelseaboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to startup a program i installed - Steam , but whenever i start
> it, it pops up with an error message "Steam.exe (main exception): Unable
> write to the current Steam application folder. Please move Steam to a
> folder
> where you have write privileges".
>
> Does anyone know where i should move "Steam" to or how to change the write
> privileges.
>
> Currently Steam is in C:/Program files
>
> Thanks to those that reply.

Sundara

Re: Error message - Do not have write privileges
Hi Rich Rogers,

Can i know what could be the solution made by the Steam engine
application to install in the vista. I am also have similar problem.

I have a config file in my application that need to be updated by all the
(user even normal user). In windows xp i maintain it in the "program files"
so there is not problem in updating for all users. But vista is not allowing
for the normal user. Where could i keep this config file so that all user can
update the files(i.e Every one can update the file).

With regards
Sundar